The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Resale Value of API 225
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Resale Value of API 225

First of all, I'm trying to only buy gear that will hold it's value later on. thumbsup

I'm so so close to buying a pair of API 225 compressors in the four channel rack/power supply. But I'm wondering if I should just get a 500 series rack and get some 525 comps instead because they'll hold their value more.

I know the 525's are twice as much, (and sound different) but if they'll hold their value it might be worth it. Am I on any kind of a right track with this? Or do the 225's hold their value too?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, if you decide to sell the modules, let me know. I will take them!!!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

What are you planning on using the 525's for? I love 'em to death, but they're not the worlds most versatile compressor. They're great on vocals and acoustic guitars, and sometimes acoustic bass.

My limited experience with the 225 says I like them better than 525's. Who cares about resale. Why would you ever sell API gear?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I just don't ever want to be stuck with worthless gear. I'd be using the API comps as gtr or vox buss work.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you check 'completed items' on Ebay, you'll see that modern API gear re-sells for about 90% of street price.

I wonder how that effects their sales when there's a lot of second-hand stuff out there.

I wonder if that could have had anything to do with the recent price drop.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I wonder if that could have had anything to do with the recent price drop.
price drop across the line? or just select products?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion
price drop across the line? or just select products?

At Mercenary at least.
Old 12th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
First of all, I'm trying to only buy gear that will hold it's value later on. thumbsup

Am I on any kind of a right track with this?
I don't think so - I buy gear that will either let me get my work done faster or better. If it does neither, I won't buy it, no matter WHAT the resale value might be.

You want to invest, buy land. You wanna make records, buy gear that lets you make the records you want to make.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
I don't think so - I buy gear that will either let me get my work done faster or better. If it does neither, I won't buy it, no matter WHAT the resale value might be.

You want to invest, buy land. You wanna make records, buy gear that lets you make the records you want to make.

I want both heh And I think you can have both.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm so so close to buying a pair of API 225 compressors in the four channel rack/power supply. But I'm wondering if I should just get a 500 series rack and get some 525 comps instead because they'll hold their value more.

I know the 525's are twice as much, (and sound different) but if they'll hold their value it might be worth it. Am I on any kind of a right track with this? Or do the 225's hold their value too?

Thanks in advance!
I say think about how much they'll make you.
If you think the more expensive APIs will get you more per hour, then go for them.
If not, then go for the cheaper ones.
You should be able to make your money back on any good API gear.
Its really hard to determine the resale value of gear in the next few years.
API is one name that should hold its value, but you never know whats coming around the digital corner.
Good luck with your gear!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 225's are very different than the 525's... the earlier 225 models, which Paul said he made only 50 or so and have two turquise knobs, one red knob and switches labelled 1 and 2 like the 525's, are close to 525's, but a little gnarlier... later model 225's are IMO too smooth to be compared to 525's... Not good for the stereo buss, but great for guitars, bass and vocals. The early 225's are great for crushing things...

Ryan Hewitt
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

And to add to what Ryan said above, the 525 is also not the best 2-bus comp, IMO.

Great piece and all, but not a great 2-bus comp. I don't use 'em on drumkits either, although I know there are a couple of guys here who do.
Old 12th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I want both heh And I think you can have both.
Priced used SSL's recently? Or really, ANY console? What about Pro Tools Mix systems? Or any other digital gear from the 1990's....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Priced used SSL's recently? Or really, ANY console? What about Pro Tools Mix systems? Or any other digital gear from the 1990's....

SURELY there is good sounding, easy to use, valuable gear that will have a better chance of holding it's value more than others.

And yes, we could sit here all day and come up with gear that has not held it's value, but that wasn't the reason for starting this post.

So I appreciate your feedback, but I don't have tons of cash to spend on things that I would be able to sell later if need be. heh

I simply wanted to know if any of you have had any experience with 225 resale values. I don't see a lot of talk about the 225's. And especially the small 200 size frames. And if the 525's can do a similar job for what I need but has better resale value, then I would get the 525's.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

As someone who has been looking for a bargain on a used 225L for some time now, I would have to say that they hold their value very well. I have given up on the idea of buying one used, because you save so little money (sometimes no money if the auction runs away) compared to the new ones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search