The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JLM - Aussie made Custom Pre's, EQ and more
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

JLM - Aussie made Custom Pre's, EQ and more

Hey there - my first thread start at Gearslutz heh

So all this talk about all things Aussie and how expensive high-end gear is over here got me kinda excited about this Brisbane based company JLM Audio.

'Bent Sound' made reference to their gear in a previous thread.

Would be great to hear peoples thoughts - in particular on their TG preamp, their 99v preamp and their PEQ1 eq.

www.jlmaudio.com

Thanks for the knowledge... Gearslutz has been an education over the past few months

Cheers - Rez
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Believe the hype!

Joe's gear is sonically awesome with great build quality. The thing a few people have mentioned to me is that a looks a little bland (I personally don't agree.).

The thing for me is Joe has reached the point where he and Matt can't physically design/build any more gear than they are currently doing which means delays in getting your new toys. I seriously hope they can take things to the next level because his gear deserves to be heard by a wider audience.

Then again, maybe I should shut up and keep the secret to those that know.

Also, let me state.... I don't sell JLM gear. If anything, Joe's in competition to us but the guy makes great gear and I'd be lying to punters if I told them otherwise.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Believe the hype!

The thing a few people have mentioned to me is that a looks a little bland (I personally don't agree.).
Yeah I'm trying to get over my care factor for flashing blue lights.

There don't seem to be any reviews other than user comments on the website and a few forums. I can't really travel to Brisbane just to hear for myself so it's hard to evaluate whether they'd be a good option for me.

Would love to hear how the TG and the 99v stack up against some of the modern day classics.

Cheers - Rez
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza

There don't seem to be any reviews other than user comments on the website and a few forums. I can't really travel to Brisbane just to hear for myself so it's hard to evaluate whether they'd be a good option for me.

Would love to hear how the TG and the 99v stack up against some of the modern day classics.

Cheers - Rez
Rumour has it that Jonathan B (Ripper) has the TG and 99 at his place.... hopefully he or Bent can chime in with an opinion.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper
Rumour has it that Jonathan B (Ripper) has the TG and 99 at his place.... hopefully he or Bent can chime in with an opinion.
That would be well wicked - especially as they have a bunch of other serious pre's for comparison.

Cheers
Old 11th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

And Joe gives great customer support - even if you're not a customer. He offered to hook me up with some hard to get components.
Old 11th May 2006

I hope Joe's reading this, because he deserves as much endorsement as he can get.

Led is on the money about JLM's customer support - I'm a total noob to DIY, but have caught the DIY bug. As a first project. I'm currently building a DI Box using JLM di kit.

I haven't quite got to the stage where I have lift off, but let me tell you - Joe's customer care is phenomenal. I hate bugging the manufacturer with dumb questions and chewing up their valuable time that they could be spending doing something more productive, especially when its a small outfit (I'm in small business myself, so I know just how much time=money).

I've asked two short questions, and Joe has come back DEMANDING more information so he can figure out my problems. "Send me photos so I can spot the problem", he requests. And yeah, he's managed to identify the problem for me.

That is serious customer care. And good marketing - it's now a lock that my next piece of DIY gear will have JLM stamped on it.

As for sound - can't comment yet as my box is not finished, but the build quality is top-notch. Everyone who has built one of their kits over at the DIY forum (Prodigy Professional) has raved about them. Good enough for me.

So yeah, I'm forming the JLM fan club. Anyone else in?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Anyone had a listen to the BAM1's? What are they like?
I've only heard them in a small boxy room with no treatment.
I'm looking at them and the PMC TBS2As'
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrovic

I'm a total noob to DIY, but have caught the DIY bug. As a first project. I'm currently building a DI Box using JLM di kit.

Joe's customer care is phenomenal.

I've asked two short questions, and Joe has come back DEMANDING more information so he can figure out my problems.

That is serious customer care. And good marketing - it's now a lock that my next piece of DIY gear will have JLM stamped on it.

So yeah, I'm forming the JLM fan club. Anyone else in?

Cheers,
Chris
That's great to hear. I'd like to look into building a 99v, but want to confirm that I won't be compromising sound quality.

It's nice to know that JLM would look after me with support during the building of the pre.

Keep us posted Chris,

Cheers - Rez
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains

I haven't heard them, but man they look sweet on the site:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Active%20Monitor%201.jpg

Man I gotta get off the JLM happy pills. It's just cool to find a company making fresh, quality gear here in Oz. Hope it lives up to what I've read so far.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

thumbs up, the Mp8 is awesome...

super headroom, super useabillity.

dont have 7 grand though....
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains
I heard them at http://www.jumpstartproductions.com.au/mastering.htm

Very good, in a mid-field position, in a great room.

when I have the space and the budget I'll be very seriously thinking about them.
Old 11th May 2006
Here for the gear

Another great aussie gear manufacturer is Frostwave.
http://www.frostwave.com/

The resonator is my favourite pedal (and I have some other nice stuff, like lovetone's etc).

Customer service was brilliant too. And no, I don't work for them!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosseudo
Another great aussie gear manufacturer is Frostwave.
http://www.frostwave.com/

The resonator is my favourite pedal (and I have some other nice stuff, like lovetone's etc).

Customer service was brilliant too. And no, I don't work for them!
That Resonator does look dope - thanks for the link!

It's an all anologue clone of the Korg MS20 filter section... Nice. That's one of my all time favorite synths. I run the legacy edition, but it could be cool to create my patches in the soft synth, and then use the 'Resonator' instead of the software MS20 filter.

Rez
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

No software come close to the resonator!

You're in for a good ride. It's dirty, and soooooooooooo analogue.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be well wicked - especially as they have a bunch of other serious pre's for comparison.

Cheers
well actually we do! we've put the JLM's up against Neve 1073's, V72's, Chandler MKII's, Chandler Germaniums, MCI 500's....

The JLM are in the same class as these other wonderful pres... with a build quality second to none.

It's really a question of what flavor suits you best.

The 99V/TG combo gives you a lot of ground:
very clean, open and with amazing transient response (99V) to warm, fat and with as much harmonic distortion asyou want to add (by pushing the input and pulling down the output of the TG).

Still there's something to be said for a matched stereo pair of a single pre type for XY, A/B, etc.

classical or clean pop using stereo often: 99V pair
rock, soul, blues, etc. using stereo often: TG1
not using stereo often but want ultra clean acoustics, the occasionally pop vocal AND
rocking guitars and retro vibe: 99V/TG combo

Nothing wrong w/ his Neve-type pres... i just like these others better.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

oops... i said TG1! just meant TG pre.
gets confusin, donnit?
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi peoples,

Im Matt, the guy that works for Joe.

Firstly thanks for all the praise and kind words. Were still a small company because Joe is more interested in coming up with genuinely new and clever designs than churning out one product and becoming the next latest greatest thing in audio.

If anyone wants to try some gear, email Joe and ask him. We can usually accomodate if we have it in stock.

And if you want any more specific info about our gear just ask.

Thanks again for the love!

M
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

We do those too sometimes. In other words, when Joe isnt looking ill put blue leds on everything heh
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogus
We do those too sometimes. In other words, when Joe isnt looking ill put blue leds on everything heh

you gotta make all your gear look sexy
Old 14th May 2006
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I got a power supply off Joe for some preamps I was racking up. The service was great! And that was for an item that cost about $60....
Old 20th May 2006

Quote:
That's great to hear. I'd like to look into building a 99v, but want to confirm that I won't be compromising sound quality.

It's nice to know that JLM would look after me with support during the building of the pre.

Keep us posted Chris,

Cheers - Rez
I just received and built my second DI, and mostly finished the first one at the same time. As I had demolished the opamp in the first one, Joe sent me a new one for free heh heh heh

My mistake on the first DI was to put the opamp in backwards (hence the demolition). My mistake on the second one was to...put the opamp in backwards. tutt stike When will I ever learn??? Good thing Joe had sent me two, so I now have one fully operational DI, and one that needs a new opamp

How does it sound, feel, work, etc? Fantastic. Only a DI, mind you, so it doesn't do much (not intended to) but the best DI I've used. Nice strong clean signal out the other end - can't ask for much else. And the boards are pretty much indestructible (I tried!)

When I get the cash together, I'm gonna have a go at a couple of JLM's Baby Animals. They look too good to be true

Chris
Old 22nd September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
This looks very practical...

http://www.jlmaudio.com/TMP8.htm
has anyone here used this at all? im interested to hear some opinions.
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Looks interesting

I wish you guys where in Sydney, I'd like to check those kits out
Old 22nd February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
This looks very practical...

*TMP8 - 8 pack of transformer Mic Pres
I use Joes TMP8 a lot - on drums and just about everything really. It has a really sweet limiter built in that I hit stuff up against. (Well not everything but you know what I mean)
The other thing that is really quite nice is his SMC2 Stereo Bus Comp. (kinda SSL ish) love it on snare top & bottom.
Old 27th February 2008
Here for the gear

I've built one of Joe's Baby Animal Dual mic pres (dual 99V opamps and JLM14 input tranny, plus JLM DI) and it's thoroughly excellent. It gives absolutely silly amounts of clean gain on condensers, and I've even taken to running synths through it to get a bit of that transformer mojo happening. Plus the kits are dead simple to put together!

Here's mine in a slightly hacked-together enclosure:

Now where're those EQ and compressor kits?!
Old 27th February 2008
Here for the gear

JLM pre's

I have a TMP8 and a pair of TG's.
The TG's sound so good on guitars it almost makes me want to learn to play. A friend of mine is recording a cock rock album this week and he has a TG/Baby Animal rack and has borrowed mine for a full on sonic assault (I'll spare you the details!!!!).
The TMP8 is a wonderful set of pre's for drums, just as the previous poster has said, the soft limiters (they can be set up for different AD systems) just kick in and you get a beautiful saturation onto your preferred choice of recording hardware/software.

headman
Old 18th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCains View Post
Dave Neal masters on them and another mate of mine has a pair - Daves sound awesome and they translate very well - he swears by them.
My other mates don't sound great but I think it is the fact that his control room is so tiny. (Also he had a Mackie Big Knob running them - he is about to upgrade to an Avocet)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search