The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Like the BM5a - what will the BM6a do better?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Like the BM5a - what will the BM6a do better?

Just did a monitor shootout - although very flawed in the fact that it was at guitar center - and chose the bm5a over a host of others. Just sounded cleaner and more depth of field. Anyways, they didn't have the Bm6A - what does this have that the Bm5a doesn't? More bass? Better sound? Worth it to spend $600 more?

thanks
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

The Dyns are great monitors. I would actually trust your impressions despite the GC audition. I know both models well. The BM6As go down maybe an extra 10 Hz or so lower than the BM5As. They both image amazingly well. I own the 6's but use the 5's regularly. Either will do you well. You might also consider what your bass requirements are. If you need low frequency monitoring and do not mind subwoofers you might consider grabbing the 5s and potentially adding a sub later. I've seen the 5's go for as low as $800 a pair which is a real bargain. Adding a sub is only a bit more money than what the 6s run. The 6s, as much as I like them, definitely are not room shakers.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Never used a subwoofer - does it work for some music and not others? Is it more preferred to use two monitors that have the necessary bass response or a two-and-one monitor pair and sub?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier
Never used a subwoofer - does it work for some music and not others? Is it more preferred to use two monitors that have the necessary bass response or a two-and-one monitor pair and sub?
I don't want to answer that since it's all very subjective and there are so many factors with setting up the units, etc.. I'm sure others can and will pipe in on this one.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I feel that a sub is always needed for a true mix. I want to say for at least 90% of music. A sub has taken my mixes up 10 notches and you really know what is happening in the low end. I have used and still use a few pricy subs but for a home setup I have the Event ASP8's with a KRK RP10 sub and also ns10's but I use the sub almost all the time.
Old 12th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

If you can afford the 6a's, go for it. If you can, a/b the 6a's with M&K 1611's and the 5a's.

regards,

jhg
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 6a's are my nearfields of choice and will last you a lifetime.
No, they aren't room shakers, but they are perfect for balancing. They are definately not bass shy, they just don't have an annoying boost like many do.
A friend has 5's and they are nice small speakers, but the 6a is as good as it gets for nearfield at the price they are (IMHO)
If you want the room to shake, I do it with some big old KEF speakers that cost me $150. Fine for feeling the kick, but when I balance on the dynaudios I can hear everything in the low end.
They are nearfields after all and for that they are brilliant.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley
The 6a's are my nearfields of choice and will last you a lifetime.
No, they aren't room shakers, but they are perfect for balancing. They are definately not bass shy, they just don't have an annoying boost like many do.
A friend has 5's and they are nice small speakers, but the 6a is as good as it gets for nearfield at the price they are (IMHO)
If you want the room to shake, I do it with some big old KEF speakers that cost me $150. Fine for feeling the kick, but when I balance on the dynaudios I can hear everything in the low end.
They are nearfields after all and for that they are brilliant.
thumbsup This pretty much sums up the BM6a experience!
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
thumbsup This pretty much sums up the BM6a experience!
me too! thumbsup
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

the bm5a's are really nice, it's true. after maybe 8 months with them i feel like im beyond needing a sub. i think the 5m5a's with a sub would be much cooler than the bm6a's. not to say the 6a's arent great too, cuz they are

ive never had mixes translate the way they do when using the dyn's. it's a great thing

when i originally a/b'd the 5a's and 6a's i was checking them vs. the mackie 824's, which were what i was using at the time. it was SCARY how bad they made the mackies sound.

my vote, which happens to be where im at right now - BM5a's with a sub

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search