The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Tool
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

New Tool

Seeing the 'new chili peppers' thread gave me the idea of talking about the new Tool album. I THOUGHT that I didn't see anything when I searched for a thread about the album.

I would rate it 3rd best out of the 5. Aenima was outstanding (complete package). Lateralus was decent. Great songs, pretty good production...just a little less lively than the prior.

10000 days disappointed me a bit. As a big prog fan, I was told that this was a step into a realm that the band has never gone. Yet, when I listened to the album, the song structures were similar to Lateralus. Sonically, it's the same old Tool. Somebody dubbed it '10000 d chords'.

Drums sound good. Actually, Each of the members sounds like they always do. Maynard has some cool, different vocal styles. Danny is Danny. Adam and Justin sound like they always do as well.

I would have liked to hear the band work with Bottrill again. Baressi did a good job but the mixes lack something. Haven't figured it out yet.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

having a signature sound is a good thing in my book, and the songs are very tdifferent, less song structure more soundscapish. Meshuggah clearly had an influence.

But then again, you don;t HAVE to like it
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

daryllh,

great band, no question.

i spent some time listening to their album on a pair of S3As.

Aenima kicked ass. rich, solid and warm.
Lateralus was brittle and harsh. it shocked me. i refuse to listen to the album on a pair of decent monitors again. i love it, but i will not listen to it critically again.

10,000 Days. personally for me is their best work yet. The more i listen to the album, the more i find buried in it. the mix has the richness and warmth of Aenima with an articulation that is similar to Lateralus, only better achieved.

i am enjoying the fact that appears to have been no concern for phase issues when it comes to the guitars. they are wide and delayed, and just about disappear when i hit the mono switch. it's like they made the conscious choice that their listeners have got stereo systems. end of story. and if you do have an old mono radio, well then you can hear the vox, bass and drums, and a touch of the guitars. but it still keeps rocking.

this album has got hits with hooks. and it has a few journeys on it as well. i listen to it beginning to end.

kudos to Joe and the band for doing this great work, in a time when modern music has become formulaic and bland.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

I've been listening to this album at least twice a day since it was released. My fav track has to be track 2 and the second to last one - Right In Two (sort of an anti-war track if I'm not mistaken...monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground etc.)

Love 10 000 Days to bits, but then again I'm still enjoying Aenima since I bought that album only a week before the new album was released - and it was the first time I'd ever heard Tool!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Been a fan since Opiate, loved em alot for awhile, took a few albums off....Aenima and lateralus...since rediscovered an ol' true rock friend ...was listening to Lateralus for a month in preperation for the new album. I am loving it!! I think the new album sounds effin' fantastic. Everything sounds so fargin' HUGE!! Drums, well.....need I say anything else except that contrary to a previous thread they don't sound quantized to me tutt
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ht=Tool+single

As for the warmth you were discussing, yup according to Joe it's the good ol' 2" tape that gives it that special, THUD!

I really can't stop listening to this album. Every time I try to put in something else such as new Pearl jam my cd player just spits it back out . Please no Pearl Jam flames...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Did anyone else notice the punch-in click on track 5? I think it's about 25 seconds in on the vocal. I'm amazed that with that much money and top-notch engineers involved, nobody noticed. tutt tutt tutt tutt
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Just listened.....and I don't think that it's a punch click, sounds more like compressed vocal siblances to me . I pretty sure that someone would have caught something like that but you never know. I did just notice the pre-echo on the vocal though..very cool .
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have the first few releases, and i really try to like them. Being a guest on some Rollins band stuff also made we want to like them....

I cannot get past the vocals. I know, lots of people think that Maynard is great but.... everytime I hear him for some reason I get the picture of Chris DeBurgh in my mind. tutt

The band always sounds good, but I just can't get past that blasted image......
Old 11th May 2006
dbm
Lives for gear

Having been a fan for a very long time now, every new Tool album has been quite a shock to me. The first time I listened to 10,000 Days I was, quite expectedly, disappointed. After about 10 listens and counting I am loving it more and more each day. I think 'Jambi'(track 2) is up there with anything they have ever done. In particular the "Shine on forever, shine on, benevolent son" part.

GOOD GOD. LOVE IT.

Im even starting to love Wings for Marie parts 1 and 2 which I thought were boring as hell. In the end though, I think I will still like Lateralus and Aenima a bit better. No disappointment though.

Production-wise everything sounds great and absolutely huge. The only thing that is bothering me is on certain songs, Maynard's vocals have an unbelievably sharp 'ssssss' sound to them that makes me cringe sometimes.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parsons
Did anyone else notice the punch-in click on track 5? I think it's about 25 seconds in on the vocal. I'm amazed that with that much money and top-notch engineers involved, nobody noticed. tutt tutt tutt tutt
Ever listen to a Dream Theater album? Or a Spock's Beard album? Obvious punches galore.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

To me the new album lacks song wise.
Sounds like some tracks that didn't make it to Lateralus + some extra recordings containing of old ideas (pre lateralus).
Lateralus was to me the top of their songwriteing! Every song was a story and the album was a roman of the best kind.
I think guitar and bass should do their home work and develop their skills like Danny and Maynard did!

Anyway I love the band and I realy enjoyed the last Perfect Circle album!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
Ever listen to a Dream Theater album? Or a Spock's Beard album? Obvious punches galore.
It's one thing if the punch is obvious becasue sometimes you can't get around that, but for god's sake lets learn how to write a crossfade.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'M JUST DIGGIN' THE COOL PACKAGING

and it's way better than that pj avacado thing.....
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love this album. I'd give my left nut to be able to get those drum sounds. Might even give my right one to get my bass tones that good.

I actually hear another vocalal pop around 29 seconds too. It happens.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Terrfic album. I love The Pot, fantastic song. I agree it sounds like old Tool, but had they changed enough for people to notice then you get the "they sold out" thing like Metallica. Man the Pot is an amazing song, Jambi too, and Right in Two, great songs.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstrat
I'M JUST DIGGIN' THE COOL PACKAGING

and it's way better than that pj avacado thing.....

Oh ya I agree completely, I mean avacado's . I just picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I know a bunch of old Tool fans who aren't exactly picking up on their recent progression simply because it's built on such subtleties. But I LOVE it! I don't care much for Tool's pre-Lateralus sound; it's just not my style. But I loved Lateralus, and I'm loving Tool's direction. Sure it's built on drop D powerchord-type stuff, but that's merely scraping the surface of their music. Attention to detail must be paid, or yes, it will probably sound like the same songs as before. But these new songs are a very large progression from Lateralus, in my opinion, in terms of rhythm and form, and in arrangement and vocal style (though to a less important degree, I think).

All of this said, I still need to give this album many more listens before it truly sinks in. There's just so much there...definitely the type of record that will unveil new musical detail with each listen, possibly for as many times as anyone ever cares to listen!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i just found out, maynard is in the wine business now....

this site kinda brings me back to my M.Y.S.T days.

http://caduceus.org/
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyourdaddy00
i just found out, maynard is in the wine business now....

this site kinda brings me back to my M.Y.S.T days.

http://caduceus.org/
I know that there was an article not long ago with Maynard talking about his wine business...basically, he said that he didn't have as much interest in Tool anymore and would much rather be doing the wine thing. Also, he said that he would feel guilty not doing Tool stuff because he would be letting the fans down. I personally dont like the new single (haven't heard the whole album) due to the fact that I got bored. It sounds like that their heads aren't in the right place to do an album and thus it might have suffered....who knows, i could be wrong.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79
Terrfic album. I love The Pot, fantastic song. I agree it sounds like old Tool, but had they changed enough for people to notice then you get the "they sold out" thing like Metallica. Man the Pot is an amazing song, Jambi too, and Right in Two, great songs.

My thoughts too... The Pot is the standout track for me.stike

I agree that some of the songwriting is questionable, but I feel that way a lot about most of their stuff, so, its cool. I have always preceived then as more about the vibe than "song" oriented anyway.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

I agree with almost everything Nutmeg said. Not enough songs for me. Although I disagree that Lateralus was a good songwriting record. I think the writing took a dive with Justin Chancelor replacing Paul D'Amour. D'Amour actually was around for the writing of a lot of the cool songs off Aenima like Stinkfist, 46+2 and Aenima. I think Chancelor and Adam Jones are in a rut but Maynard seems to really have approached his lyric and melody writing differently on 10,000 days and I think it's much improved. King Crimson irritates me in the same way recently with only a few solid song offerings and a bunch of instrumental ambience. I wish it would be more songs and less other. And thats coming from a big amient music fan. I own everything Eno and it's some of my favorite stuff. I just don't think Tool is very good at it. I'm also a huge APC fan.
Old 14th May 2006

I thought he was the Lady In Red...
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parsons
It's one thing if the punch is obvious becasue sometimes you can't get around that, but for god's sake lets learn how to write a crossfade.
I thought this album was tracked on analog? So...
Old 14th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

A friend bought it and I listened to it once with him. The mixes are really vocal down! Really surprisingly low. The playing sounded great, although the riffs to me seemed a bit un-original if I'm allowed to say that.

The packaging is incredible, as soon as I saw it I was thinking "man, cool stuff like this could help save the business of selling records". Lets face it, vinyl was a whole package (sometimes with posters inside, etc) and when CD first came out they had those big boxes for more attractive artwork...then Don Henley came along and launched a campaign against using paper packaging on them and...no more kind of half cool packages.

Plain plastic CD for you!

War
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Seconding Warren here, the packaging is indeed amazing, it's a cool object with very good music inside. I wonder if they have an Lp version available, that'd be even cooler!

Music wise, a bit disappointed at first, thought it was very Lateralus like, but with less songs and less guts, but I changed my mind the second time, it's less catchy than previous albums (perhaps "catchy" is a bit too much for Tool , more epic - 2X11min songs...not your average MTV track!- but some songs are really great, full of intense moments, dope riffs, etc...

Sound wise, it's close to the last album, but bigger, more bass heavy. They really have their sound, it's amazing how similar the guitars and bass sound on both albums, Joe Barresi did an amazing job at that (or is it coincidence?).
Maynard's voice is indeed very buried and sometimes a bit thin, compared to Lateralus, would be interesting to know why they went this direction. Ymmv.

To be listened to!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I will say this... Joe Barresi did an awesome job with the sounds for the record.

The one thing that I feel (after having listened to the album a handful of times) is that the "eerie interludes" are less interesting than on previous albums, and tends to make the album feel long, drawn out and at times boring. On Aenima, they were more captivating... but on 10,000 Days, they feel like throw-away's.

Having said that, I do enjoy the disc... and it has some really awesome moments. Danny's playing is absolutely amazing.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
droning single note riffs...I REALLY would have loved some chord changes and hooks!
Aside from any tunes I might have heard on the radio without knowing it was them, the only time I've listened to Tool was when I gave a friend's 16 year old son a copy of...um...well, it was either Lateralus or Aenima, I don't remember. We listened to the CD together. He seemed to dig it. I seemed to did it too, but conditionally: I kept thinking "wow, this is a really cool texture...now when are they going to modulate?"

If Vanna White had been nearby I would've offered to buy a chord change.
Old 17th May 2006
New TOOL?

I thought this thread was about Tony Snow.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
New TOOL?

I thought this thread was about Tony Snow.
no, that would be the thread-- 50 year old Tool.
Old 17th May 2006
He's only 50?

Eh... that's practically a teenager to some of us.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search