The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Master Fader
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Master Fader

When you use dither or POWr do I go to the insert tab on the masterfader, then select autowrite or autoread and then play?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

i use it as last instance on the masterfader when doing the final bounce for the redbook cd.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks I knew that much, but I am not sure about how to actually use it.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

so what exactly do you want to know ?

why to dither ? wich one to use ?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I know to how to use it. Do I go to the master faders inserts, insert POWr and then select autowrite or autoread?? What is the next step, guys? Do I press play or record ?

thanks
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
I know to how to use it. Do I go to the master faders inserts, insert POWr and then select autowrite or autoread?? What is the next step, guys? Do I press play or record ?

thanks
Autoread/write is for automation. You don't need that for dither.

Insert the dither plugin on the last insert on the master fader, and that's it.

Record the result by recording to an external 2 track machine or bounce to disk to create your 2 track master.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

So I don't to do any automations? Just select dither when I am finished the project and bounce to disk?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Correct.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

What's the advantage of adding the pow-r dither when the bounce to disk dialogue already converts if you select 44.1. Also it seems L1/2 and Maxim offer dither. What would happen if they are all set to dither?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl
What's the advantage of adding the pow-r dither when the bounce to disk dialogue already converts if you select 44.1. Also it seems L1/2 and Maxim offer dither. What would happen if they are all set to dither?

Adding dither should be done converting 24 to 16 bits, its basicly adding a little shaped noise to avoid ticks in lower levels
If they are all set to dither you would add more noise wich is not desirable, cause it becomes audible.

Hope this makes sense,
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks Tommy. So when bouncing to disk and selecting 16 bit I should avoid pow-r dither? I normally send my mixes for mastering 24/48, but I would still be interested.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

well if you're boucing a track to 16 bits wich you recorded at 24 bits than you should add dither, once!
But some converter programs may do that allready for you. The advantage of adding dither yourself would be that you could match it to the type of music you're working with.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, might wanna read the Ozone Dithering guide.

It's a pretty good explanation of what dither is for and how it works, and it doesn't get too technical.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audi...eringGuide.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search