The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a money pre that looks slutty!
Old 23rd May 2006
Dot
Lives for gear

glitch, if you wanna "impress" your clients, a mic preamp is about the dumbest and least-obvious place to do it. I agree with Jay. Clients aren't going to even know, much less give two ****s about your mic preamps.

If you wanna get some big, honkin' mic - that's understandable, because it's going to be right in the clients' face. Companies like Peluso, Pearlman, CharterOak make big and impressive-sounding mics that are reasonably priced.

Make sure you have some nice headphones. And a good headphone mix for the singer/s. That's often the single most important factor in getting someone to really nail a good vocal track.

A good pair of monitors. Nothing gets a client juiced like hearing their music on good monitors in a good room.

Other than that, as Jay posted, consider the "creature comforts" - paint job, lighting, vibe, studio chairs, nice couch, artwork, clean bathroom - stuff that has a direct effect on the client and their experience in your studio.

FWIW, if you're looking for a "big" sounding pre mostly for male rock vocals I'd suggest Phoenix Audio DRS, Great River NV, RND Portico 5012, Chandler Germanium, Chandler LTD-1, Vintech Dual 72, Vintech X73.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot

FWIW, if you're looking for a "big" sounding pre mostly for male rock vocals I'd suggest Phoenix Audio DRS, Great River NV, RND Portico 5012, Chandler Germanium, Chandler LTD-1, Vintech Dual 72, Vintech X73.
So more or or less, a Neve clone of some desciption?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
dude the guy that builds these was really annoying quite a while ago, trying to push his stuff in every post..............
I dont see a problem with that. It is more acceptable from his mouth than hearing dealers pimp items at every post. At least it was his product. The proof of the puddings in the eating..Ive heard good things about them.
If that were your source of income, youd probably try to sell a few here and there yourself..
Old 25th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot
Clients aren't going to even know, much less give two ****s about your mic preamps.

If you wanna get some big, honkin' mic - that's understandable, because it's going to be right in the clients' face.
I see your side, but from my experience, people like to see a rack full of flashy gear, and if there's a piece that looks super sweet to them, and then you tell them that's what their voice will go through, it makes an impact.

I've got a few nice mics. Even one BIG flashy mic.

I've got a good amount of creature comforts, but I agree that that's a very good suggestion.

I've got some good pres. I don't have a big flashy pre with the $$$ look and sound. Bling.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing says "slut" more than having too many to choose from so how about:

Vox Box
GAMMA
Presonus ADL600
Germanium
GML
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot

So more or or less, a Neve clone of some desciption?
Not sure how the folks at Rupert Neve Designs would feel about you characterising their Portico 5012 as a "Neve clone"...
Old 25th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky
Not sure how the folks at Rupert Neve Designs would feel about you characterising their Portico 5012 as a "Neve clone"...
To be honest, I'd like a Portico, but they're not even a SINGLE rack space! Lame, IMO. The Neve should have some wow factor.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I owned a 737(silver) and a pair of gmls. The GMLs sounded MUCH MUCH better in 90% of the applications but the clients picked the Avalon EVERY TIME! The GMLs just didn't look cool enough..... I sold the 737 and never looked back which worked out well because they could no longer make me use it when the other pres sounded better! But for looks the Avalon wins every time!
Old 25th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot
glitch, if you wanna "impress" your clients, a mic preamp is about the dumbest and least-obvious place to do it. Clients aren't going to even know, much less give two ****s about your mic preamps.
i think many clients can and will be impressed by gear selection.
everybody likes cool gear and today you can both looks and awesome sound!
it is a good time to be a gearslutz!
i do feel quality in both sound and build should be foremost.
if looks did not matter then we could all be served slop when we went out for some fine dinning.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
if looks did not matter then we could all be served slop when we went out for some fine dinning.
Slop indicates that the ingredients are bad. My clients couldnt care less about what my gear looks like as long as it sounds good. Maybe this attitude is more dominant with certain genres?
Old 25th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Slop indicates that the ingredients are bad. My clients couldnt care less about what my gear looks like as long as it sounds good. Maybe this attitude is more dominant with certain genres?
Those with insecurity and egos.
Old 25th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Slop indicates that the ingredients are bad.
not necisarily.

Quote:
My clients couldnt care less about what my gear looks like as long as it sounds good. Maybe this attitude is more dominant with certain genres?
i do not buy gear based on looks, but for some clients looks may trip their trigger.
lots of people buy things based on appearances, guitars to cars, thats just a fact.
with some this same mentality will follow over to the studio they may choose, more experienced individuals will not be as biased.
personally i buy gear i like and really do not care about what is seen or not seen.
i just feel the comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot
glitch, if you wanna "impress" your clients, a mic preamp is about the dumbest and least-obvious place to do it.
was not necessarily true, although Dot did follow with some good advice, i am not sure it is dumb to want slutzy looking gear.
today we can have slutzy looks as awesome sound and build quality!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Any luck with Electronaut?? Man, I want one BAD myself.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Quote:
My clients couldnt care less about what my gear looks like as long as it sounds good. Maybe this attitude is more dominant with certain genres?
Heh. IOW, *all* genres, I guess.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky
Heh. IOW, *all* genres, I guess.
Oh yes, there is a sickening amount of Arrogance in the Classical Realm.Thats one of the reasons I took a break from Singing for a couple years(in the middle of the 2 year break now, and it is fantastic!) It isnt gear snobbery , as most of the groups I record dont know ANYTHING about gear. In no other genre will you find as many Divas as in classical music. Guaranteed. Men and Women. You will also not find as much pretense anywhere else. I love the music, but the singers, players, and conductors(and some classical engineers, DIVAS)ive found to be obnoxious. Thats why I always go back to classic country music and punk.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
Shadow Hills definetly gets my vote for sluttiest looking.
Shadow Hills Golden Age Mic Pre...Houston Control ...we have lift off

http://www.shadowhillsindustries.com/preamps.php
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
While I'm finally awaiting to have them face to face this week, based on pics the A Designs Pacifica is just....real perty!

War
I'm sorry man, I have to disagree with you. To me, that piece just looks real bland and boring. I'm sure it sounds great, but it's really lacking the the sex appeal department. I do agree that the ADL600 is sexy looking though. Also, the Avalon 737 does look pretty sexy, especially the Mercenary edition, along with the Liquid channel. I'm in the same boat as espasonico, a big computer screen with big monitors and clients go nuts.
Old 26th May 2006
Quote:
Oh yes, there is a sickening amount of Arrogance in the Classical Realm.Thats one of the reasons I took a break from Singing for a couple years(in the middle of the 2 year break now, and it is fantastic!) It isnt gear snobbery , as most of the groups I record dont know ANYTHING about gear. In no other genre will you find as many Divas as in classical music. Guaranteed. Men and Women. You will also not find as much pretense anywhere else. I love the music, but the singers, players, and conductors(and some classical engineers, DIVAS)ive found to be obnoxious. Thats why I always go back to classic country music and punk.
I think the reason classical is different is that they have plenty of ego, but not much insecurity (even when they should)!

It's the combo of insecurity and ego that's the killer and plagues modern artists and bands (and engineers).
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Wunder
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Throw an old "12 b/w tv in the rack...tell them the pre comes with a video monitor.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just get one of these and then choose whichever preamp you think will sound best and you'll have the best of both worlds.

-Durado
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Guru

I always thought the Focusrite Red 1 looks really nice. I've heard it isn't the best sounding pre, I've never really used one. But it is pretty.

Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Build your own and use a creative faceplate! Something along that line:

Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab
The Behringer sure looks nice? I bet they wouldn't even know...
Yes they would. This thing sounds like ass.

Even someone with a tin ear would not be fooled by it.

I think that's the one where they have a regular car bulb light in there behind the tubes, to simulate enough real voltage.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I always thought the Focusrite Red 1 looks really nice. I've heard it isn't the best sounding pre, I've never really used one. But it is pretty.

It is a bit colored, but IMO it sounds awesome.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

I always thought the Focusrite Red series looked cheap. They also feel cheaper than they look. They also sound slightly less cheap than they feel.

If you want something that looks cool, why not buy one of these for $120 (make sure you don't plug it into anything, tho!!)
Then you can spend the money you save on something that actually sounds good!

Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpanties
just put a picture of your mom on it. she's pretty slutty.
lol
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
I always thought the Focusrite Red series looked cheap. They also feel cheaper than they look. They also sound slightly less cheap than they feel.

I think they look great, especially in person, and seems pretty solid too.
Old 27th May 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
i always liked the look
those round vu meters are cool looking.
the color dose not do much for me but it is ok.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

remember...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the tubes are skin deep

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search