The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To fantom x and triton owners.
Old 11th May 2006
To fantom x and triton owners.

I write my music mostly software based and im very happy with it.
mostly pop rock but on the hard side.

I bought a fantom x becasue i thought i needed it and really i don't think i like the sounds very much kind of cold. But maby casue im used to the triton sounds. Becasue i use to have the rack long ago.

Anyway im leaving for a island for about month and i need to write music. and the roland would work. But i know sombody that is selling a triton studio for pretty cheap. What is funny to me the old xv 5080 roland sounds alot warmer to me like even more the triton and that was from mp3 samples.

need to know what you think before Sat that is when im leaving. My freind has a Motif es. I think the sounds are to clean for my music you know the flavor.

fantom or triton studio. Do youthink the triton sounds old by now. i know it is subjective. Maby im not use to it and that is why use to sound ware sound.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

my .02 worth

I think that the Fanton is the easiest workstation to operate that is currently in production. That being said, I think the Motif has better pianos and organs, but is a beast to operate, unless you are familiar with the Yamaha sequencers. The Motif has been called user hostile, while the Fantom is called user friendly. Most say that the Tritons are in the middle. Easier to operate than the Motif but better sounding than the Fantom. I figured out the Fantom sequnecer without a manual, but the Motif sequencer required alot of reading. I dont really think you could go wrong with either of these 3 workstations. It just depends on how much reading time for the manuals you have etc. This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I bought the Fantom for its ease of use over the Motif. I need to be able to throw something together kinda fast and without getting out a manual. Hope this helps.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I eneded up buying the Fantom XR for my application as it had a sampler and I thought some of the string sounds and pads were better sounding.

Overall though, I thought the Motif patches were much better. If the Motif rack mount would have had a sampler, I probably would have bought that instead.

Old 11th May 2006
i li

i liked the way the triton sounds but i really dont here albums using a fantom x.
i know it is very subjective. I know fantom is a newer engine and the triton well all over its sound has been placed. Don't know
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have all (3). You've already stated what you think about them, so what's your question?

What kind of sounds do you have in mind, because between the Triton and Fantom, you've got an enourmous palette of sounds. I personally think they compliment each other.

I use the Motif as the primary sound source. The sounds are excellent (same for the Triton and Fantom) The Motif has stronger pianos (elec and acoustic) and orchestral instrumnts IMHO.

The fantom excels with ambient sounds and organ

The Triton produces alot of really strong patches including lead lines etc.

This is just my opinion and probably will be of no value to you at all, but it's just my 2 cents. I wouldn't part with any of them. Keep in mind that each keyboard has literally hundreds of sounds programmed in that you'll never use or find a use for, so before you write off any one of them, take a deep breath, relax, turn off the phone and go through them thoroughly and catalog the sounds you do like. Only then can you determine which is best for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search