The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To C24 or not C24 that is the question
View Poll Results: Avid c24 or studio gear?
C24
0 Votes - 0%
BLA 12a Clone, 1073, 1176 mics ETC
2 Votes - 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th February 2012
Gear Addict

To C24 or not C24 that is the question

Hi guys, Im saving up to get a C24 and started to thibk about all the other odds and ends I need still for my studio. So maybe with some of you guys giving some input, I can make a better choice. First I was thinking of the C24 cause my partner had the old Digidesign one with the Focustrite pre in them. So mixing was a blast, all the command built into it help my work flow and it was a wow factor when artist came in. So that the main reason I want one. On the other hand I need to buy a good Comp, 1176 or EMPIRICAL LABS. Plus a few more BLA 12a Pres (API 312) clone. Plus stands, mics etc. So just wanted to get your guys take on it. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Depends in my pov...

If you mixing most of the time = c24. It's speeds up my mixing time with 5 and can do now things I never could with a mouse. My "quality" of the mix's also go up. I track outside my studio in nice outboard loaded studio's or my clients that send up the tracks to get mixed by me.

If you track the most of the time... get the outboard!
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

I will second the above posters recommendations. If OP does alot of mixing, then yes. C24 can make ones workflow vastly improve and can speed things up in a big way.
If you are mainly tracking, the C24 can also speed things up but not in such a unique way as it does for mixing. I greatly dislike the preamps. I never use them as I have plenty.
Try to find one used if possible to cut down your cost. There is always the command8 route too. I have not used a command 8 before so I am unclear on how similiar the two are as far as pt control is concerned.
Old 12th February 2013
Here for the gear

I have lusted over the C24 ever since I got my HD rig. Finally got the money for it two years ago after a profitable tour. Actually I was debating between the C24 and an Icon D Command (8 channels worth) I am really happy I took the C24. I gotta say, however much I wanted it, I had no idea I would like it as much as I do. Mixes DO get better simply because the ease of use and the way the automation functions just begs you to try all sorts of creative things. It is like Pro Tools came out of the monitor screen and became a piece of physical hardware. Many functions hidden in sub menus are right at the touch of a button. In fact, ever since I went ITB away from a Mackie and 16 track reel to reel, I actually lost the enjoyment for recording. I thought that was because it became my "job", but when I got the C24, all that joy came back in the biggest way. Turns out I just missed working with a console. My bet is when you get one, you will be happier than you thought you would be. It is a big commitment to Pro Tools, but for me that is no issue. I had it now for about 2 years and I still have a joyous feeling about it. Outboard gear is great too, and I have my share, but it is easier to get a compressor here and a mic pre there than to land the whole chunk of change for this board. The difference between most high end outboard and their Waves or UAD counterparts are small at best IMO, but the difference between the C24 and a mouse (or even some 8 channel controller like the Mackie control which I also have) is nothing short of life changing. I say get the C24, even if you DO track a lot. You can't put a price on loving what you do.
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMagog View Post
I have lusted over the C24 ever since I got my HD rig. Finally got the money for it two years ago after a profitable tour. Actually I was debating between the C24 and an Icon D Command (8 channels worth) I am really happy I took the C24. I gotta say, however much I wanted it, I had no idea I would like it as much as I do. Mixes DO get better simply because the ease of use and the way the automation functions just begs you to try all sorts of creative things. It is like Pro Tools came out of the monitor screen and became a piece of physical hardware. Many functions hidden in sub menus are right at the touch of a button. In fact, ever since I went ITB away from a Mackie and 16 track reel to reel, I actually lost the enjoyment for recording. I thought that was because it became my "job", but when I got the C24, all that joy came back in the biggest way. Turns out I just missed working with a console. My bet is when you get one, you will be happier than you thought you would be. It is a big commitment to Pro Tools, but for me that is no issue. I had it now for about 2 years and I still have a joyous feeling about it. Outboard gear is great too, and I have my share, but it is easier to get a compressor here and a mic pre there than to land the whole chunk of change for this board. The difference between most high end outboard and their Waves or UAD counterparts are small at best IMO, but the difference between the C24 and a mouse (or even some 8 channel controller like the Mackie control which I also have) is nothing short of life changing. I say get the C24, even if you DO track a lot. You can't put a price on loving what you do.
I I'm kinda of just sitting on my hands with the C24 cause Avid was talking about not having support for it come PT11. I'm not sure if they will release a new controller or not. Hey I might be able to pick one up cheaper if they stop making them. Ill play it by hear, I starting thinking maybe I should just invest my cash into things that will support the quality of my mix like out board compressors, more pres and far better mic. Thanks for your reply bud!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search