The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best combo guitar amp under $1000
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

I have a 5150. To say that it is loud as hell is an understatement. Seriously, you have to have is 1/4 the way between 0 and 1 to be in the same room with it. It can be pretty harsh but it is fun. Got mine second hand for $450, not bad for an all tube amp.

My 2 cents, stay away from the emulators unless you want to replace it soon when you get sick of it. They do a lot of things OK but usually dont do a great job at any one of them.

Guitar, cable amp a'la AC/DC. And that's coming from someone who loves his equip.

If you are interested in pedals try the electro harmonix stuff. Small Clone (Chorus) is awesome, simple and effective.

Just my thoughts.

Steve
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopants
hmmm I can't decide
I'm leaning towards tubes, I have a line 6 pod and I don't like how it sounds really, I'd assume the Vetta is much better but is it the same kind of thing?
If your leanin towards tubes stay in that direction!
I've have a multitude of heads, but if I could only have one, it would be TUBE!
Look for a Trace Elliot Speed Twin.
Rare, but very veristile.
Great for recording and live.
Good luck finding one!
Matt
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

5150 combo -- Rhythm channel on 5 1/2, post on 3.

Les Paul with brand new 11-52 Dean Markley strings.

Left = Pearlman --> Millennia STT-1

Right = SM 57 --> Neve 1073

Both EQ's off.

I bought this for between $500 and $600 -- probably $550 -- off craigslist last year.

This is NOT the lead channel, which I hardly ever use.
Attached Files

5150_01.wav (4.03 MB, 575 views)

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
whtup

I'm looking to get a nice combo guitar amp under $1000 (preferably under $700) for me to use, and to record with if it sounds nice enough.

I'm probably going to buy a PRS to play through it unless you guys have any better suggestions in the same price range, I know there are a lot of PRS haters but it may or may not suit what I'm going to (try to) play.

The sound range I'm looking for is something like (don't necessarily like these bands in particular, just the sound btw) Finch, Thrice, Folly (okay I like some thrice and a lot of folly), maybe Taking Back Sunday, you know, those type of sounds. Heavy but not really heavy metal metallica type stuff. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to get a tech-metal type sound too...like Psyopus if you've ever heard those guys...or Knife The Glitter (pretty obscure).

So basically I want to spend around $1500 on the best/most versatile (for what I'm doing) guitar and combo amp I can afford with that. If you guys have any suggestions for speakers and pickups that would be cool too. Also, if you guys know any other forums that might be more help I'd love to know!

I appreciate it guys!
The Epiphone Les Paul with James Lugo's mods (no, you can't buy it that way, but I think I detailed them if you search -- or maybe he'll respond to this message and post 'em) -- pickups, push/pull volume knob coil tap, upgraded machine heads, fine tuning bridge -- that gtr rocks esp. for the price, but the mods make it hot. It gets used at the Asylum all the time and is often his main gigging guitar (sound & versatility).

I mentioned the head/small cab thing because a head + 2x12 will take up about as much space as a 2x12 combo anyway. I'd check out the DSL head -- it sounds WAY better than the TSL head or the DSL combo. That + a 2x12 & you're ROCKIN'.

DSL + 2x12 cab + Epi Les Paul + mods and pro setup (11-52 strings) -- if you look around classified/craigslist/EBay, you'll get it close to budget. Or save the mods for later -- they will run some $$$, but they're worth it.

Or an amp like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHT-Pittbull-50-...QQcmdZViewItem
*I don't know this seller -- I just like the amp)

I still think the 5150 combo is a steal, if you can find one. And the combo is 60 watts -- crankin' loud, but reasonable.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't think I can afford a half stack, and I def. don't have the room for it. I'd rather get a smaller amp that I can get a broader range of sounds from, and that I could keep in my bedroom - with my little (albeit high end) bedroom setup there's not much more room left, I'd pretty much have to sleep on the 4X12!

As for the Epiphone, do you recommend any particular one? And what basis do you recommend them on, feel, sound, both? Have you ever played the Jet King's I've been mentioning?

So is there any other reason you recommend the Seymour Duncan pickups other than hotter output?

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm loving this!
Never played a Jet King, but it's got humbuckers - looks like it'd definitely do what you're looking for.

As far as Epiphones, I wouldn't spend a lot. Just a standard Les Paul or SG. Make sure you get an intonation job done on it, though

The reason I suggested a Seymour Duncan in the bridge is because some people feel that the humbuckers they put in Epiphones don't kick enough for their liking. You mentioned Thrice and Taking Back Sunday, so I assumed you'd probably want some more attack in your sound.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Now I'm torn between an Engl Thunder and a Line 6 Vetta II - I really can't decide. Does anyone have any experience with the Vetta? I really really would love all that crazy flexibility but I'm just worried that it'll sound...digital
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

65 Fender Deluxe Reissue

I regularly use the following amps
REISSUE 65 DELUXE-- I purchased this because the tone in the store blew me away. I was shocked to open it and discover a printed circuit board. Oh well, I like the sound and it proves to be my go to amp for the studio. Cost about 750 dollars.
GUYTRON--Best all around amp I've heard. This is not a well known amp but savoried by those who own them. It is a bit over powered for my taste.
MARSHALL 2000 JCM 60W TSL-- has good tone but I just don't run to it very often.
BAD CAT Mini Cat-- 5Watts and 10" speaker. I love recording this this amp for a unique sound, Champ like but hotter. This is a very fun amp just full of tone.
Dr. Z Maz 18-- Very nice amp. Runs a bit edgy and hot but has tons of grit. It will clean up nicely but not as smooth as the Deluxe.
Valco-- a one trick poney that kicks ass like nothing I've ever heard.
Vintage Blackfaced Twin-- smooth tone and powerful but tempermental
Vintage SuperReverb-- Great blues amp

The Fender 65 Reissue is one of the cheapest of my amps and I use it 50% of the time out of a dozen or so amps.

As for guitars... -- every brand and almost every style-- For reasons that I don't understand when it comes to recording I find myself picking up the Teles more often, especially the Tele knock off made by John Suhr with the Buzz Feton setup. I would never buy a guitar based on someone elses opinion. I would have to play it and like it. I will say that the Buzz Feton setup is very nice and takes away a bunch of frustration. The only problem I seen with this system is that most stores and people don't tune them up properly with the specific off set--- in which case your are better of without it.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now I'm torn between an Engl Thunder and a Line 6 Vetta II - I really can't decide. Does anyone have any experience with the Vetta? I really really would love all that crazy flexibility but I'm just worried that it'll sound...digital
Engl.
The adverts tell you that you need the versatility, but if you are starting out, you will focus more on your playing and tone with a great amp and a guitar. FX and features can come later. You will HEAR exactly what you are playing on any of the decent valve amps mentioned and won't get sidetracked into using FX right now.
I'd still try and check an H&K tube 20. Everyone I know who hears them, say they are brilliant. It is $3-400 cheaper than the engl and I'd put the extra $$ into getting a better guitar.
Also, 20watts is, for me at least, a great volume to have. Crank it and it doesn't KILL you. Turn it down, it still sounds great.
In any case, the main thing is to get any amp and guitar and play.
David
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun
REISSUE 65 DELUXE-- I purchased this because the tone in the store blew me away. I was shocked to open it and discover a printed circuit board. Oh well, I like the sound and it proves to be my go to amp for the studio. Cost about 750 dollars.

The Fender 65 Reissue is one of the cheapest of my amps and I use it 50% of the time out of a dozen or so amps.
I got a '68 (1st yr. silverface -- no master volume, still blackface circuitry) from GC for $1k -- about going rate on eBay or CL -- it's great and all the players who come through love it. The reissues are cool, but I love the vintage mojo.

The BF reissues go for closer to $600 on CL in Los Angeles, if you wait for one to come up.

Here's one for $550:
http://losangeles.***************/msg/161192396.html
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

At just over $1,000, the Mesa F-50 is a hell of a nice sounding versatile amp.
Old 23rd April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The Engl's in your price range are the thunder and screamer I think. Very similar as far as I can recall.
I'd say a tube 20 and a great pedal would be an extremely good idea. H&K just don't have the brand name, so prices are low compared to others.

I would stick with valve amps to be honest. Not that I don't like somne modelling amps, but I still find they lack something. Very useful, but no classic tone.
I did like the old Yamaha DG80 as it didn't try to be something else. Most try and be marshall, mesa, fender etc etc instead of just trying to be great amps.
I wouldnt touch a solid state for electric guitar. Ever. Just not the right tool for the job.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirhanna View Post
I wouldnt touch a solid state for electric guitar. Ever. Just not the right tool for the job.
Well, if the OP bought the wrong amp, he has been using it for eleven years...
Old 23rd April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Well, if the OP bought the wrong amp, he has been using it for eleven years...
Haha ya. Just was browsing old threads and thought id drop my 2 cents in case new guitar players stumble across it sometime. Ive played on a lot of amplifiers over a lot of years and have never been able to tolerate the sound of solid state for guitar. Just my opinion of course.

Currently have a Matchless Lightning combo and a Suhr 18 head with custom cab. But I need cash so am selling the Matchless and am looking for a cheaper light combo for live shows, maybe something I hadnt stumbled across before that still sounds good. If you have any suggestions for light to moderate distortion Id be interested in hearing them.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Peavey JSX Combo with 6L6 power tubes. From Chet Atkins to David Gilmour to Kerry King. And bloody loud !
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
At just over $1,000, the Mesa F-50 is a hell of a nice sounding versatile amp.
Yes, this are amazing.

The F-50 is the second of only two Five Star Gold Awards ever given by Guitarist magazine. The only amp i can think of is the Mesa F-100, same amp, but with 4x6L6.
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear

Strat + Yamaha THR10

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search