The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beach Boys "The Making of Pet Sounds"
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Beach Boys "The Making of Pet Sounds"

This is an amazing cd set!!!! I am only 23 but believe that Brian Wilson was/is the most amazing pop music writer or at least music arranger ever!!!! But this cd set lets you into their sessions.... crazy how they recorded back then and how great it came out. You get to hear how the songs actually came together in the studio....

Any fans must get this and non-fans give it a shot as well!!! Hell I am a mixing engineer in the hip-hop world for now and I cant stop listening to this stuff.

Tracks like Wouldnt it be nice and God only knows.... some of the greatest songs ever!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Pet Sounds is a really amazing album - frankly I can't stand any other beach boys album, but this is an amazing piece of work.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hmm. And Orson Welles was only 26 when Citizen Kane was released.

Better get crackin', dude.
Old 11th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

God only knows - yes, I'm not into that sort of style, but it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Truly one of the greatest songs ever written. The chord structure is amazing.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
This is an amazing cd set!!!!
Are you talking about the 'Pet Sounds Sessions' box set?

'Pet Sounds' should really be done for the 'Classic Albums' DVD series!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

the box set has the entire album in a capella. really, really, really incredible.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon
the box set has the entire album in a capella. really, really, really incredible.
I go the 'Good Vibrations' box set and there's a 'bonus' CD with (among many other wonderful things) a vocals-only mix of 'California Girls'. It's great beyond description.

Last edited by doorknocker; 11th May 2006 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Simply a must-have!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Perhaps Mark Linnet who hangs around here could shed some light on the tracks. He is probably the most familiar with those tracks of anyone else still alive. Chuck Britz passed away a few years back and Mark has done all the stereo and 5.1 mixing of that record and also did the new "Smile"

Perhaps he could share a bit of that magic.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

my boss was their manager during that recording I believe.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister
Pet Sounds is a really amazing album - frankly I can't stand any other beach boys album, but this is an amazing piece of work.
I wonder if the Papa Salty CD is in rotation at Brians house?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley
I wonder if the Papa Salty CD is in rotation at Brians house?

Wow - did I offend you because I said I loved Pet Sounds?

sorry dude.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
Perhaps Mark Linnet who hangs around here could shed some light on the tracks. He is probably the most familiar with those tracks of anyone else still alive. Chuck Britz passed away a few years back and Mark has done all the stereo and 5.1 mixing of that record and also did the new "Smile"

Perhaps he could share a bit of that magic.
That would be great, if u know his nickname feel free to ask him to join this thread :-)
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmcallister
Wow - did I offend you because I said I loved Pet Sounds?

sorry dude.

Me too, just funnin' with you.
I was about 9 years old when the Beach Boys hit the airwaves. That whole 'Four Freshman' sound in a surf rock vibe was quite intoxicating back then. Dreamy as hell.
Started alot of us playing guitar, so.... you know....
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

Yes, great album.

But...

Does anyone know any secrets or things about the way this album was put together. That is the title of the thread, is it not?

Jon
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

And yes, I had to dig this out of the dark -- from 2006?
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

The making of Pet Sounds is extremely well documented. Do some googling for a whole bunch of good info, and pick up the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set, too. It comes with a book that describes some of the engineering.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchijin2 View Post
The making of Pet Sounds is extremely well documented. Do some googling for a whole bunch of good info, and pick up the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set, too. It comes with a book that describes some of the engineering.
ooh-la la. danke.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search