The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
multiple digital inputs = nightmare?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

multiple digital inputs = nightmare?

Okay, I have a Fireface 800 as my main converter (I also have a MOTU 24I/O which is relatively empty)...but I have 4 devices which have digital outs (S/pdif rca).

I have a Roland GT-8, Kurzweil Rumour, and Yamaha Motif...all of which have S/Pdif outs

The FF only has 1 s/pdif input. How can I get all of these signals into my computer (PC) without repatching the digital input? I could probably live with being able to connect all 4 devices, but only having one being recorded at a time.

Is there a small scale solution ... 1 -2 rack units big?

Thanks!

Craig
Old 13th May 2006
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

bump
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Curious about this as well, so I second the bump. That Digipatch looked like a good option, but I believe midiman is out of business (turned into m-audio) and I see no trace of the digipatch on m-audio's site.

Anyone?
Old 15th May 2006
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yep...Digipatch is discontinued, and it seems that the Roland M1000 is discontinued also...damm.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur
Okay, I have a Fireface 800 as my main converter (I also have a MOTU 24I/O which is relatively empty)...but I have 4 devices which have digital outs (S/pdif rca).

I have a Roland GT-8, Kurzweil Rumour, and Yamaha Motif...all of which have S/Pdif outs

The FF only has 1 s/pdif input. How can I get all of these signals into my computer (PC) without repatching the digital input? I could probably live with being able to connect all 4 devices, but only having one being recorded at a time.

Is there a small scale solution ... 1 -2 rack units big?

Thanks!

Craig
Greetings Craig.

The Z-Sys Optipatch would work a treat for you. 1 RU

Plug all four devices into that and one lightpipe into the FF and you'll have access to all of them all of the time.

They pop up on Ebay every now and then.

Cheers,

Haigbabe
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Haigbabe, but I need the rca plug type of spdif for the inputs.

I did find this which unfortunately is not a mixer, but just a straight patcher...might fill my needs.

http://www.staudio.com/products/src6.html
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

That SRC looks like a nifty way of maybe getting your equipment running together digitally at the same time. You would still use use your Fireface as the MasterClock, right?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

There are optical Toslink to SPDIF RCA converters that run about $30.
What are the digital inputs on that Fireface?
I'm not sure about spdif to AES conversion.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, the FF800 would be the master clock.

The ff800 has 2 X ADAT, and RCA Spdif inputs (AES Compatible). The problem is the Motif Rack, Kurzweil Rumour, and Boss GT-8 all have RCA Spdif outputs.

I wonder if the Z-Link for $649 plus the $100 for RCA to Optical converters is worth it compared to the ST Audio SRC VI for $299. Of course, i'd be shooting blind as far as assessing quality goes!

hmmm.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

It should be noted, as far as I can tell on my fireface, there is only ADAT and spdif inputs/outputs. When you say AES, I think you mean that the coaxial s/pdif connection is AES compatible, right?

I'd love it if there were separate S/Pdif coaxial and XLR-based AES connections .. that's the only thing keeping this thing from being a perfect interface.

Ahh, can't have everything I guess.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray
It should be noted, as far as I can tell on my fireface, there is only ADAT and spdif inputs/outputs. When you say AES, I think you mean that the coaxial s/pdif connection is AES compatible, right?

I'd love it if there were separate S/Pdif coaxial and XLR-based AES connections .. that's the only thing keeping this thing from being a perfect interface.

Ahh, can't have everything I guess.
=
That's exactly why I went with the MOTU Traveler--SPDIF RCA, Optical, Optical ADAT, AES XLR. It has helped a lot, especially since I am not relying on it for conversion of my most important channels.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur
Thanks Haigbabe, but I need the rca plug type of spdif for the inputs.

I did find this which unfortunately is not a mixer, but just a straight patcher...might fill my needs.

http://www.staudio.com/products/src6.html
OK, this is the product I meant, we use one of them..

z-8.8a lightpipe digital detangler

At last! We've finally built a digital detangler that not only accommodates Lightpipe format -- it actually allows it to coexist peacefully with AES/EBU and S/PDIF.

Product Description
The z-8.8a lightpipe digital detangler is an automated patchbay and distribution amplifier for digital audio signals which are carried on TOSLINK. This includes both CP-340 S/PDIF- or AES/EBU-formatted two-channel signals or ADAT Lightpipe-format eight-channel signals. The z-8.8a is controlled from the front-panel: the routing pattern can be established at the touch of a few buttons. Up to 99 routing patterns can be stored and recalled, making reconfiguring your digital routing a snap.

The z-8.8a also includes bidirectional Lightpipe-to-S/PDIF or AES/EBU conversion. A single Lightpipe can be converted to and from four stereo pairs of S/PDIF or AES/EBU. Furthermore, the unit features eight channels of 24-bit real-time sample rate conversion, allowing the z-8.8a to convert eight channels of asynchronous S/PDIF or AES/EBU inputs at rates of up to 96 kHz to and from eight channels of Lightpipe. The sample rate conversion can be defeated if it is not needed.

Product Specifications
Input and output connectors: as configured, RCA for S/PDIF and Optical (TOSLINK) for Lightpipe.
Input and output impedance: 75 ohms.
Sample rate conversion: Input and output rates up to 24 bits at 96 kHz rates. Better than 120 dB dynamic range and SNR, less than -115 dB THD+N.

Cheers,

Haig
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Just so everone knows, the ST Audio SRC VI is not available.
The company may have gone out of business.

Looks like the z-sys piece is the only available option at this time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search