The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A-T Customer Service
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

A-T Customer Service

Hi guys,

In this day and age of questionable customer service I'd like to relay my story from Audio Technica.

I sent my 2 1/2 year old, no longer under warranty, AT4060 to Audio Technica about 3 weeks ago because a strange wooshing sound. I've read a few threads here that I'm not the only one with this problem with a mic (Soundelux mics come to mind). Anyway, they charged me $250 to replace the element. OK no big deal, I use this mic all the time and need it. I got the mic back within a week of sending it out. A couple of days later the mic started making intermitent clicks and pops that got worse over the next few days. So, I sent the mic, power supply, and cable back to A-T again.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a week so last monday I called them and they said it wasn't making any strange noises and that they'd let me know if it might be the power supply or cable...go figure, just like my car that never seems to make the same sounds at their garage as they do in mine.

Flash forward to today. Not only did I get a package from UPS from them but in the box was a BRAND NEW MIC with a BRAND NEW power supply and a BRAND NEW cable! WOW!

Like I said at the beginning of this post the mic wasn't under warranty and I didn't call and complain that this mic still wasn't working so I'm still not sure why they replaced the whole mic set but I'm not complaining heh

I just wanted to relate a positive experience with customer service and to say if there are any other companies out there...this is the way to treat customers.
Attached Files

ezdrummerfillproblemfixed.mp3 (1.18 MB, 337 views)

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT North America is excellent.Fantastic customer service. 4050 is one of the best mics around too.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs
Hi guys,

In this day and age of questionable customer service I'd like to relay my story from Audio Technica.

I sent my 2 1/2 year old, no longer under warranty, AT4060 to Audio Technica about 3 weeks ago because a strange wooshing sound. I've read a few threads here that I'm not the only one with this problem with a mic (Soundelux mics come to mind). Anyway, they charged me $250 to replace the element. OK no big deal, I use this mic all the time and need it. I got the mic back within a week of sending it out. A couple of days later the mic started making intermitent clicks and pops that got worse over the next few days. So, I sent the mic, power supply, and cable back to A-T again.

I didn't hear anything back from them for a week so last monday I called them and they said it wasn't making any strange noises and that they'd let me know if it might be the power supply or cable...go figure, just like my car that never seems to make the same sounds at their garage as they do in mine.

Flash forward to today. Not only did I get a package from UPS from them but in the box was a BRAND NEW MIC with a BRAND NEW power supply and a BRAND NEW cable! WOW!

Like I said at the beginning of this post the mic wasn't under warranty and I didn't call and complain that this mic still wasn't working so I'm still not sure why they replaced the whole mic set but I'm not complaining heh

I just wanted to relate a positive experience with customer service and to say if there are any other companies out there...this is the way to treat customers.
That is great news. For two reasons. One. You got everything you wanted fixed and more. Two. I have a pair of 4060's and one of them is making a "wooshing" noise also. It almost sounds like a tube going bad but I haven't tried changing it yet. Can you do me a favor and describe exactly what it sounded like?

Thanks,
Michael Greene
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Michael,

I, at first, thought it was a tube also. I tapped the tube with a pencil and it was slightly microphonic. I ordered a sovetk replacement but it didn't make any difference in the "wooshing" sound. I had one client say it sounded like listening to "the ocean through a shell" kinda rising and falling wooshing.

I did a search on this forum and found the same thing happening with some Soundelux mics. Someone said it was caused by moisture build up on the diaphram. They suggested setting the mic up in front of a 100 watt light bulb for an hour to dry it out. It makes some sense but I'd be afraid of warping the diaphram.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not this (moisture buildup) is a common on mics? I mean, classic mics that are 40 years old have a great sound because the element is 40 years old and has never been replaced.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably be sending mine back also. Maybe I will have as great of luck as you....heh

Michael Greene
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

A-T sent me fresh rubber bands for my shockmounts and I don't remember getting charged for them. Rode did the same thing. Cool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search