The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decent console or a really nice pre?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Decent console or a really nice pre?

Gearing up to do a recording of my band, in the broad "rock" style. I'm just tracking, probably use a professional for mixing. I'm on a pretty low budget, so I want to make the most broad improvements I can. I've got a Digi002R, a Digimax LT and a dbx376.

I've got access to a trident S40 and a better AD converter, as well as mics that I'm reasonably happy with. I'm thinking that an improvement in the preamp department is going to help the most, so my decision is between:

- semi-decent console, like an Allen & Heath, Soundcraft or possibly the Trident s100
- a budget preamp (RNP, e.g.) and a higher-end pre (e.g. GR MP-1NV)

I'd like to keep the entire purchase below 2 or 3K. I plan to use 10-12 tracks for drums, which is why I'm considering a console. Will console pres of the above-named brands be significantly better than those in the Digimax LT?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search