The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The best recording book of all time
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

The best recording book of all time

I have read some old books about the whole recording process from the beginning to the end (tracking -> mastering). Currently I am studying for a certification exam in Software Engineering (MCPD distributed applications, .NET 2005) and I am reading this really well written reference book (written in 2006) that also has a real-world approach on the subjects in the book. It's really thick and the information has been revised by many professionals. I would love to read a recording book with the same amount of value, which really has a real-world approach and try to reveil the secrets behind doing successul recordings and where the writer understands what the reader wants to read about and get knowledge in and what he himself writes about, so that it would work as a reference book as well with really high quality and modern content. The last book I read was "A Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski, which I thought was good and interesting but didn't contain any information about psychoacoustic sound effects that are very important for a good sound and image, how to enhance musical vibe in a mix, the sound quality difference between hardware and software, how to mix for loudness/clearity, how to deal with gear choice, examples of what bad monitoring results in, thoughts about the current trend and what it might look like in the future etc. The approach of interviewing people was great, if they would have said the same thing... heh But then when different professionals say different things or the same thing in different ways it gets frustrating to read.

So, have you read any book that you think I might like, where the writer is like a monster on the subject? If it sounds good, I'll buy it... heh
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Bob Katz: Mastering Audio, The Art & The Science

It's all in there...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyloxy

It's all in there...
Thanks, can anybody beat foxyloxy's advice? I have read Bob Katz's short marketing e-booklet and it was very interesting to read, though very mastering oriented...

It would be nice if the book is not very narrow in subject, but rather goes deeply into the things that are most important to make a good sounding recording.

Have you done any Recording Book Toplist?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear
total recording by david moulton
rellay thick book with everything in there, lots about psychoacoustics and how we hear and stuff...worth the money!

http://www.moultonlabs.com/index.php/full/product03

and very insteressting is this one:

mixing with your mind
rather thin, but with interessting ideas and concepts
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
Old 11th May 2006
Motown legend

There are twenty different ways to do anything. The challenge is picking the right one for the situation before the performers go past their best performance.

The only way to learn this I know of is by interning.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bob Katz: Mastering Audio
others which are enjoyable and good
Bobby Owinksy: Mixing engineer's handbook
Recording engineer's handbook
Mastering engineer's handbook
etc.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Lots of superlatives around here lately.

Best book of all time, worst popular single, best record ever made...

How about the George Martin book?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy
total recording by david moulton
rellay thick book with everything in there, lots about psychoacoustics and how we hear and stuff...worth the money!

http://www.moultonlabs.com/index.php/full/product03

and very insteressting is this one:

mixing with your mind
rather thin, but with interessting ideas and concepts
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
Thanks tenderboy! Great advice! Currently I am sitting here with a cup of coffee reading the following really well written article:

http://www.moultonlabs.com/index.php...igital_anyway/
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

anything by John Eargle.

The Mic Book
Sound Recording
The handbook of recording engineering
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your great advice! It seems like Total Recording is what I'm looking for. It contains audio examples and the writer seems to know a lot of stuff, it is not too old (2000) and it is expensive! Well, the last thing was maybe not too good, 100 $?! But maybe I'll get what I pay for, or maybe not...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

While not that kind of recording book, "The Daily Adventures of Mixerman" should be on everyone's list.

http://www.mixerman.net/

The already mentioned "Mixing With Your Mind" by Michael Stavrou is a good one in that it has a lot of ideas that are outside the box so to speak.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/index.htm
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

It's a little out of date but the John Woram book (I believe it's called Sound Recording) has excellent detailed coverage of the fundamentals.
I would second "Mastering Audio" and anything by John Eargle. Excellent stuff.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How about the George Martin book?
Martin's "All You Need Is Ears" is great. That, along with Fletcher's "Reader's Guide To Vintage Gear", made me throw everything away and start over. Should send the authors a bottle of Mums.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyloxy

It's all in there...
you're joking, right?

They're old, but unless you want digital theory I can't think of any reason not to own any of these:

1-- Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine [hard to find, but worth it if you want to dive deep]

2-- The Sound Recording Handbook -- John Woram

3-- The Microphone Handbook -- by John Eargle

They are all business and there is no bully-pulpit nonsense or opinion-as-fact writing like some of the more recent books can be.

JP
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, I get so many good advice from you! Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
you're joking, right?

They're old, but unless you want digital theory I can't think of any reason not to own any of these:

1-- Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine [hard to find, but worth it if you want to dive deep]

They are all business and there is no bully-pulpit nonsense or opinion-as-fact writing like some of the more recent books can be.

JP
Old 12th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

I personally got a heck of a lot from Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter.

it's an old book and it's not really about recording (though one section is definitely about playback), but it changed the way I think. And therefore changed the way I think about recording...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like "Mastering Audio," opinion-heavy as it may be. : )
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
you're joking, right?

JP
My 'top 3' exactly...
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
you're joking, right?

JP
This really is more of an electronics book but if you want to know about the insides of vintage gear there is a lot of information here, much of it probably difficult to find anywhere else. Lots of stuff on acoustics and microphones too.
I got a copy in the early seventies and its still with me!

Another great book is "Stereo Microphone Techniques" by Bartlett.

If you want to dive into digital "The Art of Digital Audio" by John Watkinson is
excellent. Ditto for "Digital Audio" by Ken Pohlmann.

The older versions of "Modern Recording" by Runstein are pretty good too.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really liked "Recording Tips for Engineers" by Tim Crich.

The book has a humorous tone and lots of good problem-solving info.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
I personally got a heck of a lot from Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter.

it's an old book and it's not really about recording (though one section is definitely about playback), but it changed the way I think. And therefore changed the way I think about recording...

best book of all time

"Lots of superlatives around here lately."
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I really liked, "Behind the Glass".

Good read.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search