The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maton Acoustic guitars?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maton Acoustic guitars?

I was hoping someone from the GS Australian chapter could offer an opinion on something for me...

An Artist that I really dig (Jeff Martin) has been using Maton gtrs lately. The Maton CW80, the CW80/12 as well as an EBG808. I'm really enjoying the sounds he's been getting with these instruments and would love to get my hands on them.

Maton guitars are just starting to trickle in to the U.S. but are still as rare as hens teeth. I do have a line on an EM425/12 but would like to know what the comparison is, build quality and sound wise, with the CW80/12? I've read the spec's on the web site but it's not like playing them side by side. Has anyone had the chance to play these two gtrs and would it be worth holding out for a CW80/12 to show up?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L
I was hoping someone from the GS Australian chapter could offer an opinion on something for me...

An Artist that I really dig (Jeff Martin) has been using Maton gtrs lately. The Maton CW80, the CW80/12 as well as an EBG808. I'm really enjoying the sounds he's been getting with these instruments and would love to get my hands on them.

Maton guitars are just starting to trickle in to the U.S. but are still as rare as hens teeth. I do have a line on an EM425/12 but would like to know what the comparison is, build quality and sound wise, with the CW80/12? I've read the spec's on the web site but it's not like playing them side by side. Has anyone had the chance to play these two gtrs and would it be worth holding out for a CW80/12 to show up?

The band I'm currently working with has one that is not too bad. I'll see if I can find the model number. I've got nothing to compare it to however. But it ain't no Martin Dreadnaught!
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Maton has a fairly wide range of Acoustics ranging from the cheap but good to the absolutely stellar, they make custom built ones too. The one you see around the most is the EM325 which is somewhere near the low end - I've got one it's a great workhorse and I don't actually mind the electric pick up. The models you mentioned are all a bit pricier so they should be nicer. But you never know until you try.

What I've found playing Matons next to other guitars is that they seem to be pretty loud - I don't know if that's got anything to do with the use of Australian woods. You don't seem to be paying for fancy inlays and features, they're pretty prosaic looking.

It would be interesting to see what kind of prices they go for over there.

I've also got a Maton mastersound electric which I absolutely love. I needed a cheap solid body and when I played it in the shop unplugged it sounded as loud as a semi- acoustic. Plugged in I wouldn't compare it to anything, it's different - which is nice!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses so far and please keep them coming!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow... didn't know Jeff was on Maton's- I always thought he was a Gibson man.

One of my acoustics is a Maton Barossa- which is essentially a 325 6 string- walnut back and sides and a sitka spruce top.
Lovely tone- very similar to the 425, really- except it is a 6 and not a 12 string.
The CW80, if memory serves me correct is all maple and with solid wood back and sides (as opposed to the ply back and sides of the 425 and 325.
This will be a more resonant guitar, probably acoustically louder and a bit brighter thanks to the added density of the solid maple.
I have played CW80's and they are wonderful.

Either will be great- make sure you get one with an APS preamp, if you are getting an acoustic electric- I don't know if they still make the older preamp but it was not nearly as good as the APS.

If you really want to go high end- get the Messiah- all rosewood with a spruce top and will hold its own against a Martin, IMHO.

Hope this helps.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
Wow... didn't know Jeff was on Maton's- I always thought he was a Gibson man.
He still uses the Gibsons (both acst and elect's) but he's added the Maton's to his arsenal as well.

Quote:
...The CW80, if memory serves me correct is all maple and with solid wood back and sides (as opposed to the ply back and sides of the 425 and 325.
This will be a more resonant guitar, probably acoustically louder and a bit brighter thanks to the added density of the solid maple. I have played CW80's and they are wonderful.
The CW80's are AA solid Sitka Spruce top w/ solid Queensland Maple back and sides. The neck's Qnslnd Maple, Rosewood frtbrd, with a Blackwood veneer headstock... realy nice gtr!

Thanks very much for the insights!

Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tim,

I own two CW80 series, one a '69 CW80/12 Ser. #257, the other a '95 ECW80/6C Ser# 8052 and my son has a EM525C which is a slimline version of the 325. We have also had 325's and 225's here in the studio more often than I can remember.

The CW80 is slightly larger (probably about 1/4") than the 325, that coupled with the differences in timber, etc., give it a "bigger" more "quality" sound. Is it better..............well that can depend on the player, the application, the strings, etc., etc., and your own personal preferences.

If I had the chance or need to buy another "full size" acoustic I would probably get another CW80, if I wanted a slimline I would look at Maton's Stage models. The Messiahs are nice BUT I don't think the additional cost is reflected in the guitar, just as I don't agree with popular opinion about Martins............but these are personal opinions.

Have you looked at Maton's list of US retailers......http://www.maton.com.au/distributors.asp

Good luck.
Old 16th May 2006

I have a couple of high end matons and high end gibsons here, I think they are equall quality but different, the gibson has a more classic, full tone (they're both jumbos I have here) but the maton more character, more mids, I've always found martins a bit standard (because they are the standard I suppose), actually theres one there <sits down and plays it> ok, this one isn't the standard martin sound but it looks about 50 years old, its a bit more bluesy sounding rather that that "smiley face" sound that I associate with martins. (love my martin bass tho)

narco
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

What kind of price difference are you seeing between these guitars (EM425/12 & ECW80/12... both w/AP5 pre)?

Thanks everyone...
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tim,

Based on prices from our local Maton dealer's current stock..........:

The EM425/12C retails here for $1899 AU (approx., $1443 US)

The ECW80/6 retails for $2299 and the 12 string versions are usually $100 more than the 6 string equivalents so, ......let's guestimate $2399 AU (approx., $1823 US).

Street price would naturally be somewhat less than these prices and I'm not sure that these prices include a case as there was a time when Maton didn't include a case, prefering to leave that choice to the individual.

Out of curiousity, do you know what the actual US pricing is?

ChrisO
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiString
Out of curiousity, do you know what the actual US pricing is?
Actualy Chris, I'm not quite sure. The only Maton dealer close to me is in Manhattan and I haven't spoken with them yet. What little I can find on the internet doesn't give prices. I'll be calling around in the next day or so and will post what I find.

The EM425/12 that I have a line on (no cut away w/ap5) is used and the person selling want's about $1000US w/case.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actualy Chris, I'm not quite sure. The only Maton dealer close to me is in Manhattan and I haven't spoken with them yet. What little I can find on the internet doesn't give prices. I'll be calling around in the next day or so and will post what I find.

The EM425/12 that I have a line on (no cut away w/ap5) is used and the person selling want's about $1000US w/case.
Bargain- go for it if it plays well.
Question- who is the Maton dealer in New York? I am about to move back to NYC and could do with knowing.
Cheers,

james
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tim,

Have you thought of emailing Maton and asking if they have a record of what models they have shipped to the US in recent times, and to which dealers. You could also ask whether they can give you an idea of US pricing just in case they have some control on that.

C
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiString
Tim,

Have you thought of emailing Maton and asking if they have a record of what models they have shipped to the US in recent times, and to which dealers. You could also ask whether they can give you an idea of US pricing just in case they have some control on that.

C
Great idea!

Fired an email off last night and I'm waiting to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
... Question- who is the Maton dealer in New York? I am about to move back to NYC and could do with knowing.
Cheers,

james
That would be Rudy's Music Stop on W48th...

When I talked to them they said Maton distribution in the US really isn't up and running yet. The guy said he doesn't even have an official price list yet. He did say he could order what I needed direct from Maton and figure the price accordingly. That being the case, I'd probably do that myself. They do have a Tommy Emmanuel series and something else (forgot which one), but none of the ones I'm interested in... though I should go and play the TE, that one seems really nice as well!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tim,

I look forward to hearing what Maton say, etc. If necessary, I can always call them and get further info.

A couple of things to keep in mind.............

Once an instrument is taken from it's (the timbers') normal environment, it can take anything up to a couple of years before it has fully aclimatised and/ stabilised. I had heard about this but only experienced it once we had imported guitars from the US (14 so far, mainly Gibsons) and it affects some guitars more than others.

Also, if you decided to import yourself, you would have no official dealer support........maybe never an issue but worth keeping in mind. Buying direct from Maton (if it's possible) means you will likely pay full retail price whereas finding an Australian dealer or someone with a good dealer relationship would give access to "street" price (possibly +20% off the retail). Should you decide to go this route, I would seriously suggest using DHL as the shipping company as in our experience, they usually had the guitars on the ground in Sydney within 24 hours of them being despatched in the US.........sure you do pay a premium for the service but I figured the less time in transit, the less time for something to go wrong.

BTW, this is a personal preference but I would go for a cutaway model just for the additional flexibilty.

C
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

After typing that last post, I called our local Maton dealer......if they'd had both the 425 and CW80 12 strings in stock I would have borrowed them and recorded both for you to hear, unfortunately they don't currently have a CW80/12 so that wrote that idea off .

What I did find out is that they're having a Maton Expo this Saturday with company reps, old models, etc., so I'll probably go and have a look around. Anyways, you can have a sticky beak here..........:

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/i...?display=38349

Any further questions, just ask.

Chris
Old 27th August 2018
Here for the gear

Blessings brothers & sisters,.
My name is Hoot Gibson and I'm am the proud owner of a Maton EM 525 C.
It's in need of some tender love and care ,fortunately I'm in an area of Colorado that has many talented artisans & luthiers .
What can you tell me about this beauty?

Thanks & blessings.

Hoot Gibson
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

about 12 years ago i decided to get a rearlly good acoustic steel string guitar.

as an engineer i have recorded thousands of gtrs and have pretty good ears.

i went to every guitar shop in sydney and after 5 days of effort chose a Maton CW-80.

there were no financial aspects to that decision, it was purely about sound and playability.

i love that guitar and will never sell it.

Buddha
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Nut

Wow, pretty old thread.

I've got a '76 CW80, I love it and would never get rid of it.

Mine is really warm and is quite thick in the low mids, and has a "gentle" top end. It's a very lively and responsive guitar, it feels amazing to play. The whole body is resonant and I agree with whoever said that they are a fairly loud guitar.

If you see one, get it. Or at least have a play in the shop.

John
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search