The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Listened to Cowboy's From Hell today!
Old 12th May 2006

Listened to Cowboy's From Hell today!

For the first time in years. My assistant has been wearing me out with that new Tool record. All I have to say is Pantera are the kings!!! I'm so sad tonight about Dimebag. Unbelievable rhythm section! That was the tightest band ever.

I put the CD in my car after work and when the drums kick in at the top of the tune Cowboy's From Hell I nearly **** my pants. The ultimate groove experience.

Last edited by James Lugo; 12th May 2006 at 09:26 AM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

VH1 aired a new Behind the Music tonight featuring Pantera.

Man...

It really brought it all back. What an amazing band.

I was fortunate enought to have witnessed their performance twice in their career.

Absolutely incredible.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just gotta love Psycho Holiday... That track really grooves and swings, and I love the bass line under the gtr solo. Have to say I do find the reverbs very odd and kinda sci-fi. Product of the era I guess!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i gotta say, their sound evovled quite nicely with the times, ya got the late 80's/ early 90's excessive reverbs on cowboys, volgar was a bitchslap in the face (in the good way) then i feel far beyond driven was their 'best' sounding album...trendkill was recorded in their backyard and it took me a year to get used to the grittyness of it, which i came to love, reinventing the steel was a bit more 'polished' sounding....i donno they have changed with the times yet still managed to have their signature sound, much like tool....both bands are in my top ten. i'm gonna have to bust out far beyond driven now!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

James do you know Rebel Meets Rebel ?

http://www.rebelmeetsrebel.com/

Featuring Dimebag, Vinnie Paul, Rex and David Allan Coe !
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah that VH1 special really took me back too. Such a great band. I also had the priviledge of seeing them live, and oh man....what a show.

Domination is wicked ****.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I know, that initial kick-in is one of the best musical moments ever. I caught about the last 20 minutes of Behind the Music, and it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. RIP Dime.

Matt
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
All I have to say is Pantera are the kings!!! I'm so sad tonight about Dimebag. Unbelievable rhythm section! That was the tightest band ever.

Agreed.

Although I hadn't followed them closely over the years, Vulgar Display of Power was just amazing. I'm not a big fan of this genre these days but at times this band was just, at the risk of sounding very Metal, BRUTAL. \m/

They did it very well. There's probably something to be said about the guitarist/drummer as brothers thing.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

The behind the music special was awesome. I was in tears at the end though.

I saw them summer of 96 and the following year as well. Phil looked like he definatley did not wanna be there. he just moped around and let the audience sing most of the tunes. he came off as a big arrogant prick in that vh1 special.

I'll be rockin some pantera on the way to the gig tonight. We're playing in a bowling alley (woo hoo). They set the stage up right on the lanes. Theres balls wizzing past about a foot away from me. At least its not an airforce base.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love Pantera too. Dime was such a talent.
I also Love Anthrax, Sepultura, and Old Metallica.

Tremendous talent in those bands.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Primal Concrete Sledge

Remember when Phil overdosed and died . I saw them in concert right after that happened . White Zombie opened for them ,

Pantera is the best metal band ever .

I'm gonna go jam Cemetery Gates on my guitar in memory of Dimebag ,
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomKingdom
I'm gonna go jam Cemetery Gates on my guitar in memory of Dimebag ,
Cool.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

My favourite Quote was when Dimebag Said in Reference to my secretly favourite album... (Great Southern Trendkill) :

---> "We wanted to make the Most Abrasive, Bastardly Album, that was possible. Everything Around that time was so polished and POP sounding." (Slightly Paraphrased Sorry). <--------

I'D SAY MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! =) 'Sandblasted Skin' Anyone?
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Cemetary Gates rules...
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

wow...i could go on and on....

5 minutes alone.
walk.
new level.
strength beyond strength.

"**** you and your college dream, fact is we're stronger than all!"

hahaha.
wow
Durv
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Saw Pantera in Minneapolis at the Target center 94/95.

Absolutely mind boggling performance. It immediately struck me what a well oiled machine they were & Dime just made it look absolutely effortless.

One of the more profound musical experiences I've had as an audience member...absolute raw power.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv
strength beyond strength.

"**** you and your college dream, fact is we're stronger than all!"

hahaha.
wow
Durv
My Favourite Song when I need an instant boost to my adrenaline

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search