The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My first time tracking a band!!
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

My first time tracking a band!!

I've been recording Hip Hop, Rap, and R&B vox for about 6 years now. I've built a really nice project studio and have spent alot of time here (GS) and booking time at local studios getting critique on stuff I've recorded and mixed.

I've bought gear, used it alot and flipped it for more gear. I've made a bit of money but about 9 months ago, I was getting bored. I felt like I plateau'd and was debating what to do.

I decided to reach out to a local studio I had done some acoustic treatment for. (I upholster for a living)

Long story short, they let me start interning in exchange for help with whatever. The studio is Treelady and the owner/mastering engineer is Garrett Haines who also is a contributing editor/gear reviewer for Tape Op.

They just let me jump right in, I'm really thankful. I assisted the lead engineer, Dave Hidek, in tracking my first full group. Actually, it's a songwriter named Ben Shannon and session musicians but it was sick!!

Here's what we used:

Console - Sony MXP-3000

Vox - SM7B > Millennia TD-1 > Peavy VC/L2 > PT

Acoustic Gtr. - Gibson > U87 > Millennia TD-1 > Peavey VC/L2 > PT

Electric Gtr. - Paul Reed Smith SE custom > 65 Little Elvis > (mic) MD 421 > API 212 > PT / (line) - Radial DI > PT

Bass - Ken Smith LTD. > Evil Twin Eclair DI (custom) > PT

Drums - Ludwig kit > SM57 (snare), AKG D112 > Sony console pres > PT Overheads - Holophone H3D 5.1 (2 channels used) > API 212 > PT

It was just so fun to hear all this stuff happening at once. The musicians were great and alot of the particulars of the music was decided right there. It was like magic! They were even askin' my opinion, which floored me 'cause I'm no one special.

Anyway, the experience was priceless! I'm excited to see where this is gonna go. They're lettin' me take over tracking the Rap people that come through as well.

I just wanna encourage people out there to try to get around this kind of situation, even just if it's for the experience. It's worth it.

Sorry if I sound like a noob, I just had to share..
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

I guess no-one cares? Hahaha, that's ironic!!! I guess I'll pack up and head back to the Hip Hop / Rap forums, Lol!
Old 28th February 2012
no matter what you do, just make sure everyone [including you] is having fun.

good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search