The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix my tracks! (Just for fun) Enhancer Plugins
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

my lousy attempt on some nicely recorded music
Attached Files

stereo_01.mp3 (878.8 KB, 640 views)

Old 14th May 2006
no ssl yet
I actually liked a few of these. It's cool to see peoples interpretations. It proves their is no 1 way that's right. Now of course some of them prove their is several wrong ways as well
Old 14th May 2006
hrn
Lives for gear

Here's my try
simonv

Edit: Just saw it was 48 kHz...Take it as fun then...

The right one here:
simonv2
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBeanZen
Mr. Green,

Your mix sounds excellent!

RBZ
Why, thank you both, kind sirs! (demel included)

RawBean, I quite liked yours as well as Mr SSL deficient's (who, obviously, is not afraid of the producer's cap) and the one from Cornvalley.

Quite an interesting thread!
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

How about doing this with a full-length track?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

I would've done it with the full length song, with many more electric guitar tracks and such, but I don't have enough bandwidth. Just this little experiment took 7 gigs of bw in 2 days
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonv
I would've done it with the full length song, with many more electric guitar tracks and such, but I don't have enough bandwidth. Just this little experiment took 7 gigs of bw in 2 days
Nice, good response from the GS community on it Seems tons of ppl have mixed this for themselves without posting it, just for practise.

I bet your mix-try offer/exercise has been appreciated by all of them
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe some could explain the reasoning behind their mixes, don't you think?

When I started playing guitar in the 60's, a friend and I would bang out stuff like this all the time on our acoustics. Nothing else was needed. It's nice to have other elements support that, but totally superfluous to our groove.
This little snippet reminded me of those days and the intimacy of that kind of grouping. It's tempting to make things stand out and call your attention to them, and maybe in an extended piece there would be some opportunities to do that. But in this short example, establishing a groove and it's supporting elements is all one needs to do.
BTW over emphasizing the bass guitar with this grouping is a big mistake. Takes away from the guitar's energy.
Old 15th May 2006
no ssl yet
Funny you mention the reasoning behind it.

I tried to treat it as if there was a vocal (or something) that would be added later.

I figured it would be cool to see if I could leave space for something not there but not make it sound empty.

(and in the words of one of my favorite college professors "DOES this make sense?"
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Nice, good response from the GS community on it Seems tons of ppl have mixed this for themselves without posting it, just for practise.

I bet your mix-try offer/exercise has been appreciated by all of them
Certainly by me. Thanks, Simonv.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
Funny you mention the reasoning behind it.

I tried to treat it as if there was a vocal (or something) that would be added later.

I figured it would be cool to see if I could leave space for something not there but not make it sound empty.

(and in the words of one of my favorite college professors "DOES this make sense?"
Your intuition was good, there is a vocal part for the song. I didnt post it because it's a badly sung/recorded ****-track, and it's in french so most of the people wouldn't have understood a thing!

Your's is my favorite up to now by the way! Do you do this professionally, how did you mix it? (Through what kind of equipment/monitoring?)
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley
But in this short example, establishing a groove and it's supporting elements is all one needs to do.
Completely agree! That's the way I approach it too
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I had an Acoustic Alchemy kind of thing in mind. They didn't use vocals. It's a fun romp though, what you did.
Old 15th May 2006
no ssl yet
Quote:
Your intuition was good, there is a vocal part for the song. I didnt post it because it's a badly sung/recorded ****-track, and it's in french so most of the people wouldn't have understood a thing!

Your's is my favorite up to now by the way! Do you do this professionally, how did you mix it? (Through what kind of equipment/monitoring?)

Well Dayum, Thanks. If I had any idea that you'd like it I wouldnt have tossed the protools file

I use a protools HD2accel/apogee rosetta 800 with an Emes mini owl as my monitor

I'm still trying to figure out just what the hell I do professionally, but I really dont consider myself an engineer. I'm more of a student of engineering at this stage IMO
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks...that was fun...
Attached Files

simonv1.mp3 (1.71 MB, 582 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

>Maybe some could explain the reasoning behind their mixes, don't you think?

This was my mix:
http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.p...4a5192c5fff88b

Good idea...

I explained my reasoning already. But I'll add some thoughts... When I heard my mix and compared it to my studio sound I noticed I do still have some monitoring problems, because the stereo image was too large in consumer speakers and in the studio playback room I didn't notice how much reverb I really got on one speaker.

In terms of my approach on the mix I am not sure did I do the right thing by muting the drums. I used the acoustic strum guitar as my main rhythm element because I thought it was grooving quite nicely, the kick drum was my main problem with the drum track, it was quite round but hard in the velocity and I knew I didn't have good enough equipment for targeting that element efficiently enough in the competition and I was not very satisfied with the way it consumed the sound field, so I tried to minimize that loss as efficiently as possible by muting it. Now afterwards I realise it was still not competitive enough, a lot of you had succeeded really well with processing the kick drum or giving the mix an overall nice softness, so should I maybe have tried to process it with my available gear anyway just for a more rich groove. I dont' think so though, I think I should have made the strum guitar softer, just to make the mix more competitive in terms of the overall softness. I underestimated the importance of rhythm-softness in this case.

Another mistake I did was to limit the song quite hard. When I did that I had really forgot that some of you have analog equipment at hands and I would actually lose by trying to be competitive in terms of loudness/clearity with my cheap digital setup. That was another mistake I did. I've also realised I did ONE really big mistake in my mix, that I didn't notice before now. I was emphasizing the interesting parts, but NOT MUCH ENOUGH! I heard several parts in my mix that I should have used more efficiently, especially the bass guitar and electric guitar... Overall I was too careless in the end of the mix... I should have NOT added that keyboard steel guitar (which was really not consuming the sound field good at all) and I SHOULD have made the kick drum beating on beats 1,3 instead of on beats 2,4. I used the wrong electric piano... Then my last mistake: I consumed the multiband peak limiter not efficiently enough, resulting in the loss of some nice high frequencies... I think however that my biggest problem was in my gear and monitoring department, I did not have a single piece of equipment that would make my mix competitive enough to win this race...

I did not win this race, simply because of too many bad decisions and not good enough gear...

I learned a lot...!

I might do a second try, just to see if I'm able to correct my mistakes efficiently enough to win this race...
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Here's my few minutes night session.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Attached Files

Gearslut_fun.mp3 (1.14 MB, 329 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Well, I had fun and definitely wish you had more b/w so we could work on the whole tune! Thanks, SimonV
Attached Files

30SecMas 5_16_06.mp3 (1.38 MB, 537 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

When you wrote your message, click attachaments, then browse for the file, and when you have it, click upload, when this is finished, there you go, you uploaded the file.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks a lot for this, great idea, maybe we could do this some more....in different styles of music.
I have to say, I really like Mr green's mix
Attached Files

the G mixx.mp3 (934.0 KB, 690 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Here comes my second mix, a try to fix some of the problems with my first mix. My first mix had an unrealistic stereo image. With this mix my focus was different and it ended up as a completely different mix. It is more tender and more peaceful, which hopefully results in a more pleasant listening experience.

BTW, I also like Mr Green's mix...
Attached Files

Web Mix - Peaceful.mp3 (889.7 KB, 557 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Simon,

Would you mind posting the vocal as well, s'il vous plait?

If it's in French, that's all the better! More fun.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20
Simon,

Would you mind posting the vocal as well, s'il vous plait?

If it's in French, that's all the better! More fun.

Tell you what.. I work until 2pm tomorrow.
When I get here, I'll work either on a vocal track or maybe post another song I'm working on.

If I could solve the bandwidth issue, I'd send a whole 300 meg song.. (Up to now, the 48mb file was downloaded 250 times.. which almost took all of my monthly bandwidth) Maybe I'll post a song with all tracks as MP3..

I'll keep you posted!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

What a blast! I haven't mixed at home in literally years... I've grown so accustomed to my Sony and GML and other $$$ plugs on PT at work, that I've forgotten what's it's like to blast along on Sonar with some free VST's...

So here's my take with all freebies: Blockfish, Endorphin, Ambience and Nyquist EQ

Ok, so I used a little Waves RBass on the cajon, but I didn't need to... I was getting lazy, honest! And upon listening at work, I overdid it on the cajon low end anyway. The point is, there are some great freakin' tools for free out there, and they're a lot of fun too! I love twisting the soundscape with NyquistEQ with no point of reference to frequency or dB... just your ears...

BTW, anybody feel the need to shift a few phrases here and there? Nothing clinical... more global nudges. Not to knock the playing, it's really stellar. Reminds me of my favorite Plaid track, Ralome... check it out... killer vibe (the preview will fade out, but keep clicking it and you can hear the whole song).

My personal faves:
Rossi, your take was truly in-your-face! Perhaps a bit over the top but I dig it! It's really gutsy... what comps did you use?

Cornvalley, yours was nice, too.

I agree Mr. Green's has quite the pro touch.

Hehe, the 44.1k one is perfect comic relief

What a great contribution to GS... nice thread!
Attached Files

ImprovGSMix.mp3 (1.08 MB, 328 views)

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Here's mine

Hope you don't mind me cutting a bit...

Stefan

PS. Mixed with Senn HD600, in case your speakers throw up... I have no clue how they translate.
Attached Files

GS.mp3 (1.63 MB, 294 views)

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

why do threads die right after I post on them?

[sniffs armpits] hmmm... something I said?
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict

Better late than never.
Attached Files

eyesore 3D 2.mp3 (875.8 KB, 554 views)

Old 21st May 2006
ehk
Here for the gear

Here's one...with more time I'd lock thing better,
but you get the idea.
Attached Files

eddiekGSMIX_04.mp3 (1,023.3 KB, 521 views)

Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

You forgot to auto wah the guitbox.
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
If I could solve the bandwidth issue, I'd send a whole 300 meg song.. (Up to now, the 48mb file was downloaded 250 times.. which almost took all of my monthly bandwidth) Maybe I'll post a song with all tracks as MP3.
Simon, check your PM...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search