The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Simple Question Please Help
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

Simple Question Please Help

I have an analog mixer and use Adobe Audition for recording my question is this.

What is the easiest way i can link my mixer to the Audition software so that i can EQ with the hardware mixer instead of the Software mixer?

I know this can be accomplished with a lot of pro tools compatible mixers but i am not using pro tools, is there any way to do this with Audition?

I just want it so my hardware mixer and software mixer are linked, so instead of adjusting an eq level on the actual software i can just do it on the analog mixer.
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

i know this has to be possible
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

How do you have your mixer connected to the computer? what you need to do is send signal from audition out of your computer, into your mixer, then from your mixer back into your computer.

Going by your post i'm guessing you don't have a dedicated interface and are just recording into the soundcard on your pc, so that's not really an option.

i think at the moment your best bet would just to eq on the way in, but personally i would just be using the software eqs.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

What is your audio interface/ how many I/O?

Basically what you have to do is take tracks or stems out of Audition as separate analogue outputs to input channels on your mixer and then either sum out of the box (sending just a stereo mix back to the DAW) or send the individual tracks/stems back to the DAW to print (this requires using your subgroups or direct outs).

Unless your conversion/interface is very good and you have 8+ I/O stay ITB.
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

I appreciate the responses
Let me re word my question

Is there a way i can link my analog mixer to my software mixer so if i adjust a track on my analog mixer the software will move with it?
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

You can't do that unless your mixer has midi, Ethernet, or USB connection and is designed to work that way. What mixer are you using?
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks

My current mixer doesnt have midi could you suggest some mixers that have midi and are compatible with Adobe Audiition?
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear
The short answer is -

1. No, you cannot do this!

2. Yes, of course you can do this!

The long answer is -

1. A conventional mixer cannot interface with a DAW without having a software interface such as HUI that reads and writes the fader movements and has things like an integrated DAW controller. An ordinary analogue mixer cannot do this.

2. There are mixers that can do this. They are called hybrid mixers and have integrated DAW control and AD/DA converters and can fully integrate the analogue signal path (EQ, outboard, etc.) to a ITB mix. At one end of the price spectrum are boxes like the SSL Duality, that cost about the same as a nice house. Then there are things like the SSL AWS924 that only cost as much as a lightly used Mercdes 'S-Class', right down to the Allen & Heath GS-R24 that costs about the same as a lightly used Honda Accord.
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

So my best bet is to just use Pro Tools with a compatible mixer?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search