The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Headphones for mixing? Studio Monitors
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Addict

Best Headphones for mixing?

I produce electronic music and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on a great pair of mixing/studio headphones. To be honest my monitoring situation sucks at the moment (m-audio bm5a's in an untreated room) but due to my current living conditions (lack of available space), a proper room treatment is not possible at the moment. Even though the bm5a's suck I still am able to work with them. I have a limited budget as I will be picking up the DSI Tempest, Thermionic Culture Vulture, and the Waves analog classics collection. That leaves me between $500 - $750 for either new monitors (was thinking of the HS80m's) OR a nice pair of studio headphones and get the monitors later.

Any advice? I know monitoring on speakers would be preferred, but I feel like I would not be adding anything to my setup as my room will still not be treated.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

I really like my Beyerdynamic DT770s for dance music mixing. I also really like my Sony MDR-7506s. I think even if you have an untreated room and are limited to low volumes, a set of speakers is essential. The Yamaha HS-80s are nice for that price range.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search