The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summing the master channel
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Summing the master channel

What does "summing the master channel" mean?
Old 11th May 2006
Lou Judson
Nothing. You need more than one channel to sum anything.

Don't believe everythiing you read here either.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Summing is basically adding the different channels together to make a stereo (left/right) output. Your DAW does this ITB - though the quality is questionable - which is why many people now have summing mixers that they send all their individual tracks to (eg. vocals, guitars, bass, snare, kick), to then be "summed" into a stereo channel that can go back to the DAW to be bounced, out to the monitors for playback and further mixing or maybe even to tape

You can sum the master stereo out into a mono signal (i.e. add the left and the right together to have a mono signal coming out of both speakers) which is a great mixing tool.

This helps in making sure that each instrument is sitting in its own 'pocket' and has its own space in the mix. From here you can then apply eq. It also helps to tweak levels, before reverting back to stereo monitoring to continue the mix.

This a basic summary, in a simple practical sense. Please don't me on technicalities... I'm still just a newb myself.

Last edited by Reza; 11th May 2006 at 08:50 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search