The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where is this 'healthy' Aussie scene.
Old 11th May 2006
Where is this 'healthy' Aussie scene.

Seriously, name it and I'll relocate there.
I know you guys are positive people and this is not to put down any of the great music going on here.....
But the music industry is in pretty chronic shape worldwide.
Kids these days are more into computers, gaming and in Oz, surfing big time.
The handicap Oz has is the small population and the distance between cities.
Most young musicians I talk to are thrilled with an east coast tour lasting a couple of weeks. Most people I know are playing pubs and RSL's. Someone mentioned bands playing to 'huge crowds'. Maybe during schoolies week.
How many dates will a band like The Living End play in Australia in a year?
The one vibrant professional scene I've come across is the neo Nashville thing in Tammworth, Coffs and Northern Rivers. That's not my bag unfortunately.
So I'm not complaining, just honestly asking somneone to point me to the location where the studios are buzzing with new signed bands, cos I haven't bought a house yet and I'll probably move there.

Last edited by chrisso; 11th May 2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Best weather, best babes (easily), cheapest housing: BrisVegas man!

As for the music scene: Couldn't really tell ya.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Brisbane/Gold Coast - Good rock/indie/metal bands.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains
Brisbane/Gold Coast - Good rock/indie/metal bands.
....with nowhere to play. I've lived on the Gold Coast all my life and it's dead here compared to the late eighties/ early nineties when you had band venues, as opposed to a bar with a little stage as an afterthought. You used to be able to be in an original band and play a differerent serious band venue every weekend without playing the same place for months. There was the Playroom, the Patch, the Jet Club, The Bombay Rock/ Generator, Club Pacific, Fishermans Warf (not the new, tiny fishos) Now there's just the Cooly hotel.... sad.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

There are plenty of bands here on the coast, but they tend to gig up in brissy.
There are also plenty of places to play at, heres just some of them:

Gold Coast:
Cooly Hotel, Southport RSL, Hardrock, Bryon Bay High school (over the border),
Chophouse, Beer Garden, Shark Bar.

Brisbane:
The Arena, Lions Den, Ent Centre, The Spot, Skinnys, The Zoo, The Rev
The Trivoli, QUT Guild Bar, Riverstage, The Basement, Cafe Bello, The Depot,
Verve Cafe, Waterloo Hotel.
Old 12th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Melbourne has a very full on live scene. Check it out if ya down this way, but bring a jumper.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led
Melbourne has a very full on live scene. Check it out if ya down this way, but bring a jumper.
The Corner Hotel! Love that venue
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Chrisso you sound like a University lecturer I once had... And a particular member of the Australian music council. Nothing short of negativity. That in itself won't get you anywhere. I don't spose you have had your hopes and dreams shattered just like them?

There is no music here in Australia... we play clapping sticks and rattle empty beer cans. Don't bother coming... there are already enough pesemists here too.

I had no idea the music scene equated to fame and fortune, top of the charts, a rocknroll lifestyle... Geeze Beethoven will be pissed when I tell him!

I don't spose you also spout outrageous claims like "RocknRoll is dead"? You might just be that former lecturer.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
I don't spose you have had your hopes and dreams shattered just like them?
You got that wrong.

Don't bother with the sarcasm either. I notice you didn't mention one Australian location with a 'happening scene'.
In fact, this thread was an honest request for some tip-offs on where things were MOST happening. Some people have already replied with ideas.
The things I said in my first post were reflections of what I've encountered since I got here. Every Aussie Pro I've talked to has been full of gloom and doom about the biz. Yeah, they always chime in with the caveat "but I wouldn't live anywhere else".
That's perfectly cool, but that's not what this thread was about.
FYI, I've been bigger than playing in pubs, RSL's, Working Mens Clubs for at least 20 years now. Just honestly wondering if there is anything else out there in Ozland. 'Cos if there is I'd like to move there.
I've checked out Melbourne, it's a great place....and lots of interesting live bands.
I had hoped for a spot with 1) interesting live music, 2) interesting studio scene and 3) property that wasn't more expensive than London and New York.
So leave off the old chip on the shoulder routine and cough up some facts.
Thank you.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso
You got that wrong.

Don't bother with the sarcasm either. I notice you didn't mention one Australian location with a 'happening scene'.
In fact, this thread was an honest request for some tip-offs on where things were MOST happening. Some people have already replied with ideas.
The things I said in my first post were reflections of what I've encountered since I got here. Every Aussie Pro I've talked to has been full of gloom and doom about the biz. Yeah, they always chime in with the caveat "but I wouldn't live anywhere else".
That's perfectly cool, but that's not what this thread was about.
FYI, I've been bigger than playing in pubs, RSL's, Working Mens Clubs for at least 20 years now. Just honestly wondering if there is anything else out there in Ozland. 'Cos if there is I'd like to move there.
I've checked out Melbourne, it's a great place....and lots of interesting live bands.
I had hoped for a spot with 1) interesting live music, 2) interesting studio scene and 3) property that wasn't more expensive than London and New York.
So leave off the old chip on the shoulder routine and cough up some facts.
Thank you.

The Oz music scene has seen a major decline in recent years , gone are the day's when a label would take someone and develop them . Now they work on sure fire things auditioning hopefuls on shows like Pop Idol etc , The mp3 generation has left the music scene worldwide scratching their collective heads as to 'what next', like in the proverbial words from 'The Day After Tommorrow' , the music scene worldwide is changing and it's changing violently , and i suspect we will have this 'negativity' from mixers and producers for sometime until things crystalize , for the time being independent labels are sprooting up like Mushrooms from producers sick with the status quo , they are getting on with it and producing artists they believe in in hopes of licensing them to a major , because the A&R dudes are afriad to take the punt and open the cheque book to young artists and bands .

This is the reality as i see it and have seen it evolve over the last 3-4 years .....i suspect this situation to be the same in the U.K. and U.S. as well where you see legendary studio's closing down because they find it hard to survive. I'm sure most of us requesting to have song mixed by an 'A' mixer in the U.S. have been told to just mix it on our home P.Tools system (or whatever you run) over the last few years , sending stuff to be mixed in the U.S. which was comon place a few years back is just not the practice is once was , not to mention budgets have dwindled in general .

If a Rock band want's to be noticed they have to fork out and get an EP cut and hope they sell enough for a major to notice them .

This comes at a time when i think Australia has the most talent at any stage of it's musical development .

This post is not meant as doom and gloom just more of a summary of where i think it stands at the moment .
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
The Oz music scene has seen a major decline in recent years .....i suspect this situation to be the same in the U.K. and U.S.
Yeah, I'm not saying there is any difference in the UK.
There are a lot of amazing musicians, record producers and studios all lying idle, waiting for the phone to ring.
Friends of mine (drummers in London) get asked if they are prepared to record for 100 pounds. We were laughing about it, because if they say yes, the next question is usually "oh, can you bring your vintage Gretsch kit and Black Beauty snare drum?", all of which cost far more than 100 pounds to rent. So the drummer is now free.
Anyway, I guess it's no different in Oz. I'm just seeing a lot of super positive comments on other threads in this forum.
So I was wondering where to go to pick up the positive vibes.

Quote:
This comes at a time when i think Australia has the most talent at any stage of it's musical development .
Well at least that's good to know.
I think Oz still suffers from a lot of talented people moving away (hoping to get noticed).
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I think that a major part of the problem is the musicians themselves. Not necessarily their musical skills - there's probably always been a similar ratio of good vs. bad musos - but their lack of understanding about the industry they are involved in.

A lot of musos around here still seem to be waiting for the major labels to sign them up. I've heard bands (good bands) saying things like "If we ever get big, I'll buy myself a house", etc. in regards to getting a deal with a major. These guys don't seem to have noticed the changes going on in the industry - like the big rise of the independant distributor for example.

So I thnk that the possible consequence of that thinking is that a lot of local bands just want to record demos (or cheap EPs), hoping that they'll get picked up as the "next big thing". Of course this creates a problem in that the budget doesn't really allow enough time to be put in to achieve the sonic excellence that we'd all like. Without being able to work on decently budgeted projects, it's hard for us engineers to put our "best foot forward". So I think it's up to us as engineers, if we want musicians spending money with us, then we have to give them a reason to part with their hard earned.

Like what? Well, I'd point to examples like Karnivool, who have independently put out a fabulous sounding album. They would have spent money to do it, but at the end of the day, who cares? Put your best foot forward at all times. People who hear that album don't know what it cost, but a lot of people have raved about the stunning sonics. That's what will matter in the end.

I was chasing a band a while ago because I liked their stuff, but when I finally manged to get in contact with them, they'd booked in at another studio. Fair enough. But then the drummer went on to tell me that "Oh, yeah, we've only booked 5 days. It's pretty expensive, it's like 35, 40 bucks an hour." Now how their engineer is supposed to get a classy product out in that time and for that rate, I don't know. Do these guys take their possible music "career" seriously? If they added up all the money the spent on their cars/clothes/grog, I bet a lot of them would find they could have doubled the budget for their release.

I also think we should aim to educate our clients as best we can, whether we're talking about what lawyers/distribitors/managers do, or about the ramifications of Beat Detective and sample replacement. This is what I try to do with my clients, and for the most part, I succeed.
Old 13th May 2006
Interesting.....and quite an entertaining read (as someone trying to figure out the Oz scene).
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso
Interesting.....and quite an entertaining read (as someone trying to figure out the Oz scene).
Hehe.

Bear in mind that it's only my perspective, I'm sure there are guys around with different experiences.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

The **** peaked in 2003, with many different, exciting & orginal bands all coming to the surface, but now it has slid into fashion hell & back into the 'cooler than thou' thing...
Blurgh..
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

QUOTE........."I think that a major part of the problem is the musicians themselves. Not necessarily their musical skills - there's probably always been a similar ratio of good vs. bad musos - but their lack of understanding about the industry they are involved in."

Hey Knightsy, how you doing mate? Anyways, that is an excellent point, the vast majority don't have a fooking clue. And that inludes a lot that come out of places like Lismore Uni with a music degree under their belt..........they can be quite good musicians but they certainly don't show signs of having learnt about the industry as a whole...........and if anyone attempts to point out that there may be other, even better ways of achieving some "meaningful" level of success, they are likely to be told to butt out...........It's all in the art man.

Too many "consumers" wouldn't know a quality song, musician, band, etc., if it bit them on the arse because they have gradually come to accept whatever the industry (both live and recorded product) shovels out to them and it has unfortunately become more about quantity rather than quality. Real quality isn't cool...........do you believe it?

Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Knightsy, how you doing mate?
G'day Histring! Just lurching from one debacle to the next as always mate! Yourself?

Quote:
It's all in the art man.
I actually posted a bit of a rant in Slipperman's thread at the MARSH that was related to this point... If even Miles Davis had other people contribute to his "art" in a musical (or commercial) sense, then who the hell are you, "Young Band X", to claim that you don't need outside help? Do you see the title "Producer" inside the liner notes of nearly every CD you've ever bought? What exactly do you think that guy does? Sit on the couch eating cream donuts?

Grow a brain, Band X. Or at least come back to me when you actually plan to spend some money.
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Head

I feel your pain

Chrisso,

mate, I feel your pain. I'm based in S.E. QLD at the moment and the whole industry seems to have gone into a bedroom industry again, with the invention of the 001,002 and Mbox, as well as the many Universities and colleges givig their students free range studio time, most of the bands i talk to would rather record it themselves at home, record it at uni, or are planning their next record overseas (i.e. Kiss chasey, Gyroscope, The Great, and the list goes on.....) so what we seem to be left with is the 10% of bands that value a decent (when compared to a 1st year uni student or home recording) that are actually willing to pay for studio time in a well set up studio (which usually leaves me paying myself an absolute pittence as the budget goes straight to the studios, and mastering), from what i've been experiencing the scene is alot healthier down south in Melbourne or Sydney, where people seem to be recording demos at home or at uni, then stepping up to a proper studio when it comes to recording releases. I realise this is most likely happening all over the world, but I'm thinking of making the move elsewhere in search of greener pastures (that may not even exist) so maybe a migration south is the key??

Axle
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search