The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite SPX90 pre-sets & uses
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

Favorite SPX90 pre-sets & uses

I have just received 2 Yamaha SPX 90 units for free. Just wondering what people thought of them and what Pre sets ya'll like as well as what you use them on. I use to have some a hundred years ago, but my memory aint what it use to be.

Thanks
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmoves
I have just received 2 Yamaha SPX 90 units for free. Just wondering what people thought of them and what Pre sets ya'll like as well as what you use them on. I use to have some a hundred years ago, but my memorie aint what it use to be.

Thanks
I have 2..one is not working anymore, on a shelf in the basement.
The one in the rack is ok for certain special effects...deep wooshing flange, echo, you know for a weird part in a song sometimes.
I go back to trying the #1 -4 hall and plate reverbs every now and then, but it ususally just start to piss me off and then I unpatch it...getting better mixes by sharing the same Lexicon PCM60 for both the lead and back up vocals, as opposed to a seperate SPX 90 on the backups...
I also have an Alesis midiverb 2 in the rack for the same reasons....special effects, easy to set and dial in
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's been a hot minute but variations on "pitch shift C" used to come in handy on vocals before I bought an H3000.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear
I love the early reflections, drums, git and vocals sound rather 80ies with it
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

the magic of the SPX is the "symphonic" program

it's like a suprer duper widening, detuning chorus kind of effect

Run a nice Lexicon chamber or plate into this program in series and it will make the reverb sound huge wide and the tail will have some nice modulating movement to it.

That's what Brian Eno told me to do whith the SPX90.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

i bought a unit for pitch shift c algorithm..........

(and yes i also own the h3000se)

this preset alone is worth the little bit of $$$ imo.

electric
Old 13th May 2006
Sadly, my SPX90 died a few years back, and I gave it away to someone along with some other gear that they bought from me.

But, while I had it, it pretty much lived on the "Symphonic" preset. I never tried running a reverb through the Symphonic preset, but I like the Symphonic type of chorus on bass once in a while, and sometimes guitars and even vocals on occasion.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a couple of these hanging around in the closet o' unused gear... maybe I should break 'em out and give 'em a try...
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Guru

Yep. I have three. But I only use them for Pitch Shift C, -8/+ 8 cents. My favorite chorus. It's my guitar chorus.
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

most live-engineers use the spx 90 for live-drums (especially SN).
i prefer to use the gated reverbs for the snaredrum, too, because they produce a very special sound. when you listen to it in solo-mode the gates sound like ****.
very 80ies - but when you listen to it in the playback it makes the snare sound huge!!!

and... yes..., the symphonic-preset has mojo....
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Reverb + Gate, instant Aussie pub rock snare!!!

Split + - Pitch Shift, poor mans eventide

Symphonic as mentioned

L+R delays, 80's guitar solos

Mine still works, still in the rack.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Deftones vox sound is a 58 through an 1176 with a load of pitch change c on it.
-brian
Old 13th May 2006
One with big hooves

Amazing little boxes.

Almost 15 or 20 years old & all that 12-bit glory has NEVER been duplicated exactly.

The last time I used one I had the symphonic thing going on the attack element of a kick drum that was multed & processed 6-ways to next Tuesday.

Some of the 'verbs are kinda cool too...they're kinda fun to use from time to time since they're totally a 180 from the super high end Lex style stuff & sometimes fit a track better.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear
#8 echo
Old 21st September 2008
ahhhhhhh... sounds so BAD... but sounds SOOOO GOOD!!!!

symphonic is the dogs bollocks!!!

preset number 57 usually i think!
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

I assumed everyone used them for the compressor patch.
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Maniac

I think the symphonic preset is pretty much permantly on both spx 90's that live in the B rig of a company i work for from time to time. I don't think I've ever seen an engineer use anything else on it, nice too know that people actually explore and use the other presets in the studio.
Old 21st September 2008
there's a nice vocal widener patch...called something karaoke?! oh, and an ambience patch that's not a million miles away from an RMX16.
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
there's a nice vocal widener patch...called something karaoke?!
There is nothing called karaoke on the SPX90.

Symphonic, as already mentioned is a classic.
Also Large Hall is a great all-purpose big reverb.

Tip: Editing either of these presets is futile.
Old 22nd September 2008
PDC
Lives for gear

Ok. This may be old news to some of you. It may be a Holy Sh__ moment for others. Pop open those dead SPX90 turd processors. There is a battery on the motherboard. Replace it. Your unit more than likely will come to life. I can tell you how many free SPX90s I have resold and made money on doing this.

I hate them. They might come in handy for 80's remixes with gated reverbs. The next nasty sounding thing that I had at that time was a Rev7. Aweful.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

I just had to make myself quit using them and sell the two I had back in 1999.

EVERY mix I did live and in the studio had a dedicated SPX90 on the snare.

I had a preset called WOMAN KILLER which was the REVERB + GATE with some tweaking.

Wait!!!!
I used one about two weeks ago live!
I used the STEREO ECHO preset to get a 120 msec. and 242 msec. slap.
There I was with a Midas H1000-56 (what a battleship!) but I used an SPX90 and a Yamaha thing that looked like a Rev 7.
Was it called a M something?

I had that plus several TC boxes.

Truthfully, I try to avoid FX live, but this was black gospel stuff and they wanted REVERB!
Old 23rd September 2008
I used one on a mix 2 weeks ago I needed an extra harmoniser, I used pitch change B just to be different
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Early Reflections are cool to add some "cabinet" to heavy gtrs.
Reverb+Gate can be cool on toms & snares
Symphonic is a great chorus
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear
preset 1 for a hall reverb....current project I am using just for a dedicated verb on backup vocals....sounds nice.
spx90 is good, fast , and cheapheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search