The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD-1 delay comp help
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

UAD-1 delay comp help

Example(in PT LE)

I put a 1176LN on a snare track, I ctrl+click on the tracks vol, the delay amount is 3072 samples. Wether I nudge the track back or foward( 1 milli or 2 seconds) the "3072 delay" remains the same. What is the best way to compensate for the plugins delay in PT LE? (without putting the delay-comp plug on every other track)
Is there a chart that converts U. Audio's "sample delay " amount to how much to nudge in Pro tools?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

The old saying, "more than one way to skin a cat" I too am interested in Protool LE users approach to this. I use the delay comp plug, but when I mix it up using Waves plugs it convolutes the issue a bit.

Where does that "more than one way to skin a cat" come from? Did people skin cats or is this a jazz thing?heh
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm

(at least an attempt to answer the 'cat' question)

Before I start mixing, I sometimes put four clicks on each track at the beginning or the end so I can hear how to line them up when I've started to put different plugins on them all. It's kind of a 'stone age delay compensation' but it works fine. If the clicks line up, the tracks will line up, ultimately.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Somone gave me this suggestion on this site, can't remember who but....it does require some use of the delay comp plugs, hope that is OK

The suggestion surrounded creating a bus for all of those tracks that required delay compensation. Depending on how many plugs are on each channel you may have to create more than bus group. You than place the delay comp on the bus channel and away you go ----- or something like that.

In this method you only end having to use a couple of Delay plugs as opposed to 20.

Good luck
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear
Max has a clever way of dealing with it. Never thought of that. Yeah, if you shift a track to account for the delay it won't change the latency reading on the track. The latency reading is there to help you determine how many samples to shift the track. When I was using Pro Tools I'd usually have to combine both methods of delay compensation. Usually, I'd start out with a Delay Comp on every track set to 4. As I'd add effects I'd lower it by one count with each UAD plug I added. If I wanted to add a verb to all the drums then I'd start the grouping method. It gets to be a pain in the ass really. The grouping method may be easier if you start out that way. It just seemed more confusing to me because if you apply an 1176 to just the OH's then you have to send it to a separate group from the kick/snare (if you don't add any UAD FX to the kick/snare tracks). No problem.......unless you want to add a plate verb (UAD) to all the drums. Then how do you group the drums? Aux sends certainly won't work. I started with the Delay Comp on each track b/c it was just easier for me. Ultimately, this was one of the reasons I got rid of my LE rig. It wasn't the only reason, just one of many. The waves latency should really be pretty minimal.
Good luck - Matt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search