The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Suggestions for a PORTABLE MIC PREAMP to go with the Edirol R-09HR?
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Addict

Suggestions for a PORTABLE MIC PREAMP to go with the Edirol R-09HR?

First of all, I briefly read this post about portable mic preamps <https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=56622> and although it does address my main question, it doesn't answer my following concern...

A member of this community who was nice enough to introduce me to this Gearslutz forum by allowing me to chat him up for advices mentioned that any mic preamp has to have an XLR input to function.

I have an Edirol R-09HR portable recorder and I'm quite excited to experience the full potential of the microphone with a handy portable preamp... so I've been looking at this one: Core Sound — Mic2496 V2 (The Core Sound Mic 2496)

I also just had a look at this one <http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mm1master.htm>.

I will continue to search around for portable mic preamps, but how do I know for sure which ones will work with my Edirol recorder and which ones won't function with it?

This is why I'm here. Feel free to list some of your personal favorite portable mic preamps if you have them. The Core Sound preamp is $599. So... budget < $600.
Thank you for reading. Your assistance will be appreciated.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Personally, I'd go with something from Sound Devices. I've used a MixPre for years. It's a really good, clean preamp and very rugged. That Core Sound device looks like something someone put into a plastic project box. As I recall, the new MixPre has A/D as well as preamps. They also have slate mike, built-in oscillator and separate L-C-R mixing for each input.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Hi Otto,

Thanks. I've had a look at the MixPre now and it looks a good piece of gear. But I don't have so much experience with portable mic preamps...

So there would 3 main pieces of gear in my portable recording setup for field recordings.

*The Edirol R-09HR recorder... <http://www.amazon.com/Edirol-R-09HR-High-Resolution-WAVE-Recorder/dp/B0016MLUKU/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t>

*MS-TFB-2 - Master Series by Sound Professionals - New! Ultra low noise In-Ear Binaural microphones... <http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MS-TFB-2>

*And maybe this MixPre Compact Field Mixer from Sound Devices...

I know that the Edirol recorder uses phantom power to power the in-ear mics when I connect them via the mic-in line. But where does the MixPre come in ... How do I connect this preamp to the Edirol recorder?

Or is it that I don't need the Edirol recorder? Maybe all I need are the in-ear mics with the mic preamp connected via the mic/line input and that's it.

Is it feasible to be able to carry around these 3 pieces of gear when I'm walking around outside recording natural ambience? It needs to be a kind of robust setup so that I can move freely.

Thank you for your help.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Those mikes aren't phantom powered. They have a single 1/8" plug and need "plug-in" power which the Edirol provides. Not much point to using a separate preamp designed for passive or phantom low-impedance mikes. Just plug the mikes into the Edirol and be happy.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Oh yes, I'm sorry, plug-in power is what I meant but I made a hash of that one...

Okay, so... I do feel as if my in-ear binaural mics will provide me recordings with more fidelity if I have a portable mic preamp to go along with it. I just want to know if I'm right to think that.

If a portable mic preamp would get me better quality, I want to splurge the cash on whatever product works best...
If not... I'll splurge on better in-ear binaural mics. : )

Thanks mate.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Wait. What is it you're recording? I missed that part.

And why have you chosen these in-ear microphones for whatever this task is?

I have a hunch that your implicit dissatisfaction with your recordings is that you are using a screwdriver as a chisel.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Yeah, this sample is from the website for those in-ear mics:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/MP...n_musician.mp3

I haven't finished counting all the ways that this clip bothers me. The unlicensed use of "Wish You Were Here" is a start. I'll take a higher road than quibbling about the guitar playing and why one would wish to commit it to posterity. But I have to believe that this is one of the least practical ways to record, well... just about anything of great importance. So, my advice would be to first spend money on a more suitable mic. Tell us what you're recording, and better advice will come.

If the reason for these mics is that you need to be clandestine about your recording, then that's a topic to explore, as well.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Haha okay, well, I like in-ear microphones and the sound that they reproduce. I like the idea of placing the mic within the ear to record natural ambiance. I just want better field recordings than I'm getting now. But that's not to say I'd like to ditch in-ear binaural mic recording.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Actually, someone from Core Sound just sent me an email suggesting that I get omnidirectional Miniature Condenser Microphones like DPA 4060s or 4061s and have them custom-made into in-ear mics by E.A.R. for around a hundred bucks.
That sounds pretty cool.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteandsambo View Post
Actually, someone from Core Sound just sent me an email suggesting that I get omnidirectional Miniature Condenser Microphones like DPA 4060s or 4061s and have them custom-made into in-ear mics by E.A.R. for around a hundred bucks.
That sounds pretty cool.
An infinitely better idea. You will see more improvement from this than any preamp. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search