The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs you're embarrased to like.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Funny that nobody seems to be embarrassed by anything obscure? Begs the 'are we all snobs' question. If Doris down the supermarket likes it it must be dodgy.

Personally, I'm in the un-embarrassable camp, if I like it, it's good.

PS I second the 'how can you be embarrassed by Ian Dury and the Blockheads' post. Probably the funkiest band to come out of the UK after the Average White band with the funniest lyrics ever.
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Nearly every song here.

And I ain't that embarassed.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
Nearly every song here.
Please tell me 'We built this city' didn't make the 'nearly' list!!!

As for me the first that I was embarassed to like was when I was about 11 years old - The Pretenders, Brass in Pocket - Everytime I heard that song Chrissy Hynde's voice gave me a woody! - at 11 years old that is embarassing.

Today I am embarassed to say that I like Hollaback Girl and even bought the CD

Cheers , over and out
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North

Today I am embarassed to say that I like Hollaback Girl and even bought the CD
that´s a brilliant song.

what I´m thinking is that many are embarrased by liking the artists in front of the song, not the tunes themselves. Because most of these songs are really catchy and good. Not even mention that the production is top notch in everything hitting the majors right now.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi,

...I am not particularly embarrassed about anything I listen to, but, in the spirit of things...(and by the way, my latest music purchases were a 78 from 1937 featuring Blind Boy Fuller and the 180-gram vinyl version of Bright Eyes' " I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning".):

"I dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls", by Enya. It is an old operetta song to begin with, just to add more 'arrgh' to it
I can handle a maximum of 2 Enya tunes in a row; you might say it 'cleanses my musical palate' (!), but beyond 2, I am looking for tools for suicide.

"Time after Time", Cindy Lauper...wish I had come up with that hooky melody.

ABBA is still one of the slickest, best-sounding pop outfits ever. Nothing wrong with the occational "Fernando" or one that is little-known, "Like an Angel Walking Through my Room", which, beneath its varnished surface is actually quite a moving song.

Someone said 'musical': "Music of the Night" with Michael Crawford. Of all the over-written songs Webber has done, this is the best. If Jim Steinman had gone classical-lite instead of rock, this is what Meat Loaf might have sounded like
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
None...

Why would I be embarrased to like music? Honestly...? Ever.

Some songs just make me flat out cry... depending on the intensity of my life...

Some songs make me dance in front of the mirror and fantasize about being in front 10,000 people...

Some songs bring me back to grade shcool...or high school...or the first time I did a certain drug...or the first time I was really in love.

Some songs just make me sad... I mean just damn sad.

Some songs give me hope for the day...transcend the fear for the day and lift my spirits and give me wings and make me feel like I do can anything!

Some songs make my ass shake and boogie...!

Some songs are so genuis and so perfect and I can relate to them so much that I feel sorry that I wasn't the one to write them.

Some songs are so FN' deep that I can't even hardly move and all I can do is listen.

Some songs are like a mild drug and just make me feel good, light, joyful.

No way could I be embarassed to like music. Music isn't a popularity contest and it isn't a reflectioni on who we are.

We go through enough **** in this world..

Music is one of the FEW portals we have to a place that will enlighten us...each of us in our own way.

Got Barry, Andy, Robin and Maurice in the player right now!!

Much Respect,
Right on! That's the attitude I like.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
that´s a brilliant song.

what I´m thinking is that many are embarrased by liking the artists in front of the song, not the tunes themselves. Because most of these songs are really catchy and good. Not even mention that the production is top notch in everything hitting the majors right now.
Totally agree. It's like people feel like they should be obligated to hate anything currently successful. And there are so many times I want to tell someone, "Hey, music is not always intended to be something 'deep' and emotionally 'meaningful.' Sometimes it's meant to be silly or fun." Musical snobbery abounds. I especially can't stand the indie snobs who seem to think that music's no good unless the guitars are out of tune, the singer can't sing, and the recording sounds awful...haha.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Gwyn Steffani

"I know we're cool." I guess that's the title.

A sinful pleasure for some reason. Actually, all of the hits from that record are.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
that´s a brilliant song.

Exactly.
Old 13th May 2006
Europe - "The final countdown"

But like most people, I could not hum the verse to you - even if my life depended on it.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

i caught myself listening to Whitney's "I Have Nothing" last night. almost till the end of song until a friend walked in on me at "nothing NOthing NOTHING"...

i had to quickly change, when all the surrounding tunes were Mariah Carey's "Hero" and "I can make it thru the rain".

thankfully, Dave Grusin's "Memphis Stomp" wasn't too far off.

damn gf's.... heh
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19
Pink's "Stupid Girl". I like the production actually, and the song tugs at my pop sensibilities.
Pink rules- smart lady, love her stuff.
The only "modern" pop artist I listen to an fully enjoy.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Eh, the theme from "Greatest American Superhero" - "Believe it or not" bu Joey Scarbury

Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

My father, who is not a musician and couldn't care less what anybody thinks about him, listens to all sorts of weird stuff; sea shanties, arias, Bob Seger. Occasionally something will grab his fancy--MC 900ft Jesus and Dolly Parton are on his CD shelf--and he simply buys it and enjoys it. His enjoyment of music is driven totally by what feels good to him, he has no notions about musical or production sophistication or snooty opinions about artistic integrity, if he likes it, he likes it and that's all the matters. I envy him for that. I think this thread shows how much our enjoyment of music is colored by how we think our peers will respond to what we say we like. Music wasn’t invented so that people could sit around and pontificate about why their music is superior to that other music, it was invented for people to play and enjoy and as a way for them to communicate with each other. If you like something, it speaks to you, it you don’t it doesn’t, that’s it. It is an unfortunate trait of humans that we feel the need to create empirical measurements of the quality in art in order to avoid the appearance of any emotional commitment to it. We say “if it sounds good, it is good” all the time on this board, but this thread makes it pretty clear we don’t really mean it.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

the groove!

Escape - the Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes

What a groove! And I think that's Steve Jordan playing drums on the track. Just listen how he constantly varies the groove ever so slightly through the whole song. Just incredible! I remember my old bandmates laughing at me on the tour bus while I was transcribing the drums from this song.

Also, "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright was incredible too for the same reason... Don't know who the drummer was though...

bye!

Jon
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

The whole Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" album. Except "One More Night", I really do hate that song.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

There aiin't nothing I'm embarrassed to like. I like a lot of things other folks don't or would call cheesy, sentimental, or done by artists considered lame, but so what. I like what moves me and sounds good to me. It's not about what someone else likes.

I haven't read through the thread so I'm sure I'm hitting on points others have made as well.

If you're embarrassed to admit you like something then you suck and have no balls.

There. I said it.
Old 14th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
If you're embarrassed to admit you like something then you suck and have no balls.
Nice.

speaking of ballz...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejon

Also, "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright was incredible too for the same reason... Don't know who the drummer was though...

Jon

I believe it was a machine.
Old 14th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I believe it was a machine.
I believe you're mistaken.

Dream Weaver
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also, "Love is Alive" from the same album is a great track.

Great synth bass. I think Gary Wright played all the tracks except for the drums. I think drums were Jerry Marotta or Jim Keltner or someone like that.

I think Gary was in Spooky Tooth.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm an unashamed fan of "Moonlight Feels Right" by Starbuck. After all, I think it's the only song ever to be a top ten hit with a marimba solo in it. And DAMN that's a hot marimba solo.

-dave
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
I believe you're mistaken.

Dream Weaver

Yes, you are right. Real drummer.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just pulled out the record. It says "Andy Newmark and Jim Keltner/Drums"

Keltner is such a bad dude.

The really awesome thing about the LP cover (other than the camel toe Gary's got happening) is that the silvery thing he's standing in front of on the back is now recognizeable to me as a Matthews 4'x4' Shiny Board with those little foil fringes that make it look like wind is blowing. All the illusions of life are shattered by working in production.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Both Sean Paul songs currently being played on the radio.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I just pulled out the record. It says "Andy Newmark and Jim Keltner/Drums"
Thanks Max. I'm a huge fan of Andy Newmark actually, and Keltner too. Of the two I would guess Andy Newmark...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

"Kokomo", The Beach Boys.

S Club 7. Sorry.

Oasis. Sorry.

Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Kokomo, ghee, that's bad!

Roger
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuggy
ABC: The look of love
That's no song to be embarrassed about! That's one of the -80'ies best songs, have you hear the remixed 12" version!? Super cool... must been one of the first records that used scratching and sampling as a creative tool.

I tell you a song to be amberrased to like: Amy Diamond - Shooting Star! heh

/Cojo
Old 15th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

"Word Up" by Cameo.

p.s.

ABC and Duran Duran kick ass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search