The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using hardware preamp to warm up software amp sims Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Head

using hardware preamp to warm up software amp sims

Hi!

I'm looking for ways to implement hardware into producing guitarsounds via amp sim vsts.

I have Softube vintage and metal amp room, amlitube and redwirez cab sims.

I produce mainly indie and rock stuff.

I'm thinking of a versatile preamp/od to put as first chain before the amp sims or just put a poweramp sim and a cabinet on it.

I looked at many tube rack units and tube pedals too, but can't decide which could be the best for me. So the purpose is warming up the signal before going into the amp sims. I have a 400$ budget for this.

So this is what I've looked at:

1. Rocktron Voodu Valve

2. Blackstar HD dual (winner so far)

3. AMT ss-20

4. Mesa V-twin

Any other? Also, is it better to have several tube pedals or one expensive rack unit?
I really like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j8Gd6TBVw

and this too (seems kinda Vox-ish to me)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzYgD...01RVAAAAAAAAAw

Last edited by grabovsky; 28th February 2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Youtube didn't embed
Old 28th February 2012
You're doing "indie" like that? Oh my... how far have they fallen. I thought Indie still had its soul intact. What do I know?

Whenever I do any recordings of Indie bands (often) I'm thankful I have a few AC30s as we always find "The sound" and print it.

Everyone's happy about committing to a sound. But your findings are different?
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Maniac

My experience with amp sims hasn't necessarily been a problem of lack of "warmth"; rather the ones I've tried (Guitar Rig with Redwires impulses and PODFarm) seem to add a lot of stuff starting at 4k and up. I really can't put my finger on it. Kind of hiss, kind of a distortion, kind of a phasey noise. I don't know. Doesn't cut out well with a LPF either. Also, dynamics weren't the same with the sim. Not bad, not good just...different. More subdued. Like someone slapped an LA-2A on the track when I wasn't looking. Could have been my imagination I guess.

That being said - there's some "speaker simulator" boxes that I think you'd be interested in if you're looking to recreate an authentic guitar amp sound with a simulator. I think Palmer is the company that makes a highly-regarded one. I'm sure there are lots out there.

Seriously, the preamp isn't the answer with amp sims; it's something that best emulates the sound of a speaker plus a microphone which involves a pretty limited and strongly nodal frequency band moving pretty large volumes of air.

Good luck!
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Can't see your pics/vids, so I dunno if this has been mentioned, but the Badcat 2 Tone is a very nice tube OD/preamp.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammalord View Post
My experience with amp sims hasn't necessarily been a problem of lack of "warmth"; rather the ones I've tried (Guitar Rig with Redwires impulses and PODFarm) seem to add a lot of stuff starting at 4k and up. I really can't put my finger on it. Kind of hiss, kind of a distortion, kind of a phasey noise. I don't know. Doesn't cut out well with a LPF either. Also, dynamics weren't the same with the sim. Not bad, not good just...different. More subdued. Like someone slapped an LA-2A on the track when I wasn't looking. Could have been my imagination I guess.

That being said - there's some "speaker simulator" boxes that I think you'd be interested in if you're looking to recreate an authentic guitar amp sound with a simulator. I think Palmer is the company that makes a highly-regarded one. I'm sure there are lots out there.

Seriously, the preamp isn't the answer with amp sims; it's something that best emulates the sound of a speaker plus a microphone which involves a pretty limited and strongly nodal frequency band moving pretty large volumes of air.

Good luck!

interesting point...

I did a lot of recording with real amp>>Tube Amp Doctor Silencer >>Red Wirez, and I think the results were very good.

Therefore I thought that the weakest point might not be the speaker emulation but the preamps as I think distortion/saturation etc is very difficult to emulate.

Maybe your right about the speaker emulation...

I'm going to make a test and put it up

real amp>>Tube Amp Doctor's Speaker Emulation output

real amp>>Tube Amp Doctor Line out>>red wirez
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear
A preamp isn't going to help. The amp sim is expecting a direct signal- not a distorted version of the direct signal.
Old 28th February 2012
Check out the Sansamp Character pedals. They sound more tubey than most stomp boxes or digital models. This pretty much gives you the amp sound, so your amp sim won't need to do much work. Stick to clean models, and basically use it like an EQ.

A good convolution reverb with good guitar cab impulses will finish it off, and most ears won't detect it isn't a real amp.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Head

yeah I was checkin out the British one...

" good convolution reverb with good guitar cab impulses"

Can you recommend any that's better than red wirez impulses?
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

AC30. drive it how much you want, put 58 on it. no harshness, no peaks in hi-mids or highs... JCM 800 for classic Marshall sound. it's just like that
but if you want something little different try to mash up few takes with different amps...but in my opinion tube amps are really go to for that rock/indie thing.
they have great dinamics and tube is the thing that is pushing frequencies without having few of them over and that gives fullness and definition for recording and mixing techniques used these days.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Head

^respected
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

OK, that's it, just found kemper-amp. Amp modelling topic is over for me, started saving up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search