The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Guitar Modeling: better from a plug or from an amp
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

Guitar Modeling: better from a plug or from an amp

Trying to answer the following before parting with the legal tender: Any difference in quality, between a guitar amp that has built in modeling (i.e. Fender Mustang series) and a VST plug like Guitar Rig?
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Maniac

My two cents: Although it is easy to be lead into the way of thought that options with hardware implied are automatically better than software, it isn't necessarily the case. I used my PODxt to record guitars for quite a while, but when I tried the Eleven Free plugin that came with Pro Tools 8 just for the fun of it, it simply blew the PODxt away. I have been using it since, and although it only has two amp models and two cab models, it still rocks anything I have managed with the PODxt.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Personally, I would go with plugins. That way with the modeling, you get all the convenience as well.

With modeling amps, I find that they sometimes sound pretty good in the room. Even with a tube power amp. But put a mic on front of them, and then you end up with weird artifacts.

So why compromise on the tone, when you are already having to do all the extra work of micing an amp (placement, room, volume, etc.).

With plugins or a dedicated preamp, you get all the convenience with about the same compromise in tone.

As for hardware vs. plugins. I prefer tracking with hardware (GSP1101, RP500, Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro) for low latency and convenience while tracking. But I always take a DI. I reamp through tube amps 60% of the time, then I would say 30% use plugins, the last 10% keep the tone from the hardware.

The latency with plugins really isn't bad with the right setup. I know there is a lot of debate. But my rig will go down to about 6ms. However, 4 guitar tracks later, drum processing, etc. It gets a little interesting. So I use the zero-latency mixer in my interface. Easier on the compy and the musicians prefer it.
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Honestly, either way you can get great sounds!

Modeling amplifiers are generally less flexible than something like Amplitube or Guitar Rig, simply because dedicated computer software can have so many more options and ways to configure a given setup. So if having a million sounds available to you is important, I'd say go with software.

However with a modeling amplifier it does give you some options that you might not get with software. Some of the modeling amps have decent hardware components that do a great job at just being an amp. So if you like a slightly more "analog" approach, you can bypass the modeling stuff in the amp, just use the speaker and/or cab (or combo...whatever) and then use a few pedals for your tone shaping. Mic the speaker and you get all kinds of other options for various techniques you can use in that regard.

I've found that both can work really well...

That's probably an irritating answer because it doesn't really give you a solid "yes" or "no"...but hopefully it highlights of pros and cons of each for your decision making.

- Gizz
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesterDude View Post
Trying to answer the following before parting with the legal tender: Any difference in quality, between a guitar amp that has built in modeling (i.e. Fender Mustang series) and a VST plug like Guitar Rig?
Yes - the Axe FX will smoke any plugin, and many amps in its path. Best investment you can make for guitar tracking, IMO. With a tube power amp, mic it up and it destroys on tape!

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's no definitive test, but I would assume that the processing power of a desktop computer would smoke the processing power of the digital modeling circuits found in hardware. So plugins should have the potential for more complex and accurate simulations. Whether or not this is true in practice I can't say.
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input, good food for a food fight....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search