The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neil Young's New Protest Album
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neil Young's New Protest Album

Anyone else listened to "Living with War" yet? It's a killer example of how bad sounds, raw, unprocessed, empty tracks with extra-simple concepts can still hook into you and move you bigtime.

I can't stop listening to it. Sometimes ugly sound is just plain beautiful. He's always so good at that...

Did I mention it was recorded in 12 hours?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Not yet, but I am going to listen to it. Does it come in vinyl?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't even think you can get it on CD till next week, so I couldn't answer the vinyl question ;-)

I had to consume it in it's glorious 128kbps form. Just makes it that much more ugly, right?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ugly and wonderful!

ESSENTIAL!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yeah, a friend of mine sung on it and she was utterly stunned at the lack of production, and Neal's one-take wonder vocals (she said good or bad, he'd do a take and that was it!)

mitchell
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

He's always making a statement...wonder what this one's about
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think his statement is; music is about humanity, raw and ugly but sometimes beautiful and sublime. It's not about perfect production which removes all of these elements.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray

Did I mention it was recorded in 12 hours?
It sounds like it was written and recorded in 12 hours to me. I really like some of Young's music, but this just is not up to par IMO.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

The record sounds great. More rock, less politicians.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
It sounds like it was written and recorded in 12 hours to me. I really like some of Young's music, but this just is not up to par IMO.
I wouldn't care if he used a radio shack mic and a tape recorder, hit a power chord and screamed 'F U Mr. ____' (so as not to alienate anyone or give away my political leanings, I'll let you guys fill in the blanks as you see fit) for an hour-I'd still buy it.

Rock on Neil
Old 13th May 2006
CD is out and in stores now.

It's a little strange to hear Neil talk about "our country" in protest when he's Canadian. Celine Dion did the same thing on Larry King when she cried about the looters in New Orleans taking TVs and other appliances.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neil Young is hardly Canadian - he's been in the US for 35 years and only comes up here for visits once in a blue moon.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
CD is out and in stores now.

It's a little strange to hear Neil talk about "our country" in protest when he's Canadian. Celine Dion did the same thing on Larry King when she cried about the looters in New Orleans taking TVs and other appliances.
Yeah, I bet the Native Americans were kinda scratching their heads in disbelief when they were watching the Europeans divide and sell off their home land.
Old 13th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
Yeah, I bet the Native Americans were kinda scratching their heads in disbelief when they were watching the Europeans divide and sell off their home land.
Especially after we broke all 440 some-odd treaties we made with them.

You would think that after - gee, I don't know - 100 broken treaties they would have said "you know, we can't trust these Pale Faces - let's scalp them and get back to life as we know it".
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
Espeically after we broke 440 some-odd treaties with them.

You would think that after - gee, I don't know - 100 broken treaties they would have said "you know, we can't trust these Pale Faces - let's scalp them and get back to life as we know it".
If I'm not mistake we've never honered ANY treaty we signed with the Native Americans.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neil Young. This guy should do a little more research before he expresses his opinion about the war. The thing that kills me is that all these Bush anti war people (especially uneducated musicians) dont seem to have a problem that Kerry, Kennedy, Clinton, Pelosi et al. all said the same thing about Saddam not being allowed to be a menace to the region and they all rightfully supported Bill Clinton bombing his ass back in 1998.

Irrespective of what side of the isle you may put yourself on, I think its important to recognize that there isn't a whole hell of a difference between a democrat and a republican these days. Here is an example: Conservatives are supposed to be fiscally conservative yet Bush has outspent everyone under the sun. Democrats are supposed to be tolerant, yet God forbid you use the word "God" outside of your house.

Whatever, I dont give a coitus right now, I'm going to drink a beer.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart
Neil Young. This guy should do a little more research before he expresses his opinion about the war.

You don't necessarily have to do ANY research in order to have an opinion. You know the old saying..."opinions are like a##holes, everybody has one".

But, I believe the original post was about the recording and NOT Neil's opinions. So, if you have nothing to say about the original post then you should keep your opinion to yourself.

Enjoy your beer.
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Neil Young is hardly Canadian - he's been in the US for 35 years and only comes up here for visits once in a blue moon.
Are you saying then that he has become an American citizen? Because if you're going to protest "our country's" war, I would think you should be a citizen of that country.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

This album has changed the way we write... I'm going to take this down in a day or so, but just wanted to show ya'll a song Arizona wrote/recorded the first time we listened to Living with War... just something we did for fun
Attached Files
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else listened to "Living with War" yet?
Does sound cool ...great ringy power chords, and a hundred people singing in unison.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

Sorry I've nothing to add to the Neil Young topic--I don't have the record yet, but I'm going to be buying it ASAP. I'm one of those who just loves his rockier stuff, even if it sounds like crap.

As a student of history, I think I have an answer to this, however:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee
If I'm not mistake we've never honered ANY treaty we signed with the Native Americans.
Its not a "national" treaty or anything, but I believe in the late 19th century, after the Civil War, the city of Fredricksburg signed a treaty with the local Native Americans of non-violence and trade. This was never broken I am relatively sure, and to this very day, it is still celebrated in the region.

Orren
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

A passionate record by a passionate human being. Isn't that what music should be about?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Flags Of Freedom ...

Quote:
I don't have the record yet, but I'm going to be buying it ASAP.
You can hear some at his site ...http://www.neilyoung.com/
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you saying then that he has become an American citizen?
No, he's not a US citizen. But he lives there, pays his taxes, and has a vested interest since all his children are born in the US and ARE citizens.

Quote:
Because if you're going to protest "our country's" war, I would think you should be a citizen of that country.
I'm sure you didn't think about that. Doesn't the US protest the wars of other countries? USSR/Afghanistan, Arab/Israeli, Iraq/Kuwait. Not only protest, but even goes as far as to send tanks - nevermind singing a crappy songheh So I think it's fair for the individual to protest the actions of a state they are not a citizen of - everybody's doing it

BTW, I;ve not heard the album and in no way am I supporting his politics. I'm just trying to be fair.
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
No, he's not a US citizen. So I think it's fair for the individual to protest the actions of a state they are not a citizen of - everybody's doing it
I have no problem with him protesting our involvement in Iraq. I love Neil Young and have been listening to his music since the late 60's.

This isn't his first work of protest songs (Ohio, Soldier, etc.) I only take issue when someone says "our country" when they are not a citizen of it, as the soldirs who are fighting over there are.

I would like to see us get out of there as soon as possible, but it is life or death for them every day, while rich rock stars and rich actors sit back in the comfort of the wealthy lifestyles and protest "our" involvement in the war. Not ONE actor at the Oscar telecast this year had any words of support for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, but they had plenty to say about Bush.

Some of these actors were the same ones who said they'd leave the country if Bush got re-elected. Yeah, right.

-g

Last edited by GilWave; 16th May 2006 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: forgot to add Oscar telecast reference
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, Neil can have his opinion and the beer was quite good thank you.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

This isn`t directed to anybody really but I think sometimes when people get older and more into politics they tend to forget that rock n`roll was allways kinda anti political whether it was blatent in the lyrics or just overtly rebelious.

Just the idea of a "pro politician" musician makes me cringe.

Talk about lame.

Now this doesn`t mean that I necessarily agree or embrace every ideal that a anti-political artist holds true.

It`s just kind of part of the romantiscisim that music is supposed to have. Artistic liscence and all that. You gotta have something to write about other than your baby right ? What if she`s boring ? heh
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thank god for Neil Young. One guy left (o.k Dylan is another one) who just does his thing and doesn't give a F what anybody else thinks. And you know what? I think he just NEEDS to get this stuff out and I think it's totally honest. You sure can't accuse hin of following trends, musical OR political. He pissed off the 'left' in the past too.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love Neil.

Picked up the new album today.
I had been checking it out on Neil's myspace page. He has the whole album posted.

It is Neil plugged in with a choir behind him on most of the songs. It's not up to Ragged Glory's songwriting caliber but it is good.

I have to live with it for a while.

I also picked up CSN&Y Deja Vu. I am going to their concert in July. I have never seen Neil live and I am not putting it off anymore.

Todd
Old 15th May 2006
More cowbell!

actually, if you read a little, you will find that Neil was one of the few musicians who heavukt supported the war in Afganisant, and even then Iraq, from the start until very recently. Indeed, the quickness of this writing and recording was in reaction to his own recent change of view on the matter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search