The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar/Amp/Modeling Advice Required Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

I think a Fender Blues Jr and a Marchall JCM 900 are good amps and your guitars sound cool as well. You should be able to get a good sound with them. What mics are you using?

A Sm57 is a good mic for that, and the Sennheiser md409 is brilliant, as another poster said (just hang it from the top of the speaker and voila, instant great sound).

But even other standard dynamic mics (sm58, Sennheiser MD421) should be good to mic a guitar amp.

Amp modelling is to my mind inferior in sound to mic'd amps, but it has some other advantages (tweakability, you can use them on headphones and you do not have to worry about neighbours, etc...) which mean that in some cases they can be a great creative tool and you can get very good takes out of them.

Axe Fx or Pod HD shoudl be good places to start, although if you just want to try the modelled sound before putting a lot of cash down, there are lots of Pod xts out there selling for very little money. They are less good than the Pod HD, but they'll give you a flavour of what modellers do.
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

I'd agree that you should be able to get a nice sound out of a Blues Jr/JCM900 with just an 8pre and Logic.
I've got some amp sims here, PT's Eleven, Line 6's Pod Farm, IK's Amplitube, Logic's Amp Designer, and they all have a different take on what various amps should sound like. You should be able to capture something at least as credible with the actual amp.
For quick wash n go recording, maybe you'd rather just get the inspiration down and worry about production later. Modelers are pretty handy for that. I've been playing with a Zoom G3 lately, and it's great. No menus, just three stompbox displays with knobs, 100 or so pedal/amp models, and it has a nice looper built-in. You get a stereo processed out plus a DI unprocessed out for reamping later, it runs off a couple AA batteries and fits in the pouch on my travel guitar bag. I've even used it's USB interface as a front-end for MainStage/Amplitube combining the G3 effects with the software modelers.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Avid will not be dropping support for the Eleven Rack anytime soon. It's not on the list of End of Life legacy interfaces and it will be supported in PT11 and well beyond that.
Old 25th February 2012
Looking at Pod HD 500 sim/pedalboard all in one

For home practice & band.

At home the aux in seems good to play to track / learn stuff

And the 500 allows for 2 x guitars. ( I may have that part wrong) (Les Paul and a direct Ethernet connection to my Variax 700)

+ "set list" memory banks.

In rehearsals I suppose I would want some sort of valve / power amp only 2 x 12 combo set up (any ideas here?)

Thanks
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Nut

You won't get a sound better than an amp. Even if you have a crappy room, you can move your amp around to find the 'sweet spot' of your room or sell one of your guitars and buy a soundproof cabinet or dome foam. Good guitarist > Nice Guitar > Nice Amp > Nice microphone > Nice preamp will sound pro, from experience if you get the guitar sounding good in the room you can record it well
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear
If you are in a hurry, or if you don't have the ideal space or conditions for a nice amp, sims are OK. To me they are still on the bad side of mediocre. Then again, if i have a song idea in the wee hours of the morning, they are great to get those ideas down.

As far as sound quality goes, think of your favorite guitar players. When you go to see them live are they using real amps or sims? What are they using in the studio? I am sure the newer pop albums are using sims. But when guitarists from Clapton to Van Halen, or Malmsteen to Mark Trimonti, or Brad Paisley to Kieth Urban (the list can go on, and on), are in the studio they mostly use "real" amps. These guys have a choice of anything they want. That in and of itself speaks volumes. Sure you may read where some famous guitarists have used sims at on time or another, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Keyword here being "Famous" guitarist.

All that being said, I really wish my ears couldn't tell the difference between real and sim, it would be a lot cheaper that way.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
If you are in a hurry, or if you don't have the ideal space or conditions for a nice amp, sims are OK. To me they are still on the bad side of mediocre. Then again, if i have a song idea in the wee hours of the morning, they are great to get those ideas down.

As far as sound quality goes, think of your favorite guitar players. When you go to see them live are they using real amps or sims? What are they using in the studio? I am sure the newer pop albums are using sims. But when guitarists from Clapton to Van Halen, or Malmsteen to Mark Trimonti, or Brad Paisley to Kieth Urban (the list can go on, and on), are in the studio they mostly use "real" amps. These guys have a choice of anything they want. That in and of itself speaks volumes. Sure you may read where some famous guitarists have used sims at on time or another, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Keyword here being "Famous" guitarist.

All that being said, I really wish my ears couldn't tell the difference between real and sim, it would be a lot cheaper that way.
AC/DCs latest album used a ton of sims. Just sayin. There are two sides to every story. Steve Vai is one of the best ever and uses an Axe. So does Petrucci.

Of course most people are going to choose real amps over sims. There's a psychological effect to the cost. Most assume that $3000 amp into $1000 mic into $2000 preamp in $50,000 room sounds better than $1000 Pod HD... It's no different than using any other high end gear. Without a double blind test, no one can definitively say WHAT they prefer... Even if they think they know.

Also- louder equals better to the human ear due to fletcher Munson effect. You need to crank a tube amp to get "that" sound, so people do. Not so with a sim. So you have the possibility that low level listening creates bias as well.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear maniac

The Axe FX and such are seeing more stage use than studio, it seems. Of course real amplifiers sound better, so that's what gets recorded. But, for touring it's mug simpler and consistent to go straight into the sound system with a modeler than a massive rig. The users of the Axe FX are using them on stage, not in the studio.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender, and Vandal.
I can never seem to get the tone I want from Amplitube and although it's fun trying different combinations, I usually end up using Vandal. It sounds good and for some reason I can find a good tone fairly fast.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear interested

Well here's an idea. Why not try one of the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister amps? All valve, apparently very flexible and you can switch it to silent recording and run it straight into the computer. Or an Egnater rebel 30 & do the same thing...
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
AC/DCs latest album used a ton of sims. Just sayin. There are two sides to every story. Steve Vai is one of the best ever and uses an Axe. So does Petrucci.

Of course most people are going to choose real amps over sims. There's a psychological effect to the cost. Most assume that $3000 amp into $1000 mic into $2000 preamp in $50,000 room sounds better than $1000 Pod HD... It's no different than using any other high end gear. Without a double blind test, no one can definitively say WHAT they prefer... Even if they think they know.

Also- louder equals better to the human ear due to fletcher Munson effect. You need to crank a tube amp to get "that" sound, so people do. Not so with a sim. So you have the possibility that low level listening creates bias as well.
I respect your opinion, but you are over simplifying. People can tell the difference. If you cant. well good for you. It's not about loud versus not loud (silly). You ever hear that "AXE" sim unit without the effects turned on? it sounds like (_o_)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search