The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power Conditioner Upgrade? Should I? Studio Monitors
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut

Power Conditioner Upgrade? Should I?

So I have a HP dv7 (Dr. Dre Laptop), a pair of the Yamaha HS-50, 2TB WD external Hard Drive, a powered USB hub with 7 USB ports, a Glyph GT050Q 500GB external hard drive, and I plan to buy an M-Audio SBX10 Subwoofer and what I want to know is, should I invest in a power conditioner?
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear
No. Waste of money.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear
If you have dirty power, then they (depending on exact type) can help - but that will depend on where you live and how your house/building is wired. Some surge protection is also always welcome. There may be other features that are handy. For example, some conditioners will power up the outlets in a certain sequence so that your monitor amps turn on last to avoid blowing out the tweeters, etc. They may also have handy features like an ammeter and maybe even automatic voltage regulation.

So basically, it depends on what power conditioner you are talking about.

Then beyond that, we can get into UPS battery systems, many of which offer the same features, plus the battery for the same cost, at least with smaller setups. The tradeoff being that in order to handle larger loads (like that of a small pro project studio) they can tend to get a little pricey.

My studio is running off a Cyber Power UPS with true sine wave and AVR and then into a Monster Power Pro 3500. The 3500 is rather redundant, but I have it in there simply for the power-up and power-down sequencing because it does really nothing else that my Cyber Power UPS doesn't already do.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
No. Waste of money.
Unless you have an identifiable noise problem (and most rooms don't) this is exactly correct.

Jim Brown being both the AES committee chair on EMI/RFI and a HAM (amateur radio operator) has several papers on noise, interference and power conditioning.

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut

Nice, thanks.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

My little studio's have always been in a house, and the incoming power was always crappy - dirty, s*****, unreliable. 4 houses, 4 studio's, all audibly benefited from the use of power conditioners. I've been using an APC UPS for 6 years and have been happy wit hit. When recording without it I hear a difference in noise levels; meaning noise floor.

Take that for what it's worth.
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Nut

Kool
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search