The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Replacing a Tascam 1641-US with??
Old 24th February 2012
Replacing a Tascam 1641-US with??

Hi,

so I have been upgrading my gear slowly these few months, got a DBX160X, a Hairball 1176 (still in progress) and recently a Focusrite ISA one. I am looking to upgrade my AD/DA converter/interface. I will keep the 1641 in case I need to record 8 tracks at one, but for my needs and my upcoming projects, I only need 2-4 inputs of quality conversion. I don't want to use the preamps, I just want something that will do great conversion. I am currently looking at the Apogee Duet 2, since it has 2 inputs and you can disable the preamps via the software, but I am not sure if I can resend a signal from the output to external gear without disconnecting the monitors.

What would you recommend me for conversion with 2-4 inputs, no preamps (or disable-able preamps) and in a 500-1000$ range?

And another big question.... is it even worth it to get a converter or should I just stick with the US-1641?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Forgot to add: I am working with an iMac with i5 Quad core and Logic 9.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Honestly, I would keep the Tascam and start collecting mics, or other gear that will tailor your sound to your ideas. Even better monitors may be helpful.

I have a Tascam DVRA1000 and the converters in this unit are lovely. I don't know what they use in your box but you may be able to find out with some investigation.
Old 25th February 2012
Thanks for the reply! Anyone else would like to help?
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Nut

I have the 1641 and find the conversion as nice as any other sound device I have used, its definitely not a limiting factor. It has 4 line inputs, 6 if you count the front panel DI/line ins and 4 line outputs, so it isn't short for your described needs.

If you are dead set on spending money on new AD/DA perhaps see about test driving / renting / borrowing a unit for comparison?

Sorry, I think my budget consciousness these days is coming out in my forum posts! ha!
Old 25th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC1980 View Post
I have the 1641 and find the conversion as nice as any other sound device I have used, its definitely not a limiting factor. It has 4 line inputs, 6 if you count the front panel DI/line ins and 4 line outputs, so it isn't short for your described needs.

If you are dead set on spending money on new AD/DA perhaps see about test driving / renting / borrowing a unit for comparison?

Sorry, I think my budget consciousness these days is coming out in my forum posts! ha!
Thanks for the advice, I could do that, rent a unit and do comparisons... I didn't even thought of that! I guess if there would be no huge difference between the 1641 and some other unit, I might as well keep it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search