Analog Console - Get out of the Box
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

Analog Console - Get out of the Box

Hey guys. I have been recording and mixing on Protools TDM systems since 2000. I have an HD3 and good variety of outboard gear. Last year, I moved into a new C|24, after mixing on a Control 24 for about 4 years before that. I've had pretty good results using the C|24 for drums and other nicer outboard stuff for instruments and vocals. I have a daughter that was recently signed to a publishing deal with Universal, so I mix Pop, Rock, Pop, a have few Metal clients. I even did a funk band and Tex-Mex project. For the most part, I am pleased with the results I have gotten.

After having the opportunity to work for a national recording artist in an all analog environment, my interested in analog has been reignited. I purchased a very low hours Otari MTR-90 II and happened into a nice 16 track head stack for it. I have been bouncing tracks around in and out of protools for the past year, but feel compelled to move into an analog board. I have been looking for a few months, while reading a lot here. There are a few choices available locally and I wanted to run them buy the board here. I know there are a lot of bright cats here. If you feel like sounding in, its all good.

There is a nice Sony MXP-3036 here. It has all entry stock transformer less press, and entry level fixed Q EQ's. I know they are very modular, and can even find some upgraded variable Q and parametric EQ's fairly readily. All in all a very nice clean board that seems like a solid choice. I did spend some time looking at Trident Flexi-mix and Trimix boards. I have had a tough time turning the crank on the leads. There is an Otari Concept One out here for really cheap, but I kind of know its not what I want. Am I crazy to consider a Soundcraft 6000? What are your thoughts on the stock entry level Sony MXP-3036? Should I consider a Soundcraft to get started out of the box?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have. I realize there are a lot of opinions out there, but I welcome the discussion and thank you for any and all input. I am lucky in the fact that I am reasonably budget free, but want to make a sound investment. A board that someone will want if and when I move up.

Thanks so much!

PS Audio engine on Protools 10 does sound a lot better to me.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear
What is your budget?
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
What is your budget?
I guess I'd like to stay below $5,000-$6,000.00.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

I was incredibly surprised by my soundcraft desk, though mine is a 32 ghost le. Its a little dark but I was impressed by the eq's. So soundcraft might not be bad to get started.
Old 1st March 2012
Gear maniac

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search