The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ensoniq EPS
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Ensoniq EPS

Hello Guys,

i bought an EPS and im struggeling by searching the web for a manual. If someone from you knows a site where i can share knowledge with other and where i can download a manual, its much appreciated.

cheers

Tarkan

Edit: Another question is, the EPS has only a mono input but my Turntable has a Stereo Output, which is connected to a yamaha mixer, which goes to my rme multiface 2 how to i connect the stereo ouput of me rme to the eps without loosing one chanel cause the outputs are stereo (2 channels)?
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Addict

Try Chickensystems or Syntaur first.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thank You Guys!

Thank you now i have everything i need.

I have a technical question, to the owners of an eps. How do i connect the sampler to my mixer, my setup is like this: mulitface2 connected to yamaha mixer with analog out and in, turntabe is connected to yamaha mixer, all devices i have are stereo (2 mono Line) but the ensoniq EPS has only 1 mono sampling input. I searched for an y cable with 2 mono plugs to 1 mono plug. but could not find anything in google, i called thomann.de a great seller for gear here in germany and the guy was not able to find the right cable for me. Is the right way to mix the 2 line inputs of the multiface via totalmix to 1 ouput and connect this output to the mono input of the eps? Hope some1 can share his knowledge with me.

cheers.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

bump

bump hope that some1 can clear this for me.

tarkan
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

no one?
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Guru

I haven't fired up my EPS in a while.

I definitely recommend the memory expansion card.

For output, I just kept the mono out connected to my board.

To liven up the sound, run the out into your favorite guitar amp and mic it.

They sound amazing through an 8X10 cab with Grand Piano and Ectasy
blended together.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

thank you for your response.

how should i sample. my mixer and my soundcard has only stereo outputs. Should i pan the chanel hard left or hard right and sample then the output into the eps to geht the full signal auf the source into the eps?
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Guru

Unfortunately, I never made much use of the sampler, but spent many many
hours laying out sequences, but that was back in the early 90's

I think the mono out and headphone jacks will work stereo if you run separate
cables or you might try conneting midi. I never really grasp midi, so
a friend helped me when it was time to sync with my recorder.

I used my EPS in this clip for drums, Melotron (ish) Piano & strings.

It takes a lot of trial and error, but these old machines were quite capable
of some amazing results.

Saved from my last deteriorating cassette copy.

Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

i found a way i pan my sample source hard right in the mixer and sample only the right chanel so i got what i need.

nice song. but you can hear that the cassette quality is not average.

i tried to sample today and the eps has really a crunchy and dirty sound. i like playing with my new toy. only problem is the short sample time. the unit has no expander, and is hard to find here in germany...
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchenderxxx View Post
i tried to sample today and the eps has really a crunchy and dirty sound. i like playing with my new toy. only problem is the short sample time. the unit has no expander, and is hard to find here in germany...
Crunchy and dirty? I used the EPS 16 rack mount models and they sounded pretty good. It is VERY dependent on the sample rate tho.

Be sure you're not overloading the input.

Best of luck with it.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

thank you.

It sounds dirty, the eps classic is 13 bit sampler... maybe this is the difference...

but im new to hardware sampling so i cant compare this to other hardware samplers. Used Kontakt and other softsampler but this one sound definately different. Sampled from vinyl and i like the sound of this beauty.

Only problem is the standard ram size. Need the 4x Expander.

Other feature im missing is the function to play a sound across the keyboard without making it faster like in kontakt the timemachine algorithm.

Is this different with akai sampler? or newer hardware samplers?
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Guru

Without the 2X or 4X memory expansion module, the EPS can be limiting.

I did everything on Katie B with a 2X expander.

Very hard, if not impossible to stack instruments without the extra memory.
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

hello guys,

i have trouble sample chopping on my EPS. so i tell you the procedure:
1. sample something
2. assign a keyrange (say c4)
3. command, wave
4. copy wavesample
5. copy parameters only (to save memory)
6. eps says wavesample copied
7. set keyrange to new sample (say c4#)

know i can set different sample start and endpoints so i chop up a sample. sometimes this works fine for 2-4 wavesamples and then the eps plays only 1 wavesample or no wavesample at all. Anyone an idea if the eps is faulty or is it a memory problem? (what should not be, cause i only have 1 sample in memory, cause i used the copy parameters only option) or i´m doing something wrong?

please help me out.

thanks tarkan
Old 1st March 2012
Here for the gear

info here forum updated 2012

Ensoniq EPS | Comments Page #10 | Vintage Synth Explorer

The links to manuals are here,

https://sites.google.com/site/ensoniqepsguide/
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you all for your help!
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

FYI - if you guys ever have any problem with ensoniq gear - this guy is the one to talk to.

Home

The website ain't much, but he worked at ensoniq for many years as a tech. When creative/emu nuked ensoniq last decade they transferred the repair stock to him.

He also builds and sells frankenstein units created from different dead units.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post
FYI - if you guys ever have any problem with ensoniq gear - this guy is the one to talk to.

Home

The website ain't much, but he worked at ensoniq for many years as a tech. When creative/emu nuked ensoniq last decade they transferred the repair stock to him.

ps - looks like he has a couple full EPS with max ram and 8 output expanders, also the ram and expander kits.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

My current EPS is a replacement for the original I owned.

Found it used and spotless clean for $250.00 with about 50 sound discs.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post

Home

I have already tried to get in touch with him, but he didn´t answered my email.... i think he is not longer in business. But thank you anyway.

FFT, this is a good price. I bought mine for 120 euro but with standard ram.... but if you chop your samples in the pc first and then sample it to the eps and if you use the copy wavesample parameters only you can save enough ram to work with the eps.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru

At this point, I'll use the editing tools and sequencer in Logic Pro
and just use the EPS for an analog synth for certain EPS sounds.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

the eps is great for sampling, the samples have a nice touch to it. but editing the samples is much faster with tools like recycle and wavelab and you can also sample the sounds in mono in wavelab so you have the right sample cause eps is only sampling in mono. i have not enough time to play with the eps, cause im learning for mcitp certificate. but the short time i played with it was fun and the samples have a really nice touch to them. i made a beat from an turkish rock song and the sound was really old school and dirty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search