The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000??
Old 31st March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
The trouble with a great pre amp like the DAV BG-1 is the realization that the rest of your gear is crap. I/O

Quote of the week!
Old 31st March 2011
Gear Guru

to answer the original poster's question, I would say, "no"

well, especially if you consider DIY. that's when your real bang for buck can step in. it's easy enough with kits and pre made PCBs like from SCA, ClassicA.P.I., Hamptone, JLM Audio, FiveFish. Once you get the hang of these, the options for affordable DIY open up even more, and you can start building 1176, LA2A, REDD style tube preamps, etc

but also the majority of 500 series preamps are well under $1,000

and then you have the single channel units from Universal Audio, Focusrite, Daking, Grace (two channels), and the four channel from Sytek, etc, all under $1,000

I have a hard time believing with this many options available that "the DAV BG-1 is the best bang for the buck pre under $1,000." One, because I generally prefer transformer based preamps, and two, because the simple odds of 1 vs 100 don't seem to be in 1's favor.

all the BG-1 praise is nice enough and all though... there's just a lot, lot more options out there at $1,000

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search