The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
middle ground for the color freaks
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

middle ground for the color freaks

I was just sitting here thinking...is anyone trying a "middle ground" when it comes to multiple "colors" of pres. What I mean is anyone ALWAYS using say API for drums/bass, tg2/germ for guitars, pacifica for bgv, vipre for lead vox, etc and just changing the mic and/or the insert chain? Just a thought.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

We are finding a lot of people using the A-Designs Pacifica or 500 series cards for drum overheads. They just seem to work well for capturing the whole kit. The feedback hasnt just been from engineers but from the drummers being recorded.

Jon Erickson

Last edited by Helsing; 12th May 2006 at 06:36 AM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

i don't use the same stuff every time i record, but i do look for certain characteristics in a mic pre.

for overheads and snare, i like something very fast and precise with lots of headroom. for room mics and kick drum mics, i tend to reach for something that's a tad slower on the slew with a little more beef and depth. guitar amps, i like a relatively clean preamp with a lot of gain for ribbon mics and/or a colorful channel strip for a close dynamic.

it's good to learn what your tools sound like, commit all of that to memory, and then you'll have a better idea of what's gonna work in which places.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search