The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
a bad idea to daisy chain AC distros/conditioners?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

a bad idea to daisy chain AC distros/conditioners?

alrighty,

is it a bad idea to daisy chain say 3 furman 10-outlet AC conditioners from 1 AC outlet if almost the 30 total outlets are being used?

this would be in europe, 220/240V if it makes a difference to the loading or whatever.

regards,

richie.
Old 11th May 2006

The biggest question is: Can the circuit handle the load?

You'd be better off to use a 3-way break-out and plug the conditioners into it.

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks tiny,

i figured it was probably best avoided.

i have one of those extension-leads-on-a-roll with 3 sockets anyway so what am i on about?!

regards,

richie.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Actually it is just fine to do if you have enough amps on the first device. For example I have (3) ETA sequential startup racks coming out of my Equitek 3RQ. The only thing you can NOT do is put a sequential startup device in front of the main unit (in my chain the Equitek). Hope this helps........
Old 11th May 2006

The problem is that when you daisy chain, you set yourself up for ground loops.

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

From what I understand, you're best off trying to spread things out like a tree:

The Trunk being your mains

Then split it out into branches

and each branch has your devices

In my case, I use a Furman power conditioner plugged to the wall, then have my rack devices plugged in to that, and one powersquid (like a power strip) comes out of that to my computer, nearfields, and harddrive. Ideally, I would split the power before the furman and run my computer gear off the second branch, but I am trying to avoid rf noise, etc.

Keep in mind that I'm working at people's homes or practice spaces, typically, so I want to avoid using more than one outlet if possible, since I don't know how they are wired up to the mains of the location. Ground loops typically occur when you have two power sources that are far enough out of phase to cause problems (I think!) And shocks can occur if only one of those power sources is grounded, and the other is not (like when you play someplace live and keep getting shocked by the mic body.)
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

hmmm...

Then why would you branch your power supply before the furman? Even though both are powered by the same outlet, isn't the furman's output clean current, whilst your other half comes in variant and polluted? And isn't that going to create a mini loop situation as you hook up both sides?

As far as I know, apart from ground loops and power surge protection, the main purpose of a power conditioner is to stabilize the current's sinewave. You're in the same main loop source (main outlet), but aren't your nearfields going to benefit from a cleaner source? longevity and protection for the computer too?

The only thing I cant think of is that your model can't feed so many devices, and I'm for the first time setting up a hi-end location minimalist setup too... so if you can't overload a Furman due to your power needs, are you sure one single outlet can handle it all?

I'm just assuming to debate!

Also, suggestions on certain models are frankly welcome. I've stated looking into the Furman line and was actually pleasantly surprised with some ebay quotes. But my knowledge on watts and amps gets really messy really quick with so much gear needs and variations.
I'm thinking on getting this thing rigged up to it's limit, but I'm still working out the setup.

17/10HE Kombicase Winkelrack Flightcase L-Rack NEU 19" en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 16-ene-08 23:05:46 H.Esp)

Please advise...
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Audio View Post
hmmm...

Then why would you branch your power supply before the furman? Even though both are powered by the same outlet, isn't the furman's output clean current, whilst your other half comes in variant and polluted? And isn't that going to create a mini loop situation as you hook up both sides?

As far as I know, apart from ground loops and power surge protection, the main purpose of a power conditioner is to stabilize the current's sinewave. You're in the same main loop source (main outlet), but aren't your nearfields going to benefit from a cleaner source? longevity and protection for the computer too?

The only thing I cant think of is that your model can't feed so many devices, and I'm for the first time setting up a hi-end location minimalist setup too... so if you can't overload a Furman due to your power needs, are you sure one single outlet can handle it all?

I'm just assuming to debate!

Also, suggestions on certain models are frankly welcome. I've stated looking into the Furman line and was actually pleasantly surprised with some ebay quotes. But my knowledge on watts and amps gets really messy really quick with so much gear needs and variations.
I'm thinking on getting this thing rigged up to it's limit, but I'm still working out the setup.

17/10HE Kombicase Winkelrack Flightcase L-Rack NEU 19" en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 16-ene-08 23:05:46 H.Esp)

Please advise...
I do typically branch things after the Furman, the only reason I'd hook up the computer and hard drive before the Furman is that those devices don't benefit from the power conditioning, and my thinking being that putting them outside of the furman would reduce the draw through it, possibly keeping it a little cleaner. But, in practice, it doesn't seem to matter, the Furman easily handles the full load, so I just run everything through it.

That rack case looks pretty nice, might be a pain to move if working by yourself, but otherwise I'm all for keeping the setup quick and a piece like that would help!

Good luck!
Old 13th February 2008
Lives for gear

Just use one power conditioner, then branch from that using standard power strips. Match the power conditioner to the breaker. Make sure the power conditioner is rated higher than the breaker regarding amps.

No need to buy more than one power conditioner per breaker circuit.
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

Right !

It is exactly this previous post that makes me scared of frying something!

anyone please care to explain what this last post means I am affraid Shakespears lingo aint in no way my main logorreic playground of lexical promiscuity, and thus hence often if not either then patato, I get lost in translation...

live to learn...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search