The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Songs you're embarrased to like.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anything by Ally & AJ, Ashlee Simpson & Kelly Clarkson..."chick rock speaks to my soul.

LOL...no seriously.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
Okaaay!

Time to close this thread. Weekend****** just dropped the "Love Theme from Titanic" bomb.

I, for one, am a big fan of many of the songs mentioned and maybe worse, but you gotta call some people out. There's no excuse.

Edit: Love Is Like Oxygen!!...great song. Have you heard the extended version? I guess it's the album version, I'm not sure. Little Willy, by the same group, now that's one to keep a secret.
Man, how do you like that? I get invited to share my deepest shame with all of you and get bitch-slapped.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
Oooo! Oooo! "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister" pure unalduterated POP! I have ALL their records. They just kept getting better. (Sound like a little school girl...) But they're truly great.

Seconded! 80s dance pop didn't get much catchier or better produced than that. Great vocal performance, and those horns that break up the chorus ("Breakout"... into "Don't stop / to ask") are fantastic.

See also:

1) "Some Kind Of Lover" - Jody Watley (hey, I had a crush on her as a kid)
2) "That's The Way It Is" - Celine Dion (the one & only song of hers that doesn't make me lunge to change the station)
3) "I Want You Back" - N'Sync (funny, the J. Timberlake thread from the other day really brought the knives out, but trust me, there's going to be some serious critical revisionism of the boyband era in 20 years' time...)
4) "Baby, One More Time" - Britney Spears (hey, you turn a whole-step piano figure into a killer intro! Max Martin is a genius - it's no fluke that he penned 2 of the 3 other songs on this list...)
Old 12th May 2006
One with big hooves

I'm a closet '80s freak.

I make no bones or attempts to hide my love for Duran Duran...

But Bon Jovi...damn dude...they wrote some SOLID songs.

Maybe it's because Ritchie Sambora seemed had the some of the best phrasing & tone out of that whole batch of 80's gee'tar slingers...WAY WAY better then Poison, Warrent, White Lion or any of that other crap floating around at the time.

How about Night Ranger?

I found myself cranking up "Sister Christian" in the car a few days ago...

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs

Whenever I hear that song I just cant help thinking about the movie Boogie Nights, when they are in that crackhead dealer's house and the Asian guy is setting off fireworks and the dealer is just grooving along, singing "...sister christian now your time has come...."

Freaking-Hilarious!!

J.D.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
oh, and this one is really horrible but I must confess: I actually purchased the video/song for my iPod: "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. I like this song even though it is probably one of the signs of an impending holocaust.....

J.D.
Haha...yeah, I actually received the CD in the mail today. It's actually quite a nicely-executed CD from what I can tell so far (I've only listened to the first half. It certainly has a different feel from many "popular music" CDs of late. Numerous well-flowing song segues are not exactly common at the moment, and I've always been a sucker for them.

One more that I feel a bit odd listening to..."Beat Of My Heart" by Hilary Duff. I'll be damned if that song isn't one of the catchiest things I've ever heard. The first time I heard it [live on the Grammy's (?)], it was stuck in my head for a freakin' week. Jeez...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend******
Man, how do you like that? I get invited to share my deepest shame with all of you and get bitch-slapped.

That'll learn ya.

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

(I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this)

Believe - Cher

The hookiest piece of ear candy ever.

Oh, the shame.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'm embarrased by nothing. I consider it a badge if I find something awsome and overlooked about something roundly hated. I live for Duran Duran's Bass lines and arrangements, I could listen to Mel Torme sing from the phone book, I really think "Hit me Baby One More Time" is a cool progression and a tight song regardless of who's singing it, Karma Chameleon has really cool narrative and makes a good country song, I love Rock Me Like a Hurricane and Juke Box Hero, I aspire to write songs as tight and simple as the Go Go's, I had an Elvis phase, I think Herb Albert is genius, I still listen to Ministry and Skinny Puppy records, Paul Revere and the Raiders were very under-rated, Joni Mitchell's Blue is still one of my favorite all time records, between 15 and 20 years old I listened to Slayer's Reign in Blood and Husker Du's Land Speed Record more than any other records, I still love Weezer's first record, Madonna's Ray of Light is a very enjoyable and musical record, I like Hank Williams and Kelly Clarkson songs.... I think you get the idea.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru
OK- I'll play. Stacey's Mom by Fountains of Wayne. In fact, the first ten songs on that album. I'm a sucker for clever.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
OK- I'll play. Stacey's Mom by Fountains of Wayne. In fact, the first ten songs on that album. I'm a sucker for clever.
But Isn't that "cool" music? When my 2nd grade son was asked in school what his favorite song was last year, I guess expecting Barney's theme or something, he said "Stacey's Mom has Got It Goin On".
I think Fountains of Wayne also did the music for that Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do". Now THAT's music I turn up that I'm embarrassed to admit.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I actually LOVE 'The Elder' by Kiss.

"You're not well.... um Mr Blackwell, why don't you... go to heeeeeeeeeell".

JR
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Only In My Dreams & Foolish Beat, by Debbie Gibson......
Remember Walkin' In The Sand, by The Shangrilas.....
Angst ridden chick singers do it for me in a big way!!!!
By the way, Remember Walkin' In The Sand was produced by Shadow Morton, who also produced The New York Dolls.
Old 12th May 2006
The Final Countdown - Europe

Take on Me - A-ha

Ninety Nine Red Balloons - Nena

Super Trooper - ABBA (and most of their stuff actually I privately think is great)

Dirty - Christina Aguilera (I'm happy to watch the video on my own too heh)

Could it be Magic - the Take That version

I'm sure more will come out in time.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

ABC: The look of love
Michael Jackson + Mick Jagger:State of shock
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend******
hey, yeah, that's no fair! C'mon. Hugs, everybody! I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!(head butt)
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
I cant go for that, Hall and Oates

Total Eclipse of the heart

Islands in the Stream

Playing with the queen of hearts

Love is like Oxygen ELO
This reminds me that I'm never embarrased to like Hall and Oates. They have achieved the lofty mantle of being one of about three white acts that get regular rotation on the classic R&B and Funk stations (along with Boz Scaggs and AWB). No mean feat. They're a soul act, hands down. And copping T-Bone Wolk and G.E. Smith? Stellar! Like many great soul acts, they had an embarrasing eighties and a member with an embarrasing solo career (Commodores, anyone?) But Sara Smile, Rich Girl? C'mon!!

And ELO, I love, hands down. No shame. I think Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Roy Orbison agreed on that.

And I see the Carpenters mentioned here. Hell, anyone who's into music production has to at least recognize those songs as impeccably rendered. The Carpenters Greatest (the brown cover) is a constant reference disk for me. And songs by Bacharach, Paul Williams....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

"Africa" by Toto

I can't believe that I just admitted that, cheesy power pop. Great musicians and great sonically, but it's still so cheesy.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli
Wow, So I'm not alone in my affection for '70s AM radio pop and rock. How about Jigsaw's "Sky High", Pilot's "Magic", any and all Sweet ("Love Is Like Oxygen" is their tune, btw), and ELO. Love Nick Gilder and Pat Benatar. Benny Mardones' 'Into The Night"...that's a singin' son-of-a-bitch right there.
Hey! Jigsaw! "Sky High"! I got that record for free when I was 13 or so. I went up to the WRNO (Deep voice: "We're the ROCK of New Orleans") remote van and said hi. "Hey little dude, here's an album for ja!". Never heard of them. Put it on. Hey! Cool tune! I was using my allowance on The Beatles and Yes back then.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I must admit I love Bright eyes by Simon Garfunkel makes me think of those poor little rabbits
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This reminds me that I'm never embarrased to like Hall and Oates.
Nothing embarrasing about H&O. If you ever get the chance, watch Darryl Hall singing 'Me and Mrs. Jones' from their A&E Live By Request performance. One of the most stellar vocal perfermances I have ever seen. Hall is one of the all time best singers.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

None...

Why would I be embarrased to like music? Honestly...? Ever.

Some songs just make me flat out cry... depending on the intensity of my life...

Some songs make me dance in front of the mirror and fantasize about being in front 10,000 people...

Some songs bring me back to grade shcool...or high school...or the first time I did a certain drug...or the first time I was really in love.

Some songs just make me sad... I mean just damn sad.

Some songs give me hope for the day...transcend the fear for the day and lift my spirits and give me wings and make me feel like I do can anything!

Some songs make my ass shake and boogie...!

Some songs are so genuis and so perfect and I can relate to them so much that I feel sorry that I wasn't the one to write them.

Some songs are so FN' deep that I can't even hardly move and all I can do is listen.

Some songs are like a mild drug and just make me feel good, light, joyful.

No way could I be embarassed to like music. Music isn't a popularity contest and it isn't a reflectioni on who we are.

We go through enough in this world..

Music is one of the FEW portals we have to a place that will enlighten us...each of us in our own way.

Got Barry, Andy, Robin and Maurice in the player right now!!

Much Respect,
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
This reminds me that I'm never embarrased to like Hall and Oates. They have achieved the lofty mantle of being one of about three white acts that get regular rotation on the classic R&B and Funk stations (along with Boz Scaggs and AWB). No mean feat. They're a soul act, hands down. And copping T-Bone Wolk and G.E. Smith? Stellar! Like many great soul acts, they had an embarrasing eighties and a member with an embarrasing solo career (Commodores, anyone?) But Sara Smile, Rich Girl? C'mon!!

And ELO, I love, hands down. No shame. I think Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Roy Orbison agreed on that.

And I see the Carpenters mentioned here. Hell, anyone who's into music production has to at least recognize those songs as impeccably rendered. The Carpenters Greatest (the brown cover) is a constant reference disk for me. And songs by Bacharach, Paul Williams....
Sara Smile! Rich Girl! YES!

The Carpenters! Totally agree!

Bacharach/David. Some of my alltime favorites. Check out "Kalidescope World" by Swing out Sister. Great homage to Bacharach and Webb styles.

Paul Williams! Excellent songwriter. "Just an Old Fashioned Love Song". "We've Only Just Begun", "Rainy Days and Mondays", "I Won't Last a Day Without You", "What Would They Say", "Someday Man" (Great Monkee's tune), "Waking Up Alone", "Rainbow Connection", "Theme to the Love Boat" HAHA!! Talk about cheese!, "Evergreen" (Won a Grammy), "You and Me Against the World"
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

I used to be embarrassed that I like Avril Lavigne... now I'm not... I absolutely love her second album... my fav album in years. I do think it's way over-squashed, but it's the songwriting/performances that do it for me. No filler songs, and it seems really honest and from the heart... i don't know it just does it for me, big time. And it rocks!

I also really dig Kelly Clarkson's second album... I'm still a little embarrassed about that, but I'm getting over it... that record sounds so damn good... the production/engineering is awesome (IMO)... the drums and her voice especially. And it's seems more big and groovin' and less compressed to me than most other comparable stuff. And a few really great songs on there, too.

McBalls
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I never liked her personaly, but I really like the singles i heard from her album pieces of me

Ashlee Simpson.....................................

toxic is also a great song.

and kelly clarkson.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

After Rod did that "If You Think I'm Sexy" song, I was embarrassed that I am such a huge fan of his earlier work with the Faces and JB.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
I'm a closet '80s freak. How about Night Ranger?

I like that song too. FInd myself singing along when it comes on, then I catch myslef!

I also like some 80's "Where are they now" band tunes; like Safety Dance, Take On Me, 99 Luftballons, Sex (I'm A), Cars, Der Kommissar...

Heaven help me!

-g
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Shame on Shame

Send Me an Angel - Real Life

Kyrie - Mr Mister

Everyday - Britney Spears

We Belong - Pat Benatar
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

"Walking on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves

"Hey Micky" - Toni Basel

"99 Red Balloons" - Nena

All 3 are "chick songs"! What's wrong with me???? ARRRGGGG...!!!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I will have to admit that every time my cell rings I listen to Toxic. So yeah...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search