The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phantom Power Question
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Phantom Power Question

So I probably shouldn't hot swap condensers while the 48volt is on, right?

I know that's pretty lazy, but I've never had a mishap. Am I flirting with disaster? I don't have any mics that shouldn't get phantom power, so I get lazy pretty quickly.
Old 13th May 2006

Hey Max, I would guess that we all should turn off the phantom while swapping mics, but like you, I don't always power down either. Not to temp fate, but I'm 35 years in and I haven't had a problem yet either. There are also situations of boards using global phantom and they get hot patched all the time. I believe that with the limiting resistors involved in phantom power things are pretty safe. I would still be very cautious with any ribbon mics though as they are several orders of magnitude more fragile.
Rick
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

how many people who do turn phantom off first wait for it to completely discharge? is the spike when phantom is first applied any better for the mic than hot plugging it?

if using a patch bay or any plug where contacts could get crossed then you should turn off phantom. if you have any vintage mics then i would just to be safe. all modern mics seem fine with it
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear
If you have a MIC level patch bay (mics out/preamps in) you should kill phantom before patching or unpatching.

otherwise, at the XLR, it doesn't matter at ALL.

plug away with the phantom on. INCLUDING ribbon mics, unless something is wired incorrectly.
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
If you have a MIC level patch bay (mics out/preamps in) you should kill phantom before patching or unpatching.

otherwise, at the XLR, it doesn't matter at ALL.

plug away with the phantom on. INCLUDING ribbon mics, unless something is wired incorrectly.
Agree with all that but I still watch ribbons a little closer due to their low tolerance to any accidental short/open in the cabling when phantom is involved.
Although I must admit that I have plugged ribbons into hot inputs many times during the heat of a session and so far so good. I have heard stories from friends about ribbons "sparking up real good" when all the wrong circumstances come together.....just don't want to see it at my place! Another reason I'm a believer in xlr mic patching. Just don't want to take the chance of getting the phantom even momentarily sent down the wrong lines.
Old 13th May 2006
I wait.
when all connectors are severed at the same time (xlr) this is not necessary, but I still wait. I also talk to my mics.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have never lost a mic through bad phantom management.
I almost blew some speakers though. And I almost blew my head off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search