The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Polarity problems
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Polarity problems

I know some about polarity problems but constantly find myself not pressing those phase invert buttons on the mixing console when I probably should. If I've understood it correctly those phase invert buttons should be used together with the pan knobs to create a better stereo image and reduce some problems and that I can notice polarity problems when I'm checking mono compatibility. Lately I noticed that the L3 limiter sometimes adds a short delay on the signal, so I seem to be getting polarity problems from that when I add it on tracks. Then I started thinking about what happens if I record with the wrong frame rate (I use 60 fps) or if the buffer size determines how much in sync I get those tracks recorded or if other effects add small delays as well. One thing is for sure though, my PAZ analyzer registers anti-phase peaks very easily when I pan some instrument hard L or hard R, even though I use mono sources (only keyboard sources). To sum it up, I'm confused. Is the Yamaha Tyros keyboard sampled in the wrong way? I usually record pseudo stereo sources in mono (the L channel) with the DSP engine disabled. How should I target all this?!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo
As long as you not have recorded a source with more then one mic, there is no reason to flip the phase.

Of course it will, it's only natural.

/Cojo
Thanks Cojo! I don't know how many mics were used when the Yamaha Tyros sounds were sampled, but I assume that it's one on the pseudo stereo samples and two on the stereo samples, alternatively several to create the velocity layers. My reference CD song has some anti phase spikes as well, but much less...

I'll keep that in mind...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ok RainbowCrazyMan - you're scaring me now. I have never been more convinced that you are the reincarnation of Walters ...

This is classic Walters trollspeak ... anyone with an ounce of technical knowledge will be pissing themselves laughing ...

"that I can notice polarity problems when I'm checking mono compatibility"

"what happens if I record with the wrong frame rate (I use 60 fps) "

"One thing is for sure though, my PAZ analyzer registers anti-phase peaks very easily when I pan some instrument hard L or hard R, even though I use mono sources"

"Is the Yamaha Tyros keyboard sampled in the wrong way?"

Why yes - TonyCrazyStorm, Korg sampled it the wrong way. Won't they be embarassed when they read this?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Ok RainbowCrazyMan - you're scaring me now. I have never been more convinced that you are the reincarnation of Walters ...

This is classic Walters trollspeak ... anyone with an ounce of technical knowledge will be pissing themselves laughing ...

"that I can notice polarity problems when I'm checking mono compatibility"

"what happens if I record with the wrong frame rate (I use 60 fps) "

"One thing is for sure though, my PAZ analyzer registers anti-phase peaks very easily when I pan some instrument hard L or hard R, even though I use mono sources"

"Is the Yamaha Tyros keyboard sampled in the wrong way?"

Why yes - TonyCrazyStorm, Korg sampled it the wrong way. Won't they be embarassed when they read this?
You must have some kind of serious problem with yourself, because this is just such a bull**** comment and is very much against the rules of this board... You treat others with low respect, because on SOME level that works for you. Maybe you hope I will reveil what your problem is. Your problem is that you have got a misconception between love and reward. A polarity problem! When you have showed love towards others you have for some reason not been rewarded for this. It tells me you are not or haven't been in a loving environment, because when you show the opposite to love you get a reward on some kind of level. Find out what the rewards are, then take control over these rewards to get control over your life.

Last edited by RainbowStorm; 12th May 2006 at 12:10 PM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Phase inversion isn't a good way to fix latency problems. In particular, it doesn't fix them.

-synthoid
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo
As long as you not have recorded a source with more then one mic, there is no reason to flip the phase.
Are you sure?

Have you ever tried this and listened?

I'd agree that relative phase matters more, but absolute phase is audible.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
Are you sure?
No...

Quote:
Have you ever tried this and listened?
Yes...

Quote:
I'd agree that relative phase matters more, but absolute phase is audible.
If it sounds right, it is right. I said there was no reason, not an absolute no no!

/Cojo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search