The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to find a space for building a recording studio 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 29th February 2012
Gear maniac

How to find a space for building a recording studio

If you have never locked down a space for building an independent recording studio then please only reply with well thought out information.

Most places that I have called only want artists in their loft buildings.. Musicians don't seem to be allowed. Its difficult trying to find a space.. I'm in bushwick Brooklyn.

How did YOU find YOUR building?
Old 29th February 2012
I searched craigslist for 'industrial space' and emailed a few listings explaining what I wanted. One realtor in particular wrote back and had space in an old factory building. It was perfect.
Old 29th February 2012

I spent a long time driving around the areas I was interested in. Once I found some that i liked I called the agent. Ultimately I ended up leaving expressions of interest with a few agents. They'd call me when they had things coming on the market. It took me a good 18 months to find the 'right' place. Try and prepare your list of criteria before you find the building (ceiling height/transport links/local amenities etc) so that you don't just fall in love and buy something you'll regret later. Be prepared to walk away even if something looks good but doesnt meet your criteria. Good luck!
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

I feel for you. I looked into moving my studio back in 2004 after being dug in in a city east of San Diego 20 YEARS.. I looked in many suburbs of San Diego. Had to go to the different city planners departments. They have to figure out what they put a recording studio under. The city of "La Mesa" california didn't even want a recording studio. @#$% jerks. Sometimes they change their minds. You are an E15 no on second look you are a GR15 or whatever. You have to get their blessing otherwise you could set up a studio and they can come shut you down. I sort of concluded they look at recording studio as
SEX DRUGS AND ROCKIN ROLL GT.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search