The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with XLR > Banana plug, por favor
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Help with XLR > Banana plug, por favor

Howdy

I have a pair of Yamaha speakers that I would like to be powered by my NAD pre/power amp combo. The speakers have XLR connectors, and the NAD has binding posts. As I could not find XLR > B. plug cables anywhere, I bought two banana plug connectors and plan on making my own cables. I assume the XLR ground will go to the B. plug? And what of the other two XLR pins?

Any help will be appreciated - thanks!
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Often XLR pin3 is hot in speaker leads though as we know reality doesnt always follow convention. If you cant access the connector panel to confirm easily, use a continuity tester and a 9v battery to confirm polarity.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

Not understanding the battery idea - never heard of such a thing.

Is the braided silver wire the ground, or is that part of the sheilding? If it is part of the grounding? How to unbraid it? Twisiting it is not working.

If it's not, how to tell which of the four wires (two blue plastic coating - two white) is ground?
Old 26th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Howdy

I have a pair of Yamaha speakers that I would like to be powered by my NAD pre/power amp combo. The speakers have XLR connectors, and the NAD has binding posts. As I could not find XLR > B. plug cables anywhere, I bought two banana plug connectors and plan on making my own cables. I assume the XLR ground will go to the B. plug? And what of the other two XLR pins?

Any help will be appreciated - thanks!
I dont get this. Are you talking about active speakers? Is that where the XLR connections come in?
If that is the case, I think that it is an extremely bad idea to try to drive them from your power amp. Buy a set of RCA/XLR plugs and drive them from your preamp.

yours tkr
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

They are HS 80ms - they are active to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkr View Post
I think that it is an extremely bad idea to try to drive them from your power amp.
Why is that?
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ok, getting somewhere.

I am assuming the braided silver wire is shielding.

Now I have four wires - two blue, two white. When I touch each blue indvidually to the hot of B. plug. I get signal. I also get signal when touching each of the white wires to the same spot - but less of it.

A little confused here....
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They are HS 80ms - they are active to the best of my knowledge.

Why is that?
Is this serious?????????
You want to connect ACTIVE speakers to a POWER AMP????
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's a pre-amp/power amp combo. Yanno - like a stereo.

Please explain why this is a bad idea.

---edit---

Or better yet, it's actually called a Stereo Integrated Amplifier

One of these:

Old 26th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Because the signal you send from your power amp will have way too high voltage levels for your active speakers.
Either you will get an extremely distorted sound or you will fry the amps in your active speakers.
Besides, your NAD pre will give a perfectly good line level signal to your Yamahas simply by using a set of RCA/XLR plugs.Neutrik make some good ones. No hassle with making your own cables.

yours
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's a pre-amp/power amp combo. Yanno - like a stereo.

Please explain why this is a bad idea.
Because HS80Ms are active speakers.They have integrated power amps and the XLRs on them accept line level signals.If you continue with the attempt to connect them to the binding post outs of your NAD amp you'll probably get something burned.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because the signal you send from your power amp will have way too high voltage levels for your active speakers.
Even from a consumer stereo? Wow - did not know that.

Quote:
Besides, your NAD pre will give a perfectly good line level signal to your Yamahas simply by using a set of RCA/XLR plugs.
So, you are saying I should connect the RCA pre-out of the NAD, to the XLR in of the speaker?
Old 26th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
So, you are saying I should connect the RCA pre-out of the NAD, to the XLR in of the speaker?

Exactly.
yours tkr
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That should be fine.
If you tell us something about your whole setup and what exactly you are trying to achieve you will probably get better advice.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly.
yours tkr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
That should be fine.
Ok, well thanks for the info. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Quote:
If you tell us something about your whole setup and what exactly you are trying to achieve you will probably get more specific advice.
Pretty simple actually. The soundcard of my computer goes out to a mackie mixer, and that powers the speakers. I was looking to get rid of the Mackie, and I have the NAD lying around, so I figured what the heck, I'll use that. Not sure if it's going to sound better - it might a little - but it wont sound worse. So now it's going to be soundcard > NAD > speakers as opposed to soundcard > Mackie > speakers. And if you are saying I am better off using the RCA pre outs, then so be it.

So now I have this stripped XLR cable. I can go out and get RCA connectors, but still a little in the dark about which XLR wires to use...
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Why not directly soundcard > speakers?
Old 26th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Why dont you simply buy a set of RCA/XLR plugs and some RCA/RCA interconnects, plug the RCA/XLRs into your Yamahas, and connect the interconnects to your NAD? Will set you back maybe 10$.

yours
Old 26th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yes, why not?
yours
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want the ability to raise and lower the volume. I typically mix at the same level, but listen from time to time at different levels. I could use the soundcard's mixer, but that becomes a bit of a PITA. I much prefer to have a marked volume knob (or faders) that I can move physically.

Quote:
Why dont you simply buy a set of RCA/XLR plugs and some RCA/RCA interconnects, plug the RCA/XLRs into your Yamahas, and connect the interconnects to your NAD? Will set you back maybe 10$.

yours
By RCA/XLR plugs - you mean cables? Or adapters?
Old 27th February 2012
tkr
Gear Addict
Sorry, English is not my first language- I mean adapters.

yours
Old 27th February 2012
I'd get a monitor controller for volume control and ditch the hifi amp. Agree you need a physical volume control.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, English is not my first language- I mean adapters.

yours
No prob

XLR to RCA doesn't exist - or if they do, at least I have never seen them. Two XLR > 1/4" will set me back almost $40. I have the 1/4" to RCA adapters and cables - so no cost there, but would like to avoid dropping the 40 - simply because I dont need to.

I have the soundcard > NAD already (RCA/RCA), and the XLR cables > NAD, but minus the RCA connectors. That's all I need to do - solder the female end of the XLR cable I have to an RCA connecter, and I am done. But that's where I am stuck.

PM - the monitor controller is a good idea, but how much do those cost? Least expensive I have ever seen was in the $200 range. Not that I mind spending the money whan I need to, but if all I need do is solder the end of an XLR cable to an RCA connecter, I am not spending that sort of dough.

Any thoughts on the physical XLR > RCA connector connection?

Thanks for the time.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
XLR to RCA doesn't exist
Interesting statement!
Neutrik NA2MPMF XLR MALE - CINCH - Thomann UK Cyberstore
Of course there are such things cheaper than Neutrik.
I have few in my laptop bag that are about 1.5 euro a piece.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ok, maybe I should have said XLR to RCA doesn't exist in the USA
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sure they do.
Try Markertek.com or one of the other 100 or so suppliers of audio adaptors.

I am thinking that your Mackie setup was a better idea.
I honestly have no idea about the quality of your stereo receiver, but I don't think there will be a noticeable jump in sound quality over the Mackie.

There's a heck of a lot of mis-info about Mackie in these parts...
If you get your gain staging right, you'll really have to spend a lot more money to get a better sound.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry but....you are wrong again!
Hosa GXM-133 | Sweetwater.com
http://www.guitarcenter.com/American...20-i1129379.gc
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

LOL - I know, I was just joking about the USA thing. But honestly, I have never seen those before. XLR > 1/4", and 1/4" > RCA yes, but not XLR > RCA.

Ok, so which wire where?

Sorry about the blurriness. The right is (obviously) the XLR - two blue two white.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, that had the potential to go pear shaped... It's important to know the difference between active and passive. I agree with the advise to get yourself a monitor controller. XLR to RCA cables most certainly exist.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear
Wait, the HS80m speakers have a 1/4" input. Use banana plug to unbalanced 1/4" cables (cut a regular guitar cable in 1/2 and attach the banana plugs) and you're done!
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Wait, the HS80m speakers have a 1/4" input. Use banana plug to unbalanced 1/4" cables (cut a regular guitar cable in 1/2 and attach the banana plugs) and you're done!
You're still talking about feeding amplified speaker level into a line level input.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
You're still talking about feeding amplified speaker level into a line level input.
Uhh, yeah - we're not doing that anymore.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search