The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying Converters - Help
Old 11th May 2006
Buying Converters - Help

Hi all,

I’m about to set up shop, and have budgeted 3k for converters (this will be a Nuendo 3/PC system). I’ve been racking my brain for months on how to stretch this to be most useful. Most of my work will be overdubs rather than full band situations, so I’m thinking I’d like to get a stereo pair of really nice converters, and a set of 16 halfway decent (ie not MOTU) converters.

While I’m thoroughly familiar with the sound of Apogee, RME and Cranesong, I’m just now weaning myself off of Pro-Tools, and don’t have a ton of experience with all the latest stuff.

Specifics would be: at least a total of 16 analog i/o, I imagine I’ll be going into the computer optical, and I don’t have a budget for $600 of breakout cables (ie Lynx Aurora 16 is out of the question unless someone can get me a steal of a deal).

I know 3k isn’t much for this sort of thing, but I’d like to get some input from fellow slutz.

Thanks so much everyone!

ps: would I be better off to go MOR on all converters, and get a great clock?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dog
Hi all,

I’m about to set up shop, and have budgeted 3k for converters (this will be a Nuendo 3/PC system). I’ve been racking my brain for months on how to stretch this to be most useful. Most of my work will be overdubs rather than full band situations, so I’m thinking I’d like to get a stereo pair of really nice converters, and a set of 16 halfway decent (ie not MOTU) converters.

While I’m thoroughly familiar with the sound of Apogee, RME and Cranesong, I’m just now weaning myself off of Pro-Tools, and don’t have a ton of experience with all the latest stuff.

Specifics would be: at least a total of 16 analog i/o, I imagine I’ll be going into the computer optical, and I don’t have a budget for $600 of breakout cables (ie Lynx Aurora 16 is out of the question unless someone can get me a steal of a deal).

I know 3k isn’t much for this sort of thing, but I’d like to get some input from fellow slutz.

Thanks so much everyone!

ps: would I be better off to go MOR on all converters, and get a great clock?
I would not recommend any additional clock, since that's only necessary in large digital setups probably far beoynd your budget. So completely forget about an additional clock unless you are going for a very large digital setup having a lot of digital gear in sync. You are asking for quite a lot of channels for the price, I'm not sure there are so many other alternatives than two RME Fireface 800s in sync and I would really recommend you to think twice about that before going that route, you will get a rather flat/unmusical sound for the money I would think, so the question is really if it's worth it. But you could for instance buy two RME Fireface 800 and one Apogee Rosetta 200, at least you would get pretty much for the money in that way. I personally would choose a Rosetta 800 instead and skip 8 channels...

Last edited by RainbowStorm; 11th May 2006 at 05:52 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Thanks,

I was originally looking at 2 fireface-800’s, but I read all the lit. on them, and using more than one will severely effect your computer’s performance. I’d rather go with a hardware interface (PCI card, etc) that will be nice and solid and stable.

If I raised the ante to 4k, would that make a difference?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove Dog
Thanks,

I was originally looking at 2 fireface-800’s, but I read all the lit. on them, and using more than one will severely effect your computer’s performance. I’d rather go with a hardware interface (PCI card, etc) that will be nice and solid and stable.

If I raised the ante to 4k, would that make a difference?
Well, then we are talking about the 6 ch A/D, 2 ch D/A Atlas Price: $4250.00 , The Lavry Blue! (especially if you mix ITB)

So I think you need to focus on quality rather than quantity when you buy in this price range. If you buy a total of 18 channels for 4 grand I think you will sell it within a few years if you are a Gearslut. The reality is that you get the quality you get from 1 channel, in this case worth 4000/18 = 220$, that's in the price range of a Behringer V-Amp... So you get 18 Behringer V-amps for that price, just imagine the amount of mud it will result in...

Last edited by RainbowStorm; 11th May 2006 at 06:22 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search