The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu drivers for PC
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

Motu drivers for PC

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using the 828 mkII on the pc, and how the drivers worked? I've heard some say that their drivers work well on mac but not pc. My other choice would be an rme multiface II. All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I do not have an 828 mkII but I'd like to take this oppotunity to lambaste MOTU for its ludicrous claim of Windows/PC support for the MTP AV. If that piece of gear and its dog**** Windows interface are any indication, that company pays very little real attention to Windows.

-synthoid, proud owner of a Mark Of The Useless Time Piece AV
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuskey
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using the 828 mkII on the pc, and how the drivers worked? I've heard some say that their drivers work well on mac but not pc. My other choice would be an rme multiface II. All opinions welcome. Thanks.
I have the MOTU 2408 MK III on pc.
Works fine with Cubase SX.
Some minor problems, but nothing to stop me recording.
I would agree they need to upgrade way more.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using the 828 mkII on the pc, and how the drivers worked?
Yup, been using them since the MKII came out on various machines and never had a single problem. Excellent drivers and a good bit of software (Cuemix) too.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi chuskey!

I use motu 828mkII all the time with my pc without any problem for two years. What I understand is that there has been some trouble using motu interface with certain fw chipsets. The fw card I'm using right now is LaCie and works well.

About motu's support I must say that they have been great to me! I've contact them once this winter regarding 64 bit drivers and they answerd me in an hour!

/Cojo
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

I appreciate all of the replies. I think that's what I might end up going with. The price seems right for the features you get. Thanks again.
Old 14th May 2006
My MOTU 828mkII seems to work fine in XP on my laptop and the stripped down version of WMCE on my cheapo tower. I've had it about two years.

The drivers seem solid for me. I don't know what Firewire chipset is in my laptop -- but after reading a number of recommendations -- I made sure to get a FW card based on the Texas Instrument FW chipset. And I've had no problems.

My only real complaint about the 828mkII is the mic preamps... on my unit they're overly dark, I've often used the description "muffled." The instrument input sounds pretty good on my naked Strat, though, and not bad on my fretless yamaha bass.

The DSP CueMix monitoring is handy and means you can get away without a mixer (although your output llevel control is on the digital side, so you may still want to have some form of external volume control so that you can run the output full open to make use of those 24 bits in monitoring.)

One thing, most folks have NO problems with the tiny amount of latency implicit in the CueMix (as with any digital mixer) but for some of us tender souls, it can be a tiny bit problematic monitoring something like direct input guitar, where the sound in your phones is maybe something under 2 ms behind what you're playing. 99.x% won't have any probs, though, I'm pretty sure. How many people bitch about the latency on digital mixers? Not many.
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
My MOTU 828mkII seems to work fine in XP on my laptop and the stripped down version of WMCE on my cheapo tower. I've had it about two years.

The drivers seem solid for me. I don't know what Firewire chipset is in my laptop -- but after reading a number of recommendations -- I made sure to get a FW card based on the Texas Instrument FW chipset. And I've had no problems.

My only real complaint about the 828mkII is the mic preamps... on my unit they're overly dark, I've often used the description "muffled." The instrument input sounds pretty good on my naked Strat, though, and not bad on my fretless yamaha bass.

The DSP CueMix monitoring is handy and means you can get away without a mixer (although your output llevel control is on the digital side, so you may still want to have some form of external volume control so that you can run the output full open to make use of those 24 bits in monitoring.)

One thing, most folks have NO problems with the tiny amount of latency implicit in the CueMix (as with any digital mixer) but for some of us tender souls, it can be a tiny bit problematic monitoring something like direct input guitar, where the sound in your phones is maybe something under 2 ms behind what you're playing. 99.x% won't have any probs, though, I'm pretty sure. How many people bitch about the latency on digital mixers? Not many.

I don't think that the latency will bother me. Does anyone know if the latency on direct monitoring is better/worse than with the rme stuff?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think that the latency will bother me. Does anyone know if the latency on direct monitoring is better/worse than with the rme stuff?
There's no discernable difference - I have both.
Old 15th May 2006
djk
Gear Head

Actually, I didn't have a great experience with an 828mkII and PC. I had the unit for about a month and returned it. It mostly worked fine. I would from time to time get very loud high pitched noises during playback. I spent a lot of time trying to fix it by reinstalling/downloading new drivers, downloading the XPSP2 firewire hotfix, switching to a TI based cardbus firewire adapter, and others. Ultimately, I couldn't resolve the problem. I also had a few other issues with the unit freezing on startup, though I'm not sure that was a XP/Motu compatibility issue.

After doing some research, I realized that my problem was not uncommon. Although many have been fine with MOTU/XP, there are a bunch of known issues, particularly with those running SP2.

Based on this, and my inability to get a stable setup, I returned the 828mkII. Instead, I am going to go with the new RME Fireface 400 when it comes out (RME has a reputation for being extremely stable on PC). While I really liked the flexibility of the 828, I just got too frustrated trying to get things to work right.

Again, this is only one person's opinion. Clearly, there are large numbers of people who have had no problems at all with MOTU and XP. That said, you should be mindful of the fact that problems are not uncommon (just do a quick search on the unicornation board and you will see what I mean).

Good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search