The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio monitor adivce, please.
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

Studio monitor adivce, please.

I'm looking for monitors for a small home studio, 12X14 or so, for pop/rock. Have about $500 to spend and am considering KRK V4 Series 2. Anyone have any experience with these? Anyone have alternatives in the same price range?
Old 13th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

The V4 relies heavily on a bump in the low mids, reacting similar to a boom box speaker. I use them every day, but as a second reference to see how a 4" woofer will react to my mixes. I think they're great for that.

In the under $500 category there isn't a lot, but I'd try and put my ears on a set of Tascam VL-X5. With almost 12" deep cabinets, a 5.25" driver etc, they are actually an honest sounding speaker without hype. The bass is much more realistic than other lower end speakers, and the response is quite linear when bringing them up from quiet to loud.

They get loud too, without the mids / lows breaking up.

War
Old 13th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'm looking for monitors for a small home studio, 12X14 or so, for pop/rock. Have about $500 to spend and am considering KRK V4 Series 2. Anyone have any experience with these? Anyone have alternatives in the same price range?
Here's a good one, Hafler the power amp and studio monitor company has gone out of business, there is a company on ebay called High Desrt Audio that is selling Hafler stuff. Hafler made a monitor called the TRM 6 which was a 1200 a pair set of speakers. High Desert is auctioning them starting at 400 a pair or selling individuals 200 ea. No one has really caught on to this so you might get them for 400 but you sshould'nt really pay much more. These are nice speakers with really good components. They are much nicer than the v4's, enjoy
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

If your budget is that low and it's your only monitors, I'd say to take a look at some home audio JBL's. The E100, E90, and the E80 would be good and the E50 if you absolutely must have a bookshelf/console speaker. You'll need and amp if you don't have one already. Any 100+ watt stereo amp would do fine. After getting and amp, get the largest of those models that still fits in the remainder of your budget. Put them behind your desk or console. Put them up on cinder blocks if they're not high enough. Turn them in until you start losing high end, up to about 45 degrees. Try and give them some room to breathe away from the wall if you can. Should do you well, and give you some actual bass over the V4's.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Tannoy Reveal actives have been discontinued for their newer line. I'm pretty sure Sweetwater and some other retailers have some left... these used ot go for around $800 a pair. I think the blowout price is around $400 a pair.

I LOVE mine; had them for a few years now. When I upgraded to these, my mixes improved immediately. They are detailed without being harsh. I can listen to mine all day without fatigue.
Old 17th May 2006

don't forget the KRK ST6 - and maybe a used amp (or an RA150 if it has to be new).....

-tINY

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Blue Sky Media Desk.. Sweetness.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search