The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end gear most suitable for livesound
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

High end gear most suitable for livesound

Used DBX compressors, Drawmer compressors, other decent compressors, and then other junk that makes more hiss than signal, Yamaha, Rane etc.

I'm interested in what high end gear would be most useful in a live situation. I'm talking about stuff that's practical as well, like not dragging out a massive delicate 50's device.

For example, what would be a good insert EQ on the live sound LR bus? I don't ever use compression on the LR anymore. What's cheap but awesome LR insert EQ?

Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSound View Post
Used DBX compressors, Drawmer compressors, other decent compressors, and then other junk that makes more hiss than signal, Yamaha, Rane etc.

I'm interested in what high end gear would be most useful in a live situation. I'm talking about stuff that's practical as well, like not dragging out a massive delicate 50's device.

For example, what would be a good insert EQ on the live sound LR bus? I don't ever use compression on the LR anymore. What's cheap but awesome LR insert EQ?

Hey plus be gentle on the newbie..should I post it in the live sound?
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Maniac

Myself, I usually just use the EQ in Dolby Lake, and as far as plugins go (when using a Venue d-show), I often have a pultec strapped across the mixbus.
You said that you don't compress your L-R anymore, but I frequently use a Tube Tech SMC2b as my go-to mastercompressor (yes, for live use). Excellent for smoothing out the midrange and adding a little top end shine.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnus View Post
Myself, I usually just use the EQ in Dolby Lake, and as far plugins go (when using a Venue d-show), I often have a pultec strapped across the mixbus.
You said that you don't compress your L-R anymore, but I frequently use a Tube Tech SMC2b as my go-to mastercompressor (yes, for live use). Excellent for smoothing out the midrange and adding a little top end shine.
pultecin my dreams...

I was maybe thinking about one of those Joe Meek stereo eqs?
Old 21st February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSound View Post
pultecin my dreams...

I was maybe thinking about one of those Joe Meek stereo eqs?
or I've heard Orban is good.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Maniac

Well, in that case a DBX2231, BSS FCS966, Klark DN360 or any other decent, staple graphic eq does the job just fine (for me). I've heard good things about the Klark DN370, but I've never tried one out.
I never really use parametrics on the 2bus myself (subgroups are a different matter though), but to each his own!
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

I often see distressors, drawmer ds201 gates and sometimes even ssl xrack gear in liveracks, but it's almost always solid stated and small size (1 or max 2U in a rack/device). Effects are almost always Lexicon or TC, sometimes Bricasti M7 or an Eventide (8000 or eclipse) module, but those are rare. Big tube stuff is not solid enough to survive most live settings and the detail will be lost anyway (in almost any setting) due to the acoustics of the place, and the noise from the public and so.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search