The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs you're embarrased to like.
Old 12th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho
I'll play ...

TOXIC
You beat me jeje, I was going to say Toxic too.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz
You beat me jeje, I was going to say Toxic too.

The only Britney track on my iPod.

...and I've actually seen H&O in concert, back in Philly, seventh row. (w/T-Bone and G.E. Smith)

Good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
hey, yeah, that's no fair! C'mon. Hugs, everybody! I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!(head butt)
I was only kidding.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
Okaaay!

Time to close this thread. Weekend****** just dropped the "Love Theme from Titanic" bomb.

I, for one, am a big fan of many of the songs mentioned and maybe worse, but you gotta call some people out. There's no excuse.

We're all a little shocked when a friend comes out of the closet, but in this day and age should we judge? Should we not strive for understanding and compassion? Should we not respect the courage it took to come out and admit to liking the "Love Theme from Titanic"?

um....no we shouldn't. That being said I offer my guilty pleasures. Flame away

Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon
Toxic - Britany Spears
Anything by the Cardigans including Love Fool
Every Rose Has it's Thorn - Poison (but only when someone does it at Karaoke or Open Mic)
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
"Walking on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves
My brother was a guitar player in that band and quit the band right before they broke that song....doh!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancetones
Should we not strive for understanding and compassion? Should we not respect the courage it took to come out and admit to liking the "Love Theme from Titanic"?

I dunno. You have to draw the line SOMEWHERE! heh
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Pink's "Stupid Girl". I like the production actually, and the song tugs at my pop sensibilities.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Woah, your embarrased by 80's music and pop ballads?!?!??.....let's take this to another level....BROADWAY MUSICALS

I was brainwashed as a small child and I still.....ahem......like......music from Les Miserables and Phantom of The Opera. ("like" is a strong term, but I definetely have that some of that stuff memorized).

but my parents raised me on that crap....

It is so wrong??

One interesting side effect is that if I ever hear any of the songs from the musical CATS, I shake in rage, spew obscenities, and become extremely violent

Just say the word Mr. Mestopholes...........I dare u

I can't believe I just posted that on the internet.....
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
Woah, your embarrased by 80's music and pop ballads?!?!??.....let's take this to another level....BROADWAY MUSICALS

I was brainwashed as a small child and I still.....ahem......like......music from Les Miserables and Phantom of The Opera. ("like" is a strong term, but I definetely have that some of that stuff memorized).

It is so wrong??

One interesting side effect is that if I ever hear any of the songs from the musical CATS, I shake in rage, spew obscenities, and become extremely violent

OK, that's it! This madness needs to stop right now!

Jules????
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

oh yeah...Micheal Mcdonald..

I keep forgettin, and Yo Mah Be there

Dude can sing his ass off!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando
OK, that's it! This madness needs to stop right now!

Jules????
oh 'cmon, why is that so mad? Is there really that big a difference (measured in pure cheesy-ness) between Michael Mcdonald, The final countdown, Abba, and the overture to phantom of the Opera?

didn't think so.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

It is so wrong??

Nothing wrong with musicals. I was raised on "The Sound of Music", "Funny Girl", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Dr. Doolittle".... Great music. Man, did you know that at one point Andrew Lloyd Webber was making 8 MILLION dollars a MONTH in royalties from his productions. Can't argue with that kind of success. And the tune "Bring Him Home" from Les Mis is one of the most beautiful ballads ever written.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
oh 'cmon, why is that so mad? Is there really that big a difference (measured in pure cheesy-ness) between Michael Mcdonald, The final countdown, Abba, and the overture to phantom of the Opera?

didn't think so.

Well, as long as you didn't mention Michael Bolton.
I'm sorry, that would be tar & feather worthy.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

A few songs I'm not very proud of come to mind:

"Shout" - Tears for Fears
"Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds
"Obsession" - Animotion
"You Take My Breath Away" - Berlin
"Borderline" - Madonna
"Long Way to Love" - Britney Fox
"10,000 Lovers In One" - TNT
"Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply" - Slade

(pretty much anything on Sirius Satellite Radio's First Wave channel)
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Y'know if you really listen to Queen, most of the songs are really just rock show-tunes.

OK, anyone got a soft spot for....

TESH?
Attached Thumbnails
Songs you're embarrased to like.-johntesh04.jpg  
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

lmao, i kid you not, i sang Every Rose Has It's Thorn last night at karaoke night!

ok i havn't really listned to it in years, but i liked the Vanilla Ice "Extremely Live" album, and that attempt at chunk guitar album he did.....

too cold
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm amazed at you folks! There's so many great songs in this list - no need to be ashamed!

But I draw the line at "99 Red Balloons"! [Note to self - must destroy that tape of me being forced to play it in concert!]

dfegad
Old 12th May 2006
david hasselhoff

'Looking for freedom'
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't this the premise of Jack-FM?

-R
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just about everything on the "worst popular song in rock and roll" thread...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear
ok, i have to admit i also liked the titanic theme.
also a justin tune, can't remember the name but it was well recorded and produced.

dug mbop when it came out... my bumps (that peas song)... sill dig it... some. and last but not least..................

drumroll please................

hey hey we're the monkeys and there's a kind of hush (herman's hermits)!!!!! it was embarrassig to admit this ****e back then ...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks, by the way, for mentioning the Carly Simon song "Nobody Does it Better".

In fact, I think it's funny that a lot of Bond themes are songs I enjoy but am embarrased to admit.

Anyone ever heard Dionne Warwick's "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" which was an alternate theme submitted for Thunderball?

I like that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang got a mention here. I loved that book and movie when I was a kid.

I was in a few punk bands when I was in high school, and one of 'em was called "Pretty Sh*tty Gang Bang".

Keep 'em coming, guys. I get a kick out of this kind of stuff.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes! The Monkees! My favorite embarrassing Monkees song was called "Sometime in the Morning." If you're old enough to remember 60's shampoo commercials, this was basically a 3-minute 60's shampoo commercial....but it's irresistible. It was written by Carole King, after all, so I guess I don't have to be totally ashamed.

Another one like that: Henry Gross's "Shannon."

And lots of circa-1970 top 40 tunes like

"Brandy"

"Indiana Wants Me"

"Reflections of My Life"

"Ma Belle Ami"

etc.....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Early Sweet songs like Little Willy, Poppa Joe, Funny Funny etc...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Thanks, by the way, for mentioning the Carly Simon song "Nobody Does it Better".

In fact, I think it's funny that a lot of Bond themes are songs I enjoy but am embarrased to admit.

Anyone ever heard Dionne Warwick's "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" which was an alternate theme submitted for Thunderball?

I like that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang got a mention here. I loved that book and movie when I was a kid.

I was in a few punk bands when I was in high school, and one of 'em was called "Pretty Sh*tty Gang Bang".

Keep 'em coming, guys. I get a kick out of this kind of stuff.
Hey Max, do you recall who wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?? His only chidren's book. And no, I haven't heard "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (hint) but I'd LOVE to hear it. Was it a Bacharach/David submission?

Mr. Middleton's reminder of Looking Glass' "Brandy" hit a nerve. What an incredible one hit wonder. Serious changes and great arrangement. I've NEVER heard that tune covered. Too hip for the pedestrian cover band. And now too old....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Monkees... Probably the only tune I'll hit skip on is "Daydream Believer". Anne Murry's version was a little smoother but still.....

I want to do a remake of one of Goffin/King's Monkee tunes. TOTALLY viable in 2006. I'm not going to say which one 'cause I don't want to jinx it.... Haha!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancetones
Should we not strive for understanding and compassion? Should we not respect the courage it took to come out and admit to liking the "Love Theme from Titanic"?

um....no we shouldn't.
This reminds me of a line from Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs: "Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and yours is wrong."

(The Book of Bad Songs, BTW, is required reading for anybody who thought it worth posting to a thread like this. It deserves to live eternally if only for the description of Dan Hill's 'Sometimes When We Touch': "[He] sounds like he's having his prostate examined by Captain Hook.")
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
Hey Max, do you recall who wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?? His only chidren's book. And no, I haven't heard "Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (hint) but I'd LOVE to hear it. Was it a Bacharach/David submission?
Yeah, Ian Fleming, which is kind of funny because of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang/Bond themes in this thread.

I dunno who wrote that song, but given that it's a Dionne Warwick thing, I'd bet it might be Bacharach. She's the bomb, too. I love her stuff.
Old 13th May 2006
OHA
Gear Addict

Ehhh Dolly Parton- Nine to five... Dont tell anyone...
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

"...And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you til I die
Til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
ok, i have to admit i also liked the titanic theme

There goes another one!

Look...I just spoke with my Great-Grandmother, she was on the Titanic and she just called raal
and Weekend****** a coupla wussies. No lie.

Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
"Walking on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves

"Hey Micky" - Toni Basel

"99 Red Balloons" - Nena

All 3 are "chick songs"! What's wrong with me???? ARRRGGGG...!!!
being a student at a very hip college (Bard, so many hipsters you wouldn't believe) and not denying myself as running with the hipster crowd. i would have to say that those are definitely not unhip song. in fact i'm suprised at what people think is unhip.

you go to any cool bar in NYC or LA or anywhere when 99 red balloons comes on the place explodes. someone else mentioned billy jeane. basically anytime a DJ notices that nobody is dancing and things need to kick up, MJ comes on. 99 Red Balloons is kind of a closer for the night.

my choice: most of the singles by U2. U2 is so unhip right now. the most unhip of all is probably disocteche or any of the new stuff but that's not old enough for this thread.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search