The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Epson R300: Ridisc ink for CD printing?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear
Epson R300: Ridisc ink for CD printing?

Hey all,

Been using the R300 to print on CD's (silver faced inkjet printable Taio-yueden) and also to make Insert booklets and tray cards (using photo paper). I have always used the EPSON inks with excellent results (~$80 for the 6 cartridges). I see at www.meritline.com that they have "compatible" inks for a fraction of that price (< $15 even much lower in qty). There are 2 varieties, one seems to be their house brand and the other is Ridisc. Anyone use either of these for printing CD's and inserts?

Thanks in advance,
-Lee
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

I print hundreds of CD's a year with the R300 & R200 Epson printers and thousands of CD's with other small run printers. I have tried many different inks with the R300 and none of them have the same result as Epson ink. Epson ink is the most color accurate and stable. Other inks have a huge amount of color inaccuracies and tend to dryout in the printer. I bought another R300 as my junk printer to use cheap inks. Some colors look great and some look bad depending on the design. I use a different printer because I noticed that it seamed to make my good printer work bad even after I went back to the Epson ink. Also you cant use the printer ink repair stuff because the printer wont recognize the generic ink so if your getting streaks you cant go in and realign the heads because the printer wont let you. If your goal is just to print some stuff then the cheap can be ok but if you need to have color accurateness then you need to stick with Epson.
Sucks. I'm going to try this contraption next.

http://digitalrecorder.com/main/cata...cb8262f95ac875
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info! I was afraid this might be so.

I hadn't made any CD's with my Epson in a few months and first off, all the cartridges in the machine had to be tossed (lots of missing color, and really bad looking output). I put in a new fresh set of Carts and things worked pretty well but the colors were off from what I did a few months ago. I did afew nozzle cleaning cycles and even though the check print is right the color is still just a bit off and the sharpness in the image on my CD tray card is not quite as good as before.

Can leaving carts in and not using the printer for lets say 3 months have done this or am I seeing the differences in Ink (both old and new were EPSON brand). FWIW, if there is any doubt on printer integrity a refurb R200 can be had from ESON for about the price of the CARTS!

Thanks,
-Lee
Old 13th May 2006
Yep I dig the R200, I've printed thousands of CDs with this guy. I just keep things simple, print with cheap (non-epson) black ink and always get great results.

Cool tip... using the Epson print CD software, you can print your logo etc. at 30-50% (half-tone)... makes it look like a watermark on silver and gold inkjet printables (non-white)... looks super cool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search