The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a money pre that looks slutty!
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Wha is that? Looks nice and slutty! Does it sound good? Link please?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
As to the Gamma, I would love the 8, but the 2 channel looks pretty sweet as well...
The Shadows Hills Gama Deluxe... Two channel AND a summing mixer. Sluttiest looking EVER!!!
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I think the Inward Connections stuff is up there with Shadow H.

The gutsy thing to do would be to run 'em through a Behringer but put a high-end pre in the rack and make 'em think it's what they're hearing. When they say it sounds great, you can tell 'em what it is.
That Inward Connections setup looks sweet!

As far as Behringer, yes, it does have a little bit of bling, but there's no chance I'd allow something like that in my studio! I DO care about sound, and even if I'm not using it, I just think having Behringer in my studio will make everything sound worse. hahaha.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wha is that? Looks nice and slutty! Does it sound good? Link please?

http://www.papa-movie.com/html/preamp.html
Hand Crafted Labs..do a search here.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i love the way the inward connections stuff looks and sounds.
same with shadow hills.
fearn is great too.

-cd
Old 14th May 2006
Okay:

- Manley VoxBox - favorite, but a bit out of my range.
- DW Fearn VT-2 - VERY good looking, but a little more than I want to go. Who knows?
- Presonus ADL 600 - nice, slutty, and pretty affordable!
- UA LA610 - nice, good compressor and a 610 pre
- Dual Neve Rack - just too much $$$ for right now
- Revolution R47 - could be a good choice, but I'll have to see where it's available and what their return policy is
- Avalon AD2022 - super sweet looking and sounds pretty darn good. I'm not a big fan of the 737, other than the look
- Shadow Hills Gamma Deluxe - super slutty and I'm sure it sounds killer!
- GT ViPRE - yes, and I also really like it's cheaper little brother the SuPRE, but I'd have to hear it first

???'s

- MindPrint DTC - looks pretty amzing, but how does it sound?
- HCL Affinity a2 - on the list to check out
- Gyraf, Revolution R47, A-Designs MP-2, and SPL Goldmike are all on the list to check out as well

Thanks everyone. For those that posted negatively about judging a book by its cover, I will NOT buy anything that doesn't sound good, but I DO need some bling. I don't have a mega console, I don't have a mega control surface, I don't have huge mains. Everything I've got is for function - that's why I need to expand. People do expect to be WOW'd when they go into a studio. Yes, I can wow people by playing them some recordings I've done, but there's even that effect that good looking gear makes on a client's performance - makes them feel like a star, to an extent.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay:

- DW Fearn VT-2 - VERY good looking, but a little more than I want to go. Who knows?
- Revolution R47 - could be a good choice, but I'll have to see where it's available and what their return policy is
- Avalon AD2022 - super sweet looking and sounds pretty darn good. I'm not a big fan of the 737, other than the look
- GT ViPRE - yes, and I also really like it's cheaper little brother the SuPRE, but I'd have to hear it first

???'s

- Gyraf, Revolution R47, A-Designs MP-2, and SPL Goldmike are all on the list to check out as well

Thanks everyone. For those that posted negatively about judging a book by its cover, I will NOT buy anything that doesn't sound good, but I DO need some bling. I don't have a mega console, I don't have a mega control surface, I don't have huge mains. Everything I've got is for function - that's why I need to expand. People do expect to be WOW'd when they go into a studio. Yes, I can wow people by playing them some recordings I've done, but there's even that effect that good looking gear makes on a client's performance - makes them feel like a star, to an extent.
Don't know how the DTC sounds, but Sound on sound gave it a killer review and i did a search today @ GS and there are people over here who totally rave about it!
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Combined with word of mouth, I have gotten “the job” over other
places because of the “gear” and its look.
=============================================================
I had one owner that lost a rather large job call me, we’re friends, asking why?

He had a secretary, I don’t.

He took client to an expensive fancy lunch. At my place cliient and me had a quick sandwich without leaving studio.

Other studio had more “interns”, I was doing all but some tech work myself.
Rates were about the same.

Client said I got the work "because":

1. The other studio had spent more money on overhead: secretary, interns, etc.
(I had spend more on tools to get job done, “gear, looked nice”).

2. Other studio would be using clients work for training interns.
(He would get more from me, cause I was doing all the work and
I was the guy with the experience).

3. I seemed more focused on the work and how it needed to be done.
(Other studio was more focused on fancy lunches and pretty secretary).
==============================================================
Back on topic:

From your list I have used and will keep:

DW Fearn VT-2
GT ViPRE , can barely stop myself from getting a second unit

I don’t comment on stuff I haven’t lived with.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

the vintech 1272 is kinda slutty looking with the chicken head knobs and big vintage looking power light (same light as my vintage fender amps)
i think it sounds good too, very beefy.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

did you check out the handcrafted labs stuff??

OH YEAH,

dont rule out Electronaut,,,sounds FANTASTIC, number of different transformer options...you can choose what xformers you want in there. a 2ch version is 1800. RobRoy(the designer) is the man!
http://www.electronaut.info/old_site...cts/index.html

Quote:
Okay:

???'s

Old 15th May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
None of your clients are gonna' know or care about what you spent on a mic amp or ANY other piece of gear besides the "big console" or whatever.

Probably about 90% of them couldn't tell the difference between a $400 box and a $4000 box just by looking at it.

**** man, I have guys look & point at my Funk Logic panel & say to their bandmates; "I don't know what that does, but it's red & has 3-knobs so it must be expensive and good!"

If you want to increase the "WOW" factor, then invest the $3K into a console or better yet...clean the place up & give it a new coat of paint & some better mouldings & stuff...better lighting, cool pictures, and creature comforts like a lounge w/a decent couch, fridge & TV and/or video games are HUGE if your running a commercial facility.

If I walk into a studio & see junk all over the place & a wonky setup and/or it vibes like a doctors office or somebodys home I won't book there REGARDLESS of what gear they might have or what the rate might be.

I doubt that most people would argue me...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Avalon Design 20xx series.

I love the way that AD2022 sounds on good vocalists. It is very clean and responsive, tons of headroom. The AD2044 is a good compressor for tracking because it is quite neutral so you're not at much risk of being stuck with a coloration that doesn't work well later. Very quiet gear too; the AD2022 is great with a mic that needs a lot of gain, like the SM7B. And tough as nails. I zorched mine by plugging it into a Chinese outlet without reconfiguring the supplies (I know, I'm an idiot) and it did nothing but cook the fuses in the power supplies.

Good, simple, reliable gear, and by all accounts some of the best-looking gear around.

-synthoid
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
I need a big sounding preamp for vocals (single or stereo) that has a "wow!" look to it. Something that the clients will think sounds better thanks to the looks. But, I do want it to sound good too. It will be mostly male rock vocals.

I don't want anything half rack (sorry, Great River is out). 2 rack spaces is preferred.

I like the Groove Tubes SuPRE, and the Vintech 273 (not super slutty, but I can sneak that 'N' word in there). Chandler Germanium? I don't need EQ or anything like that.

Suggestions anyone?
I'm giving you 5 bonus points for honesty... heh heh heh
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Liquid Channel Looks Has Quite A WOW Look In The Rack.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Avalon 737SP
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

i get a lot of comments from my UA 6176. great pre and compressor.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Shadow Hills Industries GAMA

heh heh heh

GAMA #3 is working swell 4 me

8 channels...4 rack spaces...38 lbs....
Old 15th May 2006

Here's a couple more to look at...

I will say that I've never gotten more compliments on the looks of a piece of gear, than I have with the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII....
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you wanna impress your clients buy a BIIIGGGG computer screen, a couple of Aerons and Big speakers. Then you can use something like a GR.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley
Avalon 737SP
I love the look, but I'm not a big fan of the sound. I do like the AD2022 alot though.
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

this looks slutty

[URL="http://www.fairman.dk/gfx/trc-mk3.jpg"]
Attached Thumbnails
Need a money pre that looks slutty!-trc-mk3.jpg  
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
did you check out the handcrafted labs stuff??

OH YEAH,

dont rule out Electronaut,,,sounds FANTASTIC, number of different transformer options...you can choose what xformers you want in there. a 2ch version is 1800. RobRoy(the designer) is the man!
http://www.electronaut.info/old_site...cts/index.html
Wow!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow!
Yep, it is fantastic, looks stunning...has swappable Xformer cards...only 1800 bucks..

whats not to love?
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Yep, it is fantastic, looks stunning...has swappable Xformer cards...only 1800 bucks..

whats not to love?
Indeed!

Currently at the top of my considerations!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
If you wanna impress your clients buy a BIIIGGGG computer screen, a couple of Aerons and Big speakers. Then you can use something like a GR.

My vote for diversionary bling would be a second monitor with something like Metric Halo's Spectra Foo running it's spectragram or phase torch. Mic pre? What Mic pre? Ooooh... look at the pretty colors dance with the music.

Yeah it's easier to impress folks with the looks of other things. Hell IMO the BAE stuff looks ugly as shyte to me but I would love a pair of those 1084's. For that matter a real Neve branded 1084 ain't much to look at although it get all of us here tight in the shorts.

In the spirit of this post though my vote for bling factor would be the gold crackle finish Millenia Media Origin STT-1. And hey it probably doesn't sound too bad either.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

ADL600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if size matters, you gotta get these
Attached Thumbnails
Need a money pre that looks slutty!-trc.jpg  
Old 15th May 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk
My vote for diversionary bling would be a second monitor with something like Metric Halo's Spectra Foo running it's spectragram or phase torch. Mic pre? What Mic pre? Ooooh... look at the pretty colors dance with the music.

Indeed.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
http://www.papa-movie.com/html/preamp.html
Hand Crafted Labs..do a search here.

dude the guy that builds these was really annoying quite a while ago, trying to push his stuff in every post..............
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

anyways..my pick
Attached Thumbnails
Need a money pre that looks slutty!-473-large.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search