The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs you're embarrased to like.
Old 15th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
"hit me with your rhythm stick" by ian dury and the blockheads
Don't forget about Clever Trevor. Ian Dury rocks!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Y'know, I certainly spent a good amount of time listening to Ian Dury and the Blockheads when I was much younger, and I'm not at all embarrased to admit it, but otoh, I don't really find much I like about it these days.

To each his own, but I find it kind of flat, and the band kind of wonky.

But I do like so much other naff crap that it makes up for it.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hillary Duff - Come Clean (original and remix version)

Nelly - Hot in Herre

Kyle Minogue - any song
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus(the lyrics are awesome on this song)

I'm a slave by Britney(can't ever turn that video off)

Rock your body by Justin Timberlake(hate boy bands but he's got some pipes)

It's embarassing to me considering I primarily listen to stuff like Tool and Chevelle, hard rock I guess but some pop stuff just makes you listen and like it.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Y'know, I certainly spent a good amount of time listening to Ian Dury and the Blockheads when I was much younger, and I'm not at all embarrased to admit it, but otoh, I don't really find much I like about it these days.

To each his own, but I find it kind of flat, and the band kind of wonky.

But I do like so much other naff crap that it makes up for it.
I revisited some of this stuff recently and felt the opposite way. To each his own indeed but to describe songs like 'wake up and make love' and 'what a waste' as flat and wonky would be stretching credulity. There was definitely a split personality going on with ID and the blockheads - The music hall rinky dinky tracks that suited Dury's lyrics and the very funky side with Chas Jankel and Norman Watt -Roy to the fore.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky b
I revisited some of this stuff recently and felt the opposite way. To each his own indeed but to describe songs like 'wake up and make love' and 'what a waste' as flat and wonky would be stretching credulity. There was definitely a split personality going on with ID and the blockheads - The music hall rinky dinky tracks that suited Dury's lyrics and the very funky side with Chas Jankel and Norman Watt -Roy to the fore.
OK, I'm gonna go listen again.

I just realized today that I like the Pet Shop Boys version of "Always On My Mind" and some of their other songs, especially the one that Dusty Springfield sings on.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Here's another 10 and DON'T LAUGH:

21) Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka
22) Shannon by Henry Gross
23) Touch Me by Samantha Fox
24) Him by Rupert Holmes
25) Let's Go All The Way by Sly Fox
26) Kiss Me Deadly by Lita Ford
27) All By Myself by Eric Carmen
28) Toy Soldiers by Martica
29) Nothin's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glen Medieros
30) Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Guru

Yup
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

30) Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks no shame in loving that one ...
Old 16th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb66
Here's another 10 and DON'T LAUGH:

21) Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka
22) Shannon by Henry Gross
23) Touch Me by Samantha Fox
24) Him by Rupert Holmes
25) Let's Go All The Way by Sly Fox
26) Kiss Me Deadly by Lita Ford
28) Toy Soldiers by Martica
29) Nothin's Gonna Change My Love For You by Glen Medieros
30) Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
Now we're talkin'. A man with ballz.

Great list, dude.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Guru

Make it with You - Bread
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

OK, Ok, I'm pretty old, so I span a lot of guilt:

80's:
Anything by Duran Duran, had to hate them 'cause they were cute little brits but their stuff actually sounded amazing.

Nina- 99 Luftballoons (German Version to pretend to preserve Credibility)

A Ha- Take on Me

Wham - Careless Whisper. The Sax part still kills.

Cher - Turn Back Time

Earlier:

Animals - Sky Pilot

Grass Roots - A totally made up band and everything they did was awesome, especially "Midnight Confessions"

The Monkees - I am teaching my son how to play "Last Train to Clarksville" so it can be his secret weapon. Such a simple riff, so killer.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy

The Monkees - I am teaching my son how to play "Last Train to Clarksville" so it can be his secret weapon. Such a simple riff, so killer.
If I'm not mistaken, this one was actually written by Michael Nesmith.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

According to several internet sites it's by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. I've never heard of them, but apparently they wrote a number of songs for the Monkees. I think LTTC is a classic vapid pop hit, with a timeless riff. I always thought it was Goffin/King but I looked it up on the Net in response to your post, and it turns out I was wrong. At any rate, the Monkees basically had the whole LA music machine working for them at their peak.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wait a minute . . .

Am I all alone in this terrible place?

No one's responding any more!

Maybe I'm the ultimate clown!

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

For the love of God, man, I never even referenced Manilow!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

hmmm. how 'bout the All 4 One version of "I Swear". i bought that record when i was about 10...heard the tune on the radio the other day and had to crank it!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
According to several internet sites it's by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. I've never heard of them, but apparently they wrote a number of songs for the Monkees. I think LTTC is a classic vapid pop hit, with a timeless riff. I always thought it was Goffin/King but I looked it up on the Net in response to your post, and it turns out I was wrong. At any rate, the Monkees basically had the whole LA music machine working for them at their peak.
boyce and hart produced them.

they hired my cousin and me to do a remake of 'in the summer time' once. i played the little piano riff, my cuz the drums. can't remember who the rest of the guys were, but either boyce or hart sang it.

when i hear it on the radio to this day i don't know which is the original, except for in the middle of the song when it stops - and either a car accelerates in place (our version) or a car or motorcycle takes off (original). other than that we nailed it.stike

bit of late night trivia...
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
For the love of God, man, I never even referenced Manilow!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think Mandy was mentioned."You came and you gave without taking". heh
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

"Anthem Part 2"
-Blink 182

Cheers!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

I did not read all the songs here, but has anyone mentioned Edgar Winter, Frankenstein, Free Ride, Love Free Ride.

Anything from Sweet. Action, great song. Fox on the Run and Love is Like Oxygen.

A lot of the songs mentioned especally Hot Child In The City. Yes the one on itunes is a re-do by Nick. I had to go out and find the song on a Rhino disk. That LP had some other really great songs on it. Man I am the geek not only the song but the entire LP.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
30) Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks no shame in loving that one ...
NO NO NO NO NO

And if we're talkin Ian Dury, how about "Wake Up And Make Love With Me"? I really like Rythm Stick!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

The Carpenters
Andy Gibb
The Spice girls - Say what you want, those girls could sing.
Orange Juice Jones-"I saw you walking in the Rain"....hilarious
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, this one was actually written by Michael Nesmith.

Actually, now I think LTTC might also be a Boyce and Hart. I think the one by Nesmith was "Listen to the Band".

Oh, and I think he produced Repo Man.

Boyce and Hart wrote a few monkees numbers. The ones that King/Goffin and Neil Diamond didn't write.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Okay, since nobody's with me on "Moonlight Feels Right" and its kick-ass marimba solo, I'll drag out another one-hit wonder from the mid 70s :

"Sky High" by Jigsaw

discuss.

or not.

heh

-dave
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, now I think LTTC might also be a Boyce and Hart. I think the one by Nesmith was "Listen to the Band".
Nesmith wrote a bunch of Monkees songs, actually; AFAIK he was the only one who did any significant writing (I think Tork wrote one song). Some of my favorites in the Monkee-log are Nesmith tunes: "Papa Gene's Blues," "Sweet Young Thing," "Mary, Mary," "You Just May Be the One," "The Kind of Girl I Could Love," all solid, hooky pop songs with cool guitar arrangements.

I always loved Nesmith's singing, too. He was on another level than the others in terms of vocal musicianship--Dolenz had a great rock'n'soul voice and delivery, but his pitch was all over the place, and the other two.....well, the less said the better. But Nesmith could really sing.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Spooky Tooth

Quote:
Also, "Love is Alive" from the same album is a great track.

Great synth bass. I think Gary Wright played all the tracks except for the drums. I think drums were Jerry Marotta or Jim Keltner or someone like that.

I think Gary was in Spooky Tooth.
Off topic, but Gary Wright was indeed in Spooky Tooth, with Greg Ridley (bass) later of Humble Pie and Mick Jones , later of Foreigner. They had one of the all time greatest album titles, "She Broke My Heart, so I Busted Her Jaw"tutt
Attached Images
Songs you're embarrased to like.-spooky-tooth.jpg 
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Head

ymca...

just admit it... you all do the hands thing after a few beers!
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
Okay, since nobody's with me on "Moonlight Feels Right" and its kick-ass marimba solo, I'll drag out another one-hit wonder from the mid 70s :

"Sky High" by Jigsaw

discuss.

or not.

heh

-dave
Oh, I'm with you. Both of those songs make me all giggly with kitsch-driven glee.

"'Cause me and moon are itchin' to play..."

Man, that's good.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

How about Thomas Dolby? Anyone?

"She Blinded Me With Science" is such a great track, and "One of Our Submarines..." and "Windpower".

I think it's funny that Thomas Dolby played on Foreigner's "Urgent" along with Junior Walker!!!

The entire Thompson Twins album "Side Kicks" is great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search